Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

I'm posting this pic. It's very graphic but shows what can happen when you don't wear the proper foot gear while riding.

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    It is too damn hot out here to wear anything in the summer time....
    Umm.. NOT a good visual.

I know lots of Las Vegans ride early in the morning or at night.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Saw a guy yesterday on a Harley riding without a shirt. Would you say he was an idiot?

I don't always wear a jacket. I do always wear long pants (jeans), boots and gloves and a long sleeved shirt. Those Items are needed to get on a military installation anyway. Someone mentioned about getting sunburned. You can get sunburned through a long sleeved shirt. White shirts do not always reflect sun and can in fact allow uv rays through the fabric. There are comfortable long sleeved shirts that have a sunblock built in. You want a shirt that blocks uv and uvb rays. Need to consider wind burn as well. For those of us that wear half helmets, consider sunblock for the face. Especially the nose. Otherwise you end up looking like a raccoon. Lowes is currently selling a product for folks who work or exercise outside. It is a bandana or a towel that you wet, snap and put on. It will cool up to two hours. I have the bandana. It works pretty good. I don't wear it while riding, only when working outside. We do have the First Gear mess jackets.

I'm posting this pic. It's very graphic but shows what can happen when you don't wear the proper foot gear while riding.

Man, You made me pretty much throw up with that picture. Thats disgusting.I would never wear flip flops to ride. Even though the Spyder is a lot safer, its still a unprotected vehicle. Guys, if you're not looking to spend too much money.

Check out www.motorcyclehouse.com for some good deals. I picked up some Armor on theres for less than $50. Either that,or check out craigslist if you're on a budget
    Don't regret it!!!

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding Jackets in the Summer

It is too damn hot out here to wear anything in the summer time.
    I try to be at least most the gear most the time. But it is damn near impossible to find any jackets that aren't black or otherwise dark colored. Wearing anything heavier than a thin long sleeve WHITE shirt in the summer is suicide. Even that is difficult at times and I find myself wetting the shirt down frequently.

If the weather is permissible, by all means wear a jacket. But out here, in the heat, wearing a jacket is the difference between choosing to prevent scrapes that MIGHT happen or not get heat stroke, which WILL happen. Heck, I only go long sleeve to prevent sunburn. Though I wear jeans and boots all the time regardless whether I'm riding or not.
    I ride ATGATT in Phoenix on our hottest days, but add a cooling best. I found it to be pretty intolerable in traffic jams, but in motion, it's really not any hotter than sitting around in a lawn chair in the sun. I just don't burn as bad...right foot excluded. I usually flip up my modular helmet and zip down my jacket, till traffic gets moving again. It just takes some getting used to and keeping well hydrated. I usually keep a camelback strapped on for easy access. I will admit it's been tempting to go with less at times, but I'll remain chicken and error on the side of safety.

Things get a bit more interesting in high humidity days. Those are days I usually pass on riding.

Spyder Garage

Default What to wear

I took a short 2 mile ride to pick up something from the 7-11 and caught a bee on the knuckle, now I always wear gloves.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Jacket

We have two of the Arthur Fulmer mesh with remove able inner cold weather jackets that have been tested to forty degrees F. we found them to be extremely heavy feeling but very warm. My spouse was impressed by the reflectivity factor and visibility factor.

For hot weather riding we normally wear high visibility vests and hi-vis shirts , long sleeve made with hot weather moisture wicking abilities... We each have a hot lime green or red nylon end proof jacket for those cool morning rides...

Helmets for those extremely cold days we have full face Black Arthur Fulmer with clear drop down windscreens and slide into the shell dark color sunscreens... Trimmed in white reflective pin stripe tape. For summer wear hers is a half shell with a cut away smoke half shield and rigid visor that snaps over the smoke shield.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default tourmaster

Tourmaster Trinity 3 has been great. So Far this season 39F and so far 92F. The liner and the mesh together are great even at 80F with the "Pipeline" vents open, though if you do not lean forward you can feel a bit like a parachute
    I'm sure they have a comparable one in the men's line. My husband also wears a Tourmaster on our sportbike.
    I have purchased all my gear over the years from Competition Accessories, they are very helpful and knowledgeable

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Anything?
    That's right! Ride Nekkid!
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Default Summer riding gear...

Rev-It Airwave jacket... and Airwave riding mesh pants when out on the highway. Mesh gloves, and full faced helmet always.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Mesh jackets

We haveArthur Fulmer high vis jackets with a removable liner and have yet to wear them on a cold day that turned hot so as to have to remove the liners. They are very warm. Tested to 40 degree F.

Find them to be heavy to pickup. But you don't notice the weight when on.

For summer time in FL we will wear Columbia windbreakers in high visibility colors they stay wadded up in the RTL bags along with our reflective safety vests.

We also both wear gloves she has multi colors because they have to color coordinate. Mine are a set of million mile tan deerskins that look like they have been rode hard and wet more then once. But they are so comfortable all year long now that I have heated grips.

For FL summer wear she buys me Columbia hi vis long sleeve summer tee-shirts☺ to protect from sun damage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's right! Ride Nekkid!
    Oh GREAT! Now I've got to poke my mind's eye out...AGAIN!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob

I hope that's not your foot?

Spyder Garage

At my house today it was 112.1 on one thermometer and 112.4 on the other one. Take your pick but I was not out riding with or without a jacket. The low tonight is suppose to be 86 which means it will be 90+ so the riding season here is just about over.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post

Bob

I hope that's not your foot?
    I've never done anything quite like that to it; but the surgeons have a couple of times!

(Diabetic ulcerations and a charcot foot...)