Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 9 months of limp mode!!!!

Since October last year I've had my 2010 RT in and out of the shop. Out of the shop for no more than two weeks. Either I've got a bad nanny or my spyder enjoys throwing codes and going into limp mode. I picked it up yesterday again, got within two miles of my house when once again limp mode. The code on this indicates it's my power steering, DPS.. But as usual the bike doesn't exhibit steering problems, just like when the codes showed other problems when the problems don't exist. So Tuesday I'm taking it back to the dealership. Wife and I talked some and we think a new 2013 ST maybe the answer for us. Right now I cant trust the machine to go 20 miles without it shutting down.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your problems it sounds as if your dealer needs some words of wisdom if they cant figure out your problem maybe you should look into having a new shop look at it.
    Buying a new bike from them may result in a bad setup at delivery time and would make your new spyder experience less than happy.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Very good point. Find another dealer.
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Have you ever test rode from dealer to any other place than home and had it do the same. Reason I ask is maybe you got some electrical transmission lines close to home that are throwing out crazy energy. Just a thought.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

Wow, can empathize, I've had about 9 months of limp mode but that's due to my lousy right knee.
    2012 Spyder RT

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkandpudge View Post
    Since October last year I've had my 2010 RT in and out of the shop. Out of the shop for no more than two weeks. Either I've got a bad nanny or my spyder enjoys throwing codes and going into limp mode. I picked it up yesterday again, got within two miles of my house when once again limp mode. The code on this indicates it's my power steering, DPS.. But as usual the bike doesn't exhibit steering problems, just like when the codes showed other problems when the problems don't exist. So Tuesday I'm taking it back to the dealership. Wife and I talked some and we think a new 2013 ST maybe the answer for us. Right now I cant trust the machine to go 20 miles without it shutting down.

Low battery or loose battery connections can cause these codes.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Blogs like this really scare me. I've been considering going from a '09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike to a '13 RT-S or Limited because of all the improvements over the '12 model. However, after reading quite a number of posts on this forum like this with computer issues, and the ones about all the hoops people have jumped thru to solve the heat issues, I'm beginning to think twice. My wife would absolutely shoot me if we got into limp mode while on one of our long trips. It doesn't help that the supposedly the highest rated dealer for both sales and service is 2-2.25 hours away from me. 6 years must be too short a time to have all the gremlins worked out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkandpudge View Post
    Wife and I talked some and we think a new 2013 ST maybe the answer for us. Right now I cant trust the machine to go 20 miles without it shutting down.
    I have to give you credit if I had endured 9 months of "Limp Mode" and the dealer couldn't fix it...................not sure I would buy another one? I mean this thing is a 2010 after-all, not like its an "old beater"? Good Luck with whatever you decide.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I've been considering going from a '09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike to a '13 RT-S or Limited because of all the improvements over the '12 model.
    There are definitely improvements on the 2013 but I would suggest nothing that was changed was changed to enhance reliability? So if you were only considering a 2013 because you felt the 2012 and prior had reliability issues, I would stick with the wing? Me personally, I have had a good go of it with a fantastic local dealer who "gets it" when it comes to the Spyder. Tough call, lots of ex-wingers on here ..........also lots of ex-Spyder guys on the wing forums? As above..............good luck!
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Blogs like this really scare me. I've been considering going from a '09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike to a '13 RT-S or Limited because of all the improvements over the '12 model. However, after reading quite a number of posts on this forum like this with computer issues, and the ones about all the hoops people have jumped thru to solve the heat issues, I'm beginning to think twice. My wife would absolutely shoot me if we got into limp mode while on one of our long trips. It doesn't help that the supposedly the highest rated dealer for both sales and service is 2-2.25 hours away from me. 6 years must be too short a time to have all the gremlins worked out.
    please note the OPs problem bike is a '10.. the first year the RT was available.

Edit: in addition a competent dealer and dealer setup will make or break your experience. There's no reason the OPs dealer shouldn't have found and fixed the problem by now.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The new electronics on the 2010 RTs provided BRP with tons of challenges initially. They are as reliable as any other year now. Having continuous problems does tend to point to dealer ineptitude in most cases. Tons of issues have also been self inflicted. When I was initially on this forum, I almost talked myself out of a Spyder. Glad I didn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

The dealer can make the difference.

I brought my RT-S in for steering problems and while the mechanic was hooking it up to BUDS the service manager was on the phone with BRP and got a list of things to check. It was the first on the list...

I ran into similar experiences with my GoldWing, local Honda dealer doesn't have a clue how to change a tire on a GL1800 and too proud to look in the service manual so they damaged my TPMS. Service manager was an idiot and used stick on weights that were "genuine aftermarket wheel weights" which won't work on a GL1800 rim anyway because they are not flat and touted "We use them on everything even Victory". To make a long story short I found a dealer that knew how to change a tire properly and used the correct weights. It cost me $350 to get my TPMS fixed and have both tires remounted properly and balanced.

