Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting Observation on BRP Adjustable Air Deflectors

This morning while on my commute I changed the position of the BRP adjustable air deflectors to see how they would redirect air flow toward me. Well I got an unexpected result. When I flipped them back with the front end open, I did get more air flow along the sides of the Spyder toward the seat. But when I placed my hand up at the deflector I noticed the air flow across the engine compartment vent was causing more hot air to be 'sucked' out of the engine compartment. I think getting more heat out from under the Tupperware is a good thing but that means the air coming across my legs will be slightly warmer.

More observations are required.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    This morning while on my commute I changed the position of the BRP adjustable air deflectors to see how they would redirect air flow toward me. Well I got an unexpected result. When I flipped them back with the front end open, I did get more air flow along the sides of the Spyder toward the seat. But when I placed my hand up at the deflector I noticed the air flow across the engine compartment vent was causing more hot air to be 'sucked' out of the engine compartment. I think getting more heat out from under the Tupperware is a good thing but that means the air coming across my legs will be slightly warmer.

More observations are required.
    I have run over 2700 miles so far after installing the adjustable air deflectors on my RTS. I have found that the biggest difference will be at highway speeds of 55 or 60 or more. It does provide more air to lower torso and thighs. When it is cool weather they do block the air for a more comfortable ride. I am still on the fence as to weather the mid position or the full tilt position makes much difference. Overall It is a plus for a cooler ride in warm weather and a warmer ride in cold without having to install and remove the old ones at seasonal changes. I give them a
    I haven't really checked on the vents from engine bay having more or less air flow. I'll look into that.

Stan
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I think you will find that you also suck hot air out of the body vents with the deflectors set straight back (middle position). That air is channeled past your legs, but the passenger may get it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife loves them In cool weather, as I swing them out it, it keeps her legs much warmer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another opinion

I just recently purchased a set. Best BRP accessory purchased yet! Being in FL they won't get set to closed very often. But to find out how they worked I closed them at 70 degrees on a ride and stopped in less then 10 miles. To hot! I have found half to be optimum for under 70/85. Full should work well for 85/95. 95/+ you wont find me riding but sitting in the AC. All numbers are in degrees F not MPH!

As a side benefit I am noticing cooler feet. But that remains to be an open topic at this time.
    We have only ridden about 200 miles since installing them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    I just recently purchased a set. Best BRP accessory purchased yet! Being in FL they won't get set to closed very often. But to find out how they worked I closed them at 70 degrees on a ride and stopped in less then 10 miles. To hot! I have found half to be optimum for under 70/85. Full should work well for 85/95. 95/+ you wont find me riding but sitting in the AC. All numbers are in degrees F not MPH!

As a side benefit I am noticing cooler feet. But that remains to be an open topic at this time.
    We have only ridden about 200 miles since installing them.
    Bob, I too just purchased mine and have just about 300 miles. I'm not noticing a whole helluva lotta difference. However, I haven't been on any super slabs yet. My right foot is still burning up. Like some others the rubber is coming off the tennies. (2013 RT-S )

Chris

Spyder Garage

Question

Any back seater feedback when used in 90/100+ conditions would be appreciated before I pop for them.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No ninety degree days here just yet ; but I am convinced that leaving them in the center position has improved my fuel economy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    No ninety degree days here just yet ; but I am convinced that leaving them in the center position has improved my fuel economy...
    Come on down......it's looking like we'll be going over 110 around the first of June.....once there......it'll be like that until October. Oh boy!! NOT!

Better gas mileage......that works for me. For sure

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks; but I think that I'll stay put... Our summers seem to peak "only" in the mid-nineties!

Spyder Garage

I prefer just leaving them off- Better mileage-runs cooler!
    We are going to have a "Heat Wave" in CT which means 3 days of 90 degree heat- Not sure you have that Term in the Deep South?
    I know my brother in Alabama has High Heat and Humidity ALL summer. I prefer 40-50 Degrees with the thermal suit and bala clava under the helmet!!!

Luckily CT only averages about 21 90 Degree days all summer Thanks to the Canadien fronts that visit off and on thru the summer.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Down South; they call three days in the nineties, "A cool spell... "!

