Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm about to order a new seat and am leaning towards the Ultimate...

...but I have a question for those that already have them.

I'm looking at the tan ostrich-skin-look one (my RT is lava bronze and I've seen the pictures with it on and love the look) but this is my question: their website says that it is not leather (some kind of vinyl I assume?) and that it's not waterproof.

Has anyone had any issues with this (either it not being leather and possibly not wearing as well OR issues with it not being waterproof)?

If I get the seat with everything I'd like, it's around $1500 and that's a lot if there are problems down the road (and I'm not suggesting there are, simply asking before pulling the trigger on the deal). I've thought about the Corbin as well and could be convinced to go that direction, but as I said, I'm leaning towards the Ultimate (I sat on a Corbin recently and liked it but it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be - although that could easily have been because the backrest wasn't adjusted for me).

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Gary

Spyder Garage

Talking

Leather breathes, vinyl doesn't. Meaning one is much hotter to set in/on than the other. Choices!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...but neither are waterproof...
    I threw my butt up onto the Ultimate at SpyderFest out in the heat and sun of the day; there didn't appear to be any issue with the heat.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

we've had the ultimate for a year now and just love it. I too was concerned about the non leather product, but am very pleased with the seat. I have ridden it in the rain, (with and without ) the rain cover. never an issue. kinda wished I had gotten the back rest, but what can I say-- I screwed up! the seat is just like they say. I had mine customized to get the wife up a little higher, and not have her sliding into me like the stock seat. she loves it. i'm 5' 10" and have the mid rider!

Spyder Garage

I chose the Ultimate because it wasn't leather but Marine Grade Vinyl. The only thing Ultimate warns against is water getting in the seams (stitching). Had mine put on at SF and rode home 6 hours in the rain. Had the cover on the seat part and backrest but not the passenger backrest. They said water would not stand on it so it wasn't really an issue to not cover it. Except for sun which will fade all seats over time..Main thing is, my Rear is glad I bought it!!! My Wife Loves It!!
    2011 RT LTD w/XM. And a heavily modified and happy owner.

Spyder Garage

I purchased the 2 tone brown seat From ultimate. We also have the Lava bronze RT.
    Easy to install and I absolutely love it. It was around 1500 but well worth it. Sure makes the Rt classy looking, not that it wasn't already.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    I purchased the 2 tone brown seat From ultimate. We also have the Lava bronze RT.
    Easy to install and I absolutely love it. It was around 1500 but well worth it. Sure makes the Rt classy looking, not that it wasn't already.
    Mine is supposed to be here on Thursday. AFter riding the stock seat for 2000 miles last week in about 5 days, I can't wait for mine to get here. I saw the seat at SF but it was already sold. Then I saw it after they installed it, ordered mine 5 minutes later.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for all of the input

Quote Originally Posted by GMac View Post
    ...but I have a question for those that already have them.

I'm looking at the tan ostrich-skin-look one (my RT is lava bronze and I've seen the pictures with it on and love the look) but this is my question: their website says that it is not leather (some kind of vinyl I assume?) and that it's not waterproof.

Has anyone had any issues with this (either it not being leather and possibly not wearing as well OR issues with it not being waterproof)?

If I get the seat with everything I'd like, it's around $1500 and that's a lot if there are problems down the road (and I'm not suggesting there are, simply asking before pulling the trigger on the deal). I've thought about the Corbin as well and could be convinced to go that direction, but as I said, I'm leaning towards the Ultimate (I sat on a Corbin recently and liked it but it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be - although that could easily have been because the backrest wasn't adjusted for me).

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Gary

Based on what everyone said, I just placed my order and will be riding up to Lake George sometime the first week in June to Americade to have it installed.

Thank you everyone!
    Gary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    we've had the ultimate for a year now and just love it. I too was concerned about the non leather product, but am very pleased with the seat. I have ridden it in the rain, (with and without ) the rain cover. never an issue. kinda wished I had gotten the back rest, but what can I say-- I screwed up! the seat is just like they say. I had mine customized to get the wife up a little higher, and not have her sliding into me like the stock seat. she loves it. i'm 5' 10" and have the mid rider!
    You can purchase the BackRest at any time (I think) because the mount is already built into the seat and the shipping wouldn,t be that much on a backrest. I might do this during the New Years sale this year?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat

35 years of riding I'v had many different seats, Ultimate makes my butt the happiest.