JT

Spyder Garage

It certainly sounds like a dealer problem. It's this kind of stuff that caused me to "fire" a dealer 20 minutes from my house and start using one 65 miles away.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default limp mode

I also have a 2010 RTS SE5 my problem was throttle body once replaced I have had no more Issues.
    I agree dealed prep and good mechanics make a world of difference.
    Gary

Spyder Garage

I can guarantee the problem is within your dealer. Boy could I tell you a story........

And yes the 2013 is a wonderful product. I have a 2013 RT Limited and a 2013 ST Limited. When I first bought the RT I had a lot of issues. (you can search for my old post if you want however just trust me you really don't want to. It will depress u)

My problem was steering and suspension and of course ball joints. I really wanted to give the dealer I purchased it from the benefit of the doubt. I even carried it to another dealer and they failed miserably. Finally got some help from a trained and well educated tech and it was fixed. And less than a month after I had the RT repaired I bought the ST. It has been perfect. AND my RT has also been flawless.

Someone on here can point you to another dealer. Explain to them what you have been thru and tell them what you expect. I can also say that this forum has some great people. I almost lost my cool and that would have been terrible because I have had so much fun on my Spyders. The members on here gave me hope thru nearly two months of having a new bike I couldn't ride.

Spyder Garage

The biggest problem that you are going to have is that the two closest dealers to you are owned and operated by the same people and the one in Pine Bluff is not any better. I traded out of state with Pitbull Powersports and so far i am very happy with their service, yes it is 225 mile away but i can ride there and back without breaking down, if you decide to trade, give Pitbull Powersports an opportunity to swap with you. Holler at me and i will bring my 2013 up for you to test drive, i am here in Bryant.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default limp mode

i have a rs not a rt but i was getting similar ghost issues wouldn't happen for the dealer but after some 20 miles bam limp mode come to find out it was an aftermarket light i installed messing with the computer

if you have any electronic brake flasher or aux lights check that first

good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    The new electronics on the 2010 RTs provided BRP with tons of challenges initially. They are as reliable as any other year now. Having continuous problems does tend to point to dealer ineptitude in most cases. Tons of issues have also been self inflicted. When I was initially on this forum, I almost talked myself out of a Spyder. Glad I didn't.

All, to the point, and well said.

Heat can be a problem but mostly above 100 degrees ambient. Unfortunately it's still a problem. Very unfortunate, indeed.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default I wish..!!

That the best way to report the qualities of these machines was by bitching and moaning... This site would be full up with the good side. Goldwings have been around for some 37 years so they have had time to sort things out..you think..?? I worked on them for 27 of those years and they were no better than the roadsters. The key...good dealers with good can am mechanics. Multi-brand dealers to many time stress on the big sellers. Good luck on your future adventures hope to see you three wheeling still..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had 2 wings prior to my 2012. I researched before buying an RT and had the same feelings you do but took the "risk". I had to resolve the heat issue and this forum was a great help and I knew that going into it. My first visit to a dealer was Pitbull during the Fest a year and 10K after purchase (all they did was update my software). The vast majority of owners have trouble free experiences and don't get online much to state that BUT if you throw a code or have a dealer issue, you can read about it on 3 forums. Bottom line don't let reliability scare you off, Can Ams are dependable and have excellent warranties honored throughout the country.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

It does sound like the OP has problems with the dealer not being able to fix an issue on the 2010. I also recommend a change of dealers.

Let us know how this all works out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default : 9 months of limp mode!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It does sound like the OP has problems with the dealer not being able to fix an issue on the 2010. I also recommend a change of dealers.

Let us know how this all works out.

Thanks for all the replies. I am considering PitBull if I go the trade-in route. My bike never had a problem till I had the bike set up to use the 622 trailer. The local dealer did indicate that the problem initially was their fault. But the bike has never worked correctly since. The latest problem code is the DPS, power steering. But as usual the steering is working fine. So tomorrow AM in it goes again.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like the trailer harness is a good place to start the troubleshooting.

Spyder Garage

If your dealer can't fix it this time let Pitbull have a go at it. I would imagine if it was running perfectly, you wouldn't be considering a 2013.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    If your dealer can't fix it this time let Pitbull have a go at it. I would imagine if it was running perfectly, you wouldn't be considering a 2013.

If the bike was performing correctly I would not be considering a trade-in. Took the Spyder back to the dealer this AM. It went into limp mode three times on the 28 mile trip. All I would do is pull over to the side of the road, turn off the Spyder and wait 30 seconds. Turn it back on and away I went. About a 1/2 mile from the dealership I was sitting still waiting for the light to change. Just sitting there it went into limp mode. I drove the 1/2 mile to the dealership and left the bike running at the front door showing faults of :no power steering, no ABS, No oil, check engine, etc! I'm assuming they are on the phone with BRP since they haven't a clue.