Spyder Garage

Default Help ...need help with SE5 oil change kit... HELP!!

Since my Maintenance contract was up, I decided to do some wrenching myself.

Got a Spyder 2008 GS SE5 oil change kit: the large bottom oil filter, little higher up 'transmission filter", o rings, brass washers for the tank drain and the engine drain. Took 45 min to get off all the "tupperware" (not bad from a wheelchair with one leg), and 2 hours to get the over torqued tank bolt out (like to chew out the last mechanic that must have had the strength of Superman...I bent 2 Allen wrenches before it came loose).

HELP!!
    the instruction sheet directions and photos for the li'l trannie filter, Does not clarify. The old filter had a hole opening with a rubber gasket on each end (not the O ring). The new one has a solid metal cover on one end and a hole with a rubber gasket on the other. It wasn't saying if the solid end inserted into the new filter cover or it was to be facing the engine. I put it in with the rubber gasket facing the engine and the solid metal end facing away from engine, snug into the outside filter cover.

Did I do it right, or do I have to tear it apart and reverse it?
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

you got it right.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...p-by-Lamonster here is a step by step video that might help you out.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats..!!

your good to go.. if your going to do your own wrenching invest in a manual..online Green Manuals...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Also invest in the proper sockets and a torque wrench. The use of Allen wrenches (hex keys) will ruin the plugs in short order....and will likely result in the plugs being too tight or too loose most of the time.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

I'd suggest you also invest in "Gold Plug" drain plugs. Purchased these for my 2010 RT-S. They're hex head with a heavy magnet end. Much easier to work with. The allen socket on the OEM is almost too small for the torque that some dealer mechs apply thus making it difficult to break free. I have Snap-On tools including their hex wrenches and my first attempt at removing an OEM plug nearly resulted in rounding out the plug hex. I'm like you in that my maintenance contract was up and I now perform all my own service. Just Google "Gold Plugs" Thier site is very easy to work with and has a plug selection based on your bike/auto application. You won't need to know the thread size as you select it from thier site. Have all the Spyder models available.

Spyder Garage

thanks guys.
    figured since the bottom filter had no opening on the side into the cover, away from the engine...so it made sense to my ignorant mind that the top filter would be likewise. Like to yell at the photobug and writer of the shop sheet in the kit for not specifying which end was in and which was out.

thanks for info on the hex nut...the stock allen head hole is ridiculous
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    your good to go.. if your going to do your own wrenching invest in a manual..online Green Manuals...
    got an email address for this green manual?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    got an email address for this green manual?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-20...56f810&vxp=mtr

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SllimG View Post
    you got it right.
    Whew!! Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Thanks. BTW what's a Green Manuel? like a Clymer manual "Spyders for Dummies"?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    I'd suggest you also invest in "Gold Plug" drain plugs. Purchased these for my 2010 RT-S. They're hex head with a heavy magnet end. Much easier to work with. The allen socket on the OEM is almost too small for the torque that some dealer mechs apply thus making it difficult to break free. I have Snap-On tools including their hex wrenches and my first attempt at removing an OEM plug nearly resulted in rounding out the plug hex. I'm like you in that my maintenance contract was up and I now perform all my own service. Just Google "Gold Plugs" Thier site is very easy to work with and has a plug selection based on your bike/auto application. You won't need to know the thread size as you select it from thier site. Have all the Spyder models available.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Thanks Big Arm! I just bought a green manual too
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Default dumb question

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    when using the gold plugs, should I use the brass crush washers OEM type or should use the aluminum gold plug washers?