Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Securing jacket and helmet when stopped

When my wife and I ride, we wear both a riding jacket and pants. If we want to stop for a prolonged period of time for a rest stop/meal break, it is nice to take the jacket off. Only one helmet will fit in the saddle bag (right side) and I end up carrying my helmet and jacket into the establishment that we are stopped at.

I am considering getting a cable bike lock and I can secure the helmet(s) and jacket(s) to the bike. But before I do, I as the question of "If the frunk is almost full with items where do you store your helmet and jacket?"
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a firearm lock to tighten the helmet down to the arm-rests. I'll have a spare with me at SpyderFest if you want to try it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    When my wife and I ride, we wear both a riding jacket and pants. If we want to stop for a prolonged period of time for a rest stop/meal break, it is nice to take the jacket off. Only one helmet will fit in the saddle bag (right side) and I end up carrying my helmet and jacket into the establishment that we are stopped at.

I am considering getting a cable bike lock and I can secure the helmet(s) and jacket(s) to the bike. But before I do, I as the question of "If the frunk is almost full with items where do you store your helmet and jacket?"
    You might want to look into getting a retractable cable lock, They even have some with a built in alarm, From Arostich'
    20 to 30 dollars

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the offer but I am stuck at home recuperating from surgery. I had to have my left hip replaced and I am only 55. Well the doctor told me that my new hip would last about 20 years so my next scheduled "pit stop" for that will be a way off.

I have my follow up appointment on Thursday and then I will find out when I will be allowed to ride again

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I use a firearm lock to tighten the helmet down to the arm-rests. I'll have a spare with me at SpyderFest if you want to try it...
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Try this for helmets: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/helmet-guardian-black

Although you said your frunk has many other things, my XL helmet and jacket fit in my frunk while my girlfriend uses the right saddle bag and the trunk for her jacket and helmet.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If it's the same lock [yellow] that all the police give away they use a universal key.
    I have a few of themi use them to lock my cabinets under the sink to keep the Grand kids away from the cleaning stuff.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My XL Arai full face which does not have any external attachments will fit the right saddlebag. I have to place it on it's side facing the rear of the bike. My girlfriend's S Shoei fits facing the rear of the bike.

Spyder Garage

Default Securing jacket and helmet when stopped

Run the helmet cable lock right up the sleeve of your jacket and through your helmet. It works great!
    " SO MANY ROADS SO LITTLE TIME "
    2009 SE-5 , Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

We put both helmets in the frank by putting one in up-side-down and meshing the other into the first right-side-up and put our jackets in the side compartments. Works good for us.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the offer but I am stuck at home recuperating from surgery. I had to have my left hip replaced and I am only 55. Well the doctor told me that my new hip would last about 20 years so my next scheduled "pit stop" for that will be a way off.

I have my follow up appointment on Thursday and then I will find out when I will be allowed to ride again
    I'm sorry to hear that! Good Luck; you need to get healed up and healthy! Please let us know how you're doing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by somanyroads View Post
    Run the helmet cable lock right up the sleeve of your jacket and through your helmet. It works great!
    I have done this....

Spyder Garage

Hip precautions after a total hip replacement are typically 6-8 weeks. The precautions are no pivoting on the operated leg; no crossing the operated leg past midline, which could happen when sleeping; and the one that may cause you problems, if you try to ride to early, is not flexing the hip past 90 degrees. All of which I'm sure your dr. has already covered.

Good luck on your follow-up physical therapy and a short recovery.
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-13-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you have an RT, there are helmet hooks under the seat. You may need an extension for the strap to make some helmets work with the hook. A looped zip-tie works quite well as an extension. As was said, cable locks work, either looped through the grab bars or used as a strap extension for the helmet hooks. They will also work if looped over the nadlebars with as little slack as possible, but you have to et creative in the way you poop them...sort of a figure-eight. The cable locks work well for jackets, too, looped through a sleeve. There are a lot of nice retractible cable locks out there, including gun locks, and some made just for motorcycles. We use Pac-Safe retractable locks. Pac-Safe also used to make a reinforced helmet bag with a lock, called the Lid-Safe, but it may be out of production now.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Locking helmets

A fellow rider in my club uses this for his helmet.DSCF0235.jpg
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you have an RT, there are helmet hooks under the seat. You may need an extension for the strap to make some helmets work with the hook. A looped zip-tie works quite well as an extension. As was said, cable locks work, either looped through the grab bars or used as a strap extension for the helmet hooks. They will also work if looped over the nadlebars with as little slack as possible, but you have to et creative in the way you poop them...sort of a figure-eight. The cable locks work well for jackets, too, looped through a sleeve. There are a lot of nice retractible cable locks out there, including gun locks, and some made just for motorcycles. We use Pac-Safe retractable locks. Pac-Safe also used to make a reinforced helmet bag with a lock, called the Lid-Safe, but it may be out of production now.
    Thanks Scotty! Just ordered the PAC-Safe retractable lock from Amazon for $17.99! Hope it gets here this week...

Spyder Garage
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    A fellow rider in my club uses this for his helmet.DSCF0235.jpg
    That sort-of sends a couple messages, one of which is who may own the Spyder, and what other types of anti-theft "equipment" they may be "carrying". Great idea...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Space for..!!

Both our modular helmets in the frunk of our RS. Can get light jacket in as well. If ryding cooler weather with heavy jackets carry small backpack to put the jackets in and carry in.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Locks

There are very good ideas posted on this thread some of which I am going to look inti. Thanks guys.

Spyder Garage

When we just had the RT I put handle bar End locks on. Then when my wife got the RS, I took one off my handle bar and put it on hers. We have the G-4 headset so we just pull them off an secure them in one of the compartments. This is good as long as it doesn't rain. Living here in FL. it rains on one side of the street and is dry on the other. So most of the time if we are going on a long trip, we just pull our RT622 trailer. Problem solved. You can put everything in it.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Apparently they still make the Lid safe. I found this when looking for the PAc_Safe Retractable.
    http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe...ductid=1284702.

it looks very cool.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    Apparently they still make the Lid safe. I found this when looking for the PAc_Safe Retractable.
    http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe...ductid=1284702.

it looks very cool.
    Good to know. They are great for storing other things besides the helmet. Nancy carries one on her GS. I have swiped it to use for security when I was riding one of my naked motorcycles.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I use this as well. Works great.

Spyder Garage

Your are correct on all counts wyliec.......you must be a either a physical therapist, M.D., N.P., Nurse or had the procedure done. I did mention to the physician that I had a Spyder and that getting on the spypder was mounting a horse. He said he saw no issues but that the only thing I might have to do once I started riding was get some very stiff upholstery foam to sit on to elevate me a couple of inches so I did not break the 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Hip precautions after a total hip replacement are typically 6-8 weeks. The precautions are no pivoting on the operated leg; no crossing the operated leg past midline, which could happen when sleeping; and the one that may cause you problems, if you try to ride to early, is not flexing the hip past 90 degrees. All of which I'm sure your dr. has already covered.

Good luck on your follow-up physical therapy and a short recovery.
    Johnny

Spyder Garage

We have the RT limited it has helmet locks under the seat! Coats most of the time we drag with us to eat!