Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Left-Side Alternative to Right-Hand "Fly By Wire Throttle"

I am disabled and have no functional use of my right hand. I would like to buy a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, but would need to have a left-side throttle; either a left-grip throttle that turns in the convention direction; or preferably a left foot throttle. While there has been several previous discussions by others on this topic, the ideas seemed to involve cable throttle systems. As most of you know, the Spyder Rt has been using a "fly by wire" system since 2010. Has anyone heard of a left-foot throttle (or even a left-grip throttle that accelerates by turning back to front) for the Can Am Spyder with a fly-by-wire throttle system? An alternative electronic throttle would need to be able to send the correct impulses to the Electronic Control Module. The reason I say that a left-side grip throttle would have to turn in the conventional manner/direction, is of the difficulty (and discomfort) someone who has to steer and throttle with one arm would have in that position. Picture pushing and pulling to steer and turn with your wrist cocked forward.

Any thoughts, ideas, and input would be much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Left-Side Alternative to Right-Hand "Fly By Wire Throttle"

Given the situation, perhaps a thumb throttle (left handed) could be fabricated. That way, you would have more grip potential during maneuvers? Never seen a foot throttle, but It cant be far fetched to create an assembly that sends the position of the throttle to the cpu for proper throttle response. Perhaps more will chime in soon!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that a left foot gas pedal can and has been installed on an RS. But I guess you are saying that the RS and RT have different throttle mechanisms? The pedal was installed by a company that does van and vehicle conversions for drivers with disabilities.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Does anybody have any names and address of companies that might provide left hand/foot throttles? I have a friend that lost his right arm at the shoulder to bone cancer at age 15. He has overcome any problems thrown at him by that and is now a Doctor treating cancer himself. He is looking at maybe getting a 2014 RT and I am trying to gather some information for him. Any info will be appreciated...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaguy View Post
    Does anybody have any names and address of companies that might provide left hand/foot throttles? I have a friend that lost his right arm at the shoulder to bone cancer at age 15. He has overcome any problems thrown at him by that and is now a Doctor treating cancer himself. He is looking at maybe getting a 2014 RT and I am trying to gather some information for him. Any info will be appreciated...
    Have him contact a company that does vehicle conversions. The company in Michigan that did my friend's Spyder had never done a motorcycle/Spyder before.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Seems to be..!!

the best place would be the handicap conversion folks. Cable operated throttles and fly by wire throttles require different adaptations. But they woud know and would like the challange...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

look at my video, i have left side throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    I am disabled and have no functional use of my right hand. I would like to buy a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, but would need to have a left-side throttle; either a left-grip throttle that turns in the convention direction; or preferably a left foot throttle. While there has been several previous discussions by others on this topic, the ideas seemed to involve cable throttle systems. As most of you know, the Spyder Rt has been using a "fly by wire" system since 2010. Has anyone heard of a left-foot throttle (or even a left-grip throttle that accelerates by turning back to front) for the Can Am Spyder with a fly-by-wire throttle system? An alternative electronic throttle would need to be able to send the correct impulses to the Electronic Control Module. The reason I say that a left-side grip throttle would have to turn in the conventional manner/direction, is of the difficulty (and discomfort) someone who has to steer and throttle with one arm would have in that position. Picture pushing and pulling to steer and turn with your wrist cocked forward.

Any thoughts, ideas, and input would be much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

awesome video. thanks for posting it!

Spyder Garage

Wow! Great video and ingenious mods. I hope you have many years and miles enjoying this ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

Awesome video! Good for you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

That was terrific! Just goes to show you, anything you set your mind to you can do. Wishing you many happy miles.

PS I taught a triple amputee to fly with prosthesis. He got his Commercial and Instrument. We also have a young girl here in Tucson that was born with no arms who just got her private license. She does not use prosthesis but flys with her feet.

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

I found a Can Am dealer in London, UK who can do a left hand fly-by-wire throttle and are doing one for me along with a left hand brake as I type. They are www.gsjettech.co.uk and the engineer is Ian. Might not be handy for most of you, but, I believe he buys his parts from the States and might be able to point you in the right direction!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I found a Can Am dealer in London, UK who can do a left hand fly-by-wire throttle and are doing one for me along with a left hand brake as I type. They are www.gsjettech.co.uk and the engineer is Ian. Might not be handy for most of you, but, I believe he buys his parts from the States and might be able to point you in the right direction!

I believe you must have meant http://www.gsjettech.com/. The link above does not work.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very inspirational...

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

Pictures of my left hand conversion are now on GS Jet Tech's Facebook page (just search GS Jet Tech on Facebook) and you'll see my yellow STS.

The only issue I've found with it so far is that trying to change up whilst still holding the throttle open can be a challenge.

Registered Users Top End Unlimited's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Impressed !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Henning View Post
    look at my video, i have left side throttle.

I am so proud of you for sticking to it and getting it done. We have to many people out in this world that have the "poor me " attitude.

Great job ! I wished I could visit Norway just to meet you. Have a great day ! Enjoy the ride !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Top End Unlimited View Post
    I am so proud of you for sticking to it and getting it done. We have to many people out in this world that have the "poor me " attitude.

Great job ! I wished I could visit Norway just to meet you. Have a great day ! Enjoy the ride !
    Thank you! here is my new video

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pictures of my left hand conversion are now on GS Jet Tech's Facebook page (just search GS Jet Tech on Facebook) and you'll see my yellow STS.

The only issue I've found with it so far is that trying to change up whilst still holding the throttle open can be a challenge.

That looks exactly like what I need. I am a right hand amputee and need to get a left hand throttle. I will definitely talk to them. How much did that cost?
    Thanks for the info!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When the left side throttle was installed did you disconnect the right side?

Spyder Garage

I wonder what automobiles use that have drive by wire.Possibly the parts could be used on a spyder.They must use a reostat using vref or vpower.Vref is 5 volts called reference voltage vpower is vehicle power 12 volts