Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Could I Have Some Decapitation To Go With My Memorial Day, Please

So................I've got a couple errands to run yesterday (5/27/13); good reason to take the Spyder out for a spin. I'm buzzing down the state highway, just out side of town, doing 60ish. I see a flash of something bright and feel an immediate impact and burning sensation on my throat, and realize I've been "clothes lined" by something. I'd instantly let off the throttle, as the burning on my throat got worse, and could feel I was dragging something with me. I turned my head to the right, spotted a very long trailing "string"; grabbed at it and missed; then the thought flashed "you're slashing your throat, STOP you moron!" So, I stomped on the binders and whipped the Spyder off onto the shoulder ( glad I wasn't on either of my motorcycles when I did that). When I stopped; I turned my head to the right again, and could see white "string" strung out behind me (to my right and left) so far back it went out of sight. I grabbed it and pulled it off my throat, and over my helmet, and threw it off to the right. I didn't see a kite, but that's what it looked like, kite string (not real kite string, but the regular kind of string). It had been suspended across the highway by phone/power lines on the S side of the road and trees on the N side; drooping to neck level across the lanes. It had to have just fallen into place, as there was a car about a third of a mile ahead of me, and if the string had been there when it went through...............it would have snagged and dragged the string with it. My throat burned like ; I wiped the back of the fingers of my left glove on the area and looked at my glove for blood. YES! There wasn't any! If the string had been a little heavier (like real kite string), a little rougher, or either end of the string (100 + yards of it--guesstimate) had hung up on anything; there is a very real possibility my throat would have been slashed though to my spine, or I woulda' been decapitated. Oh yea.......................the three or four vehicles behind me? As I went wildly veering off the road, and started thrashing violently to get that bleepin' string off me, and checked to see how bad the damage was? Sailed right on by.....................didn't slow down a whit; let alone stop to see if I was OK.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Now that is one scary scenario. I would suggest filing a police report just in case. A deliberatly placed obstacle like that indicates there is a nut or worse lurking about. Several years ago there were some idiots that were dropping rocks on cars from overpasses across I-35 in Minnesota. One person was killed by a rock that went through the windshield and hit the driver. I believe they caught the kids that were involved.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-28-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OMG, lucky you didn't get more seriously injured. Around here there have been cases of wire strung across trails in the woods to keep mountain bikers and dirt bikers out of the woods - presumably left there by tree hugging hippies or pot growers.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate to think just how bad that could have been...
    And I'm gald that it wasn't!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad you weren't hurt any more than you were. I agree you should file a police report.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

You're damned lucky it didn't catch in the rear wheel. That could've been instant strangulation. Fortunately too it wasn't fishing line. Thank the Lord you're ok.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Wow....

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Now that is one scarey scenario. I would suggest filing a police report just in case. A deliberatly placed obstacle like that indicates there is a nut or worse lurking about. Several years ago there were some idiots that were dropping rocks on cars from overpasses across I-35 in Minnesota. One person was killed by a rock that went through the windshield and hit the driver. I believe they caught the kids that were involved.
    First of all, thank God you are ok and like Brusier said, it didn't get caught on a wheel. Like our Alaskan friend, we also had some issues in Memphis and in Puerto Rico with some punks dropping cinder blocks from overpasses, thinking it was funny. File a report just in case.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Had the same thing here with the rip rap the state puts on hills of overpasses. Punks were tossing that off bridges. Had a Canadian citizen killed here in NC a few years back on I95.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Yep, the police need to know just to be on the lookout. You are lucky man! Could have been a lot worse for sure. My son had a shopping cart thrown off of an overpass through his windshield, passenger side. He was alone at the time. Lucky he didn't wreck trying to get off the road.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am definitely glad it wasn't high strength fishing line and the injury is no where as bad as it could have been. It may be time to buy a lottery ticket, as right now you are one very lucky man.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Glad you're okay.

Spyder Garage

OMG you are one lucky biker!!!!! That could have been really baaaaddd!

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

Default Ditto on purchasing a lottery

ticket, or two. Glad to hear your ok....
    Lets ride!!!!

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

SO glad you're OK! We had a friend experience something like that in the deer woods where someone had strung a ver thin metal wire across a well-worn 4-wheeler path. Her son had his jaw sliced wide open and could have been killed. It was not the owner who did it and he was appalled that people were "managing" his property that way. Definitely file a report. That kind of stuff is so dangerous, as you know!

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

That is scary..!! Really glad you are ok...that is something your not ready fir or much less see..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Glad that you are OK

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spidergirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok. It is a good thing you kept calm. People don't stop for anything anymore, too busy to get involved. I see it all the time!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's crazy. What road were you on? I'm glad you are fine but you must of had to change your pants. For safe ryding!

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad it wasn't more serious...You were lucky...I actually knew a guy that got killed this way...he was on a motorcycle and taking a short cut through a bank parking lot...They had a wire cable pulled across and he broke his neck..,,thanks for your post..It makes everyone a little more aware of their surroundings//

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That is freaking crazy! Glad you are ok, and that it was not deadly! You just never know what is going to happen when riding!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Wow........glad you are ok,....yes it would be a good idea to file a report,....stay safe.
    2017 F3T , silver

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So very glad you weren't hurt seriously you are very lucky but your composure to get the bike stopped without having an accident is a credit to you!!

Back a long time ago when I had a snowmobile I was on a trail that was well traveled and had many pasture gates to go thru. I went thru all of them until the very last one and someone had put the very top wire across the opening. Luckily it was at night and my headlight shown on the wire and I spotted it just in time to duck and I missed the wire. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't spotted it, I was going pretty fast and at the very least it would had knocked me off the sled and probably would have been much worse, especially since I was alone. Needless to say I took the wire down and listened to see if anyone was laughing or anything.....but heard or saw nothing.
    Last edited by Spyderjockey; 05-28-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around