The Nip

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Any stock brown seat for sale??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry, my seat is the black one...

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Any stock brown seat for sale??
    I got my Spyder in March and it was the last 2012 in the area (they went up to NH to get it) - and beggars can't be choosers so I took the black seat (I got about $4000 off so I'm not complaining). I love the look of the brown seat though and since I wanted a backrest I decided I should go ahead and go for it and get the brown (tan) seat as well.

If I had the brown one I'd be happy to sell it to you - best of luck to you though in finding one!

Thanks,
    Gary

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thks Gary... I have a Grey 2011 RT and I'd love to have a brown seat... I think brown leather/plastic looks better than black!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

RCLSeat.jpgI have that same seat you are talking about - BIG improvement from stock and does not ride "hot". Also shown with Spyderwraps Honey Burl dash kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Huntindawg1962; 05-23-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It may have been yours I saw that inspired me to get the seat...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post
    RCLSeat.jpgI have that same seat you are talking about - BIG improvement from stock and does not ride "hot". Also shown with Spyderwraps Honey Burl dash kit.
    ...if not, it was certainly similar and I loved the combo so much I also just ordered the same dash wrap you mentioned as well. I absolutely LOVE the way it looks and can't wait to get mine looking the same way.

Thanks!
    Gary

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat

Love my Ultimate seat & wife loves it even more she never wants to get off. I have the Saddle Ostrich, there is a difference between the Saddle Ostrich & the Wheat Ostrich.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm not 100% sure which one I ended up with...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wolf View Post
    Love my Ultimate seat & wife loves it even more she never wants to get off. I have the Saddle Ostrich, there is a difference between the Saddle Ostrich & the Wheat Ostrich.
    I ordered over the phone and told her that I wanted the one that was in the picture on their website. It looks like the same one in your picture but I didn't realize there were two different ones. Yours looks like the one on their website so I believe I have the same thing as you - and I love the way you have yours setup - I'm jealous!!

Spyder Garage

I ordered over the phone and told her that I wanted the one that was in the picture on their website. It looks like the same one in your picture but I didn't realize there were two different ones. Yours looks like the one on their website so I believe I have the same thing as you - and I love the way you have yours setup - I'm jealous!!
    The have both on there web site, but only one has the Lava insert.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default This is the one I bought a couple of days ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wolf View Post
    The have both on there web site, but only one has the Lava insert.

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/rides/ToddCuter.html

...it's the "Saddle" Ostrich with "Java" Ostrich Inlays and two of the Spyder logos (this description is from their website under the "Custom Options" page).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ya - thats it. I knew it had something "coffee" related but I kept coming up with Espresso instead of Java.... oops.
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

...if not, it was certainly similar and I loved the combo so much I also just ordered the same dash wrap you mentioned as well. I absolutely LOVE the way it looks and can't wait to get mine looking the same way.

Thanks!
    Gary
    It looks good on the pic but it is very "rich" looking in person. My wife gets tons of compliments when she pulls up on it (and I don't even get noticed with the carbon fiber dash on mine).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...but neither are waterproof...
    I threw my butt up onto the Ultimate at SpyderFest out in the heat and sun of the day; there didn't appear to be any issue with the heat.
    Sorry but the highest temperature recorded during Spyderfest this year could hardly be called heat!!
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought a slightly used Brown Limited seat for my Quantum Blue RT-S and it looks great and is lots cooler than the original black seat. It also turned out to be more comfortable for some reason!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Go check my website

I have upholstered many seats with that type of vinyl even my GoldWing it is in the
    motorcycle photos section.
    The vinyl works great it's strong yet soft to sit on and looks great
    Good luck with yours should you want a quote to do yours just call me
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Comfort Seat?

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have upholstered many seats with that type of vinyl even my GoldWing it is in the
    motorcycle photos section.
    The vinyl works great it's strong yet soft to sit on and looks great
    Good luck with yours should you want a quote to do yours just call me
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Hey Dave do you do anything like the Lamonster cut to the Comfort seat? If so $? I seem to be getting pressure on my hip bones or the top joint of the femur on both sides. Anything you can offer in this area?
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights