Thread: Quetion...

Spyder Garage

Default Quetion...

To those that purchased the sheepskin covers at Spyderfest. Now that you've had them for awhile how are they working? Comfort, heat control, sweat control.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought half of a sheep; and it was a black Sheep no less!
    Soft and pretty comfy; but it DOES collect every bit of pollen that floats by in the breezes! A good beating, and it's back to normal!
    It was definitely a worthwhile purchase!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Since we not very far from Misty Mountain we've had the sheepskins on our bikes as long as had the bikes. They are great, summer and winter, help control heat and sweating plus adding to the comfort of the ride
    Spyder Mods: 23"ultra touring windshield, SpyderAttitude Exhaust, BRP fog Lights, Can Am Wind Deflectors, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Pyle Amplifier w/wired remote, 4x6 Pioneer Speakers, Amber GlorRyders, Spyderpops Missing Air Dam, Joe Florida Amber Accent lighting, Misty Mountain Sheepskin Seat cushion, Custom Dynamics 4" Risers, Street Magic Highway Footrest Brackets,Spyder Footrests, Spyder Driver Footpegs, Spyder Brake Cover, Spyder Shifter Cover, Can Am Hard Bags

Spyder Garage

sheep skin.jpgI like the sheep skin I bought at Ikea. Twas quite cool sitting on it today in the 85+ degree weather here in the panhandle of Fl. I used some elastic and snaps to hold it to the seat and when I park it I can put it in the frunk.

AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

I had one custom made at the Victory rally in Spirit Lake Iowa for my Spyder last year. It works very well on this bike. I have used them on other bikes for the past 30 years and would not make any long trips without one. The ones I have had that didn't work as well were short nap. I much prefer the long nap as it is cooler, softer and lasts much longer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Starrider View Post
    Since we not very far from Misty Mountain we've had the sheepskins on our bikes as long as had the bikes. They are great, summer and winter, help control heat and sweating plus adding to the comfort of the ride

Same as above and mine came from "Alaska Leathers" several years ago. Merino sheep skin...short hair, doesn't pack down.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Quetion...

We did buy ours at Spyderfest, and have rode a few hundred miles on it.
    I will say it does seem to keep your underside cooler. My wife loves it. For myself I feel like it's to thick and takes away from my nicely broken in contoured Ultimate Seat. The trick may be to swap it as a change on long rides.
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sheepskin

And what happens to it when it gets wet? Does it smell like a wet "dog" or wet "sheep"?
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by currin20fan View Post
    And what happens to it when it gets wet? Does it smell like a wet "dog" or wet "sheep"?
    ...or a wet sheepdog?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If I get caught in the rain, it is wet fur and needs to be dried out. Being real sheep skin it may have an odor. If I know it is a high chance for rain, or I see it off in the distance I will place it in the frunk.

AC

Spyder Garage

Default Sheep skin

Got ours at Spyderfest 2013. Rode 3200 miles love it would buy again..

Spyder Garage

I am wondering if you folks have sheep skin or shearlings. The shearling is what they line the underside of saddles with.----Budro

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budro View Post
    I am wondering if you folks have sheep skin or shearlings. The shearling is what they line the underside of saddles with.----Budro
    Mine is Sheep Skin from Sweden I believe. I purchased it at Ikea in Orlando, and I saw them at the Ikea in Atlanta. The Ikea stores stock faux and real sheep skins and the price was good also.

AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now you're just getting too technical for me ...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Shearling is clipped sheepskin. Usually in 3/4" length or 1/4" in length. As mentioned above, these are usually used in saddle work or for making vests. The long fuzzy ones are not shearling.

They do insulate from heat or cold, depending on temparature. Try not to get the seats wet on the bike--the water will sit in them and take a long time to dry out. Never, try to accelerate the process by throwing them into a dryer, unless you want to turn the skin into a cement block.

I have used my Alaska Leather ones for about 3 years now. They are losing their springiness so probably time to retire them for new ones shortly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Shearling is clipped sheepskin. Usually in 3/4" length or 1/4" in length. As mentioned above, these are usually used in saddle work or for making vests. The long fuzzy ones are not shearling.

They do insulate from heat or cold, depending on temparature. Try not to get the seats wet on the bike--the water will sit in them and take a long time to dry out. Never, try to accelerate the process by throwing them into a dryer, unless you want to turn the skin into a cement block.

I have used my Alaska Leather ones for about 3 years now. They are losing their springiness so probably time to retire them for new ones shortly.
    My shearling from tandy has 20k miles on it and is still not "crushed". It is dirty, but not crushed cause if ya clean them ya might as well get a new one as that takes the lanolin out of the hairs & they "wilt".-----Budro

Spyder Garage

Small world! I worked for Tandy for 28 years.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budro View Post
    Mine have always been sheep skins. A friend had one that was not a full sheep skin (shearing ??) and it did not work as well.

Spyder Garage

does anyone make one that fits over the backrest? that would be nice to cut down on sweating (my back sweats on long rides).....
    Last edited by lookerjdc; 05-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    does anyone make one that fits over the backrest? that would be nice to cut down on sweating (my back sweats on long rides).....
    The vendor who was at Spyderfest located on Misty Mountain makes one for backrest it was purchased at his store along with a jacket that was custom fitted. Hope this helps.