Spyder Garage

I've got a lot of warm weather experience with them now. I'm not feeling the warmer air but that might be due to other mods. They work and are better than not having any deflector which is how I did last summer. I've also got the Bakers and I've played with each on and off. The Bakers put out a LOT more airflow.I Like having both since I'm in SW FL BUT if I could have only one, it would be the Bakers, hands down.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Interesting Observation on BRP Adjustable Air Deflectors

Had my 14k last month pulled the right pan off this weekend to see if i could improve on heat defection with spyderpops shields on noticed antifreeze & oil on it. Left it off took to dealer they're doing the H20 pump today. Driving to dealer without floor pan on made ALL difference think Ill leave it off. Any thoughts on this fix? :o

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Had my 14k last month pulled the right pan off this weekend to see if i could improve on heat defection with spyderpops shields on noticed antifreeze & oil on it. Left it off took to dealer they're doing the H20 pump today. Driving to dealer without floor pan on made ALL difference think Ill leave it off. Any thoughts on this fix? :o

Might start a different thread with THIS issue. There might be others that would like to chime in and didn't because they don't have air deflectors.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post

I believe SPYDERPOPS recommends removing the plastic pans under the Spyder if installing his block off shields. Took mine off almost a year ago and they are still off...probably never to be installed again.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I have the adjustable deflectors, Baker Air Wings and SpyderPops plate and so far, the only time the heat is too bad is when stopped. One thing I do notice is if the deflector is turned in it really tends to blow up my t-shirt, causing my concealed .45 to be exposed. This is OK in GA but frowned on in FL ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Talking

Just installed the deflectors. Don't find them as aesthetically pleasing as the fixed chrome. Closed they look like dumbo ears and they're moderately clumsy to operate.

They'll get tested tomorrow. It was still a hundred and one here at 7:30 PM tonight and that's about the time I'll be getting back tomorrow night. With no sun in the equation it should be a fair test.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-02-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Not worth the money for me

For me, the difference they make is very small and not worth the money. I've had them on during the colder months and now that its getting hot have had a chance to experiment with the 3 diff settings. It "seems" that i get slightly more flow on my feet with them closed...that is, pushed forward. Straight position seems to direct the air on the upper legs. Open all the way doesn't seem to do much of anything. But again, we all feel things differently; a buddy of mine has never had any complaints about hot foot, and his RT is box stock! He doesn't understand my fuss about it.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Just installed the deflectors. Don't find them as aesthetically pleasing as the fixed chrome. Closed they look like dumbo ears and they're moderately clumsy to operate.
    Reluctantly; with Jer's assessment...

Spyder Garage

Default Adjustable Air Wings

Ride report.

Wind wings in position two - first click open. FYI - this test and future testing will go like this. Wings in one position the entire ride. Then the next entire ride in another position in similar conditions. This should make differences in settings obvious. At least that's my thinking and the way I will proceed.

Return time and route had to be altered. Back seater (pillion) was struck with altitude sickness. More to it than that but won't go into details. Other than to say....if you have any kind of heart issues you take med's for. Understand they're likely not going to protect you quite as well at altitude. Just a tip. In the end she's fine and a trooper for sure. Flexibility and road trips should always go hand in hand. It's about the journey.

Ended up logging about three hundred miles for the day(even with extended down time for her) but, it was near midnight before we got back to the desert, and the temp gauge under the hood was only reading 91 degrees. It was hotter than that at 7:30 AM when we left.....98 degrees.

What I did notice. Deflectors in the mid position do an excellent job of putting air directly on my knees(may, or may not, be the same for you - my saddle is two inches taller than stock and I have a 34" inseam). More air on the knees is a good thing. In the past(in hot conditions) I've often had the sensation a magnifying glass was focused on my knees. Knee hot spots should not be a problem going forward. That's great!

Passenger noticed nothing reportable - positive or negative, about air flow from the deflectors. That said, there are so many variables that could come into play here. How high/low the windshield is being one of them. More testing needs to be done, and will be doing that on future rides.

Of note. Some have mentioned that hot air was being siphoned up from the exhaust vent just under and behind the deflectors. Seems to be a valid observation. Tho until tested in real heat won't know if it's a big deal?

Personal opinion.

Had it been myself who asked engineering to redesign the wind deflectors, I'd have asked them to incorporate a ram air intake for the upper out flow vents(both sides). At speed the scoops would force cooler air into the engine compartment and still allow air to escape when setting still.

To be continued.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Ride report.

Wind wings in position two - first click open. FYI - this test and future testing will go like this. Wings in one position the entire ride. Then the next entire ride in another position in similar conditions. This should make differences in settings obvious. At least that's my thinking and the way I will proceed.

Return time and route had to be altered. Back seater (pillion) was struck with altitude sickness. More to it than that but won't go into details. Other than to say....if you have any kind of heart issues you take med's for. Understand they're likely not going to protect you quite as well at altitude. Just a tip. In the end she's fine and a trooper for sure. Flexibility and road trips should always go hand in hand. It's about the journey.

Ended up logging about three hundred miles for the day(even with extended down time for her) but, it was near midnight before we got back to the desert, and the temp gauge under the hood was only reading 91 degrees. It was hotter than that at 7:30 AM when we left.....98 degrees.

What I did notice. Deflectors in the mid position do an excellent job of putting air directly on my knees(may, or may not, be the same for you - my saddle is two inches taller than stock and I have a 34" inseam). More air on the knees is a good thing. In the past(in hot conditions) I've often had the sensation a magnifying glass was focused on my knees. Knee hot spots should not be a problem going forward. That's great!

Passenger noticed nothing reportable - positive or negative, about air flow from the deflectors. That said, there are so many variables that could come into play here. How high/low the windshield is being one of them. More testing needs to be done, and will be doing that on future rides.

Of note. Some have mentioned that hot air was being siphoned up from the exhaust vent just under and behind the deflectors. Seems to be a valid observation. Tho until tested in real heat won't know if it's a big deal?

Personal opinion.

Had it been myself who asked engineering to redesign the wind deflectors, I'd have asked them to incorporate a ram air intake for the upper out flow vents(both sides). At speed the scoops would force cooler air into the engine compartment and still allow air to escape when setting still.

To be continued.
    I have that magnifying glass feeling but a little higher up and so much so that my skin will be red. Did you feel any difference on your thighs?

Thanks for the write up and I'm looking forward to your test reports from all of the positions.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have that magnifying glass feeling but a little higher up and so much so that my skin will be red. Did you feel any difference on your thighs?

Thanks for the write up and I'm looking forward to your test reports from all of the positions.
    Hard to know, it's such a personal thing. But, here's my thinking. Your hip rotation is most likely more than mine, meaning your thighs are not level but sloping horizontally from hip to knee. If so, I do think they will help because they should flow air across that area when in position two. At least I hope they will do that for you

Spyder Garage

A couple of notes:

a) I had them installed on my RT-S 2013 out the dealer, so comparing it to my old 2010 RT... BIG AIRFLOW DIFFERENCE!! Especially with the heat coming out of the right side. Put Spyderpops block plate, and I feel it once in a while (I think it's the Cat coverter coming from the seat), but nothing that I am suffering from melting shoes. But opened in hot weather, I feel a nice breeze, closed in cold weather, keeps the breeze away. 3 postions, works for me!

b) There is also the Baker Wings that some owners swear by them... might want to consider those. But IMPO they are more sailboat sails than BRP's Dumbo Ears.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    A couple of notes:

a) I had them installed on my RT-S 2013 out the dealer, so comparing it to my old 2010 RT... BIG AIRFLOW DIFFERENCE!! Especially with the heat coming out of the right side. Put Spyderpops block plate, and I feel it once in a while (I think it's the Cat coverter coming from the seat), but nothing that I am suffering from melting shoes. But opened in hot weather, I feel a nice breeze, closed in cold weather, keeps the breeze away. 3 postions, works for me!

b) There is also the Baker Wings that some owners swear by them... might want to consider those. But IMPO they are more sailboat sails than BRP's Dumbo Ears.
    Considered the new Baker wings that attach to the water deflectors(no interest in the FULL SAIL VERSION). Requested additional pic's when he posted about them, but he never responded. So, I didn't buy. Simple enough.

If anyone has installed them - stand alone - I'd really like to hear a report and see pictures.