Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Question

If you needed a heart transplant would you go to a particular doctor if you sensed he/she wasn't up to the task. If you have no confidence in the dealer and their service department. Go elsewhere. Really.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 9 months of limp mode!!!!

If all of these issues started after installing the trailer harness, it would make sense to look there. There's tons more to the harness than trailer lights. The trailer actually works right along with the bike and interacts with all of the listed systems. If you go into a slide with the trailer attached, the ABS and traction control, etc work to get you going straight on the trailer too.

Either they didn't make the connection properly, or moisture is getting in and driving the system crazy. That's where I would start looking anyway. Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    If you needed a heart transplant would you go to a particular doctor if you sensed he/she wasn't up to the task. If you have no confidence in the dealer and their service department. Go elsewhere. Really.

Got my Spyder back yesterday afternoon. What they found after talking to BRP was a loose ground located in the very front of the bike. They had to remove the entire front of the bike to get into it. They found that this ground was very loose, four complete turns to tighten it. They kept the bike for an additional three days test riding it on expressways and on two lane roads. It never threw another code. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and rode it back to the house without problems.. Wife and I went for a 50 mile ride last night and today I put 100+ on it. The Spyder ran great. I hope this was the answer.Anyway my Spyder is home and warm and dry in the garage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkandpudge View Post
    Got my Spyder back yesterday afternoon. What they found after talking to BRP was a loose ground located in the very front of the bike. They had to remove the entire front of the bike to get into it. They found that this ground was very loose, four complete turns to tighten it. They kept the bike for an additional three days test riding it on expressways and on two lane roads. It never threw another code. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and rode it back to the house without problems.. Wife and I went for a 50 mile ride last night and today I put 100+ on it. The Spyder ran great. I hope this was the answer.Anyway my Spyder is home and warm and dry in the garage.
    Glad to hear you finally made some progress.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    Why would you buy another Spyder given your history with this one? Haven't heard one complaint from my friends who are on Honda Trikes. I can't understand why you'd set yourself up for more trouble with a Spyder?

Well the question is mute, since the Spyder is fixed. But why would I consider another spyder vs any other trike. I like the look and feel of the Spyder. I have plenty of friends who have trike conversions on Honda and other bikes. They are not without their problems either including one trike whose rear wheels came off at 50 mph. These are toys for us to enjoy. Real problems, try owning a class A motor home. Been rving for 30 years...house never meant to move on a vehicle ever meant to carry a house.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A loose ground...
    Glad to hear that once it was found; things are looking better for you guys!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Great news

Dr., Dr,.....Mr. Md......ya got me fixed and now I'm free

Have a great summer.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Limp mode

Thanks for all the replies. I am considering PitBull if I go the trade-in route. My bike never had a problem till I had the bike set up to use the 622 trailer. The local dealer did indicate that the problem initially was their fault. But the bike has never worked correctly since. The latest problem code is the DPS, power steering. But as usual the steering is working fine. So tomorrow AM in it goes again.
    This sounds like what happened to me not long ago.........hooked up the electrical for the 622 trailer and my 2010 rt-s went crazy, throwing all kinds of codes. Long story short.....The trailer electrical line had a short in it and blew the brake light fuse. Put a new fuse in it and no more problem. Amazing how something so simple can cause so much havoc!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Real problems, try owning a class A motor home. Been rving for 30 years...house never meant to move on a vehicle ever meant to carry a house.
    Ya - no kidding on this here comment ! Motor homes are DOUBLE the fun. You get to maintain both vehicle systems AND house systems. Large boats are the same too with maintaining marine engine systems and propulsion systems - and the same house systems as the motorhome.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad it's fixed. I had a similar problem on a Buick I had. Bad ground at the transmission, multiple faults, TC light, and gauges would quit working. Computers are no more than digital counters, they have to have 0 on ground, so that the high is clean. Voltage on ground, or no ground as a reference point is bad, and makes them flake out. I'm very lucky, my 2012 has had zero problems, even to the point of riding home today in a gulley washer.. She just kept on ticking. I rode almost 600 miles last week....

Spyder Garage

Why would you buy another Spyder given your history with this one? Haven't heard one complaint from my friends who are on Honda Trikes. I can't understand why you'd set yourself up for more trouble with a Spyder?
    You have a few friends with Honda Trikes and comparing that to the thousands of posters here on Spyderlovers? Not a fair comparison. Go to one of the Honda trike web forums and see what you find there.

I am not saying that issues are not something to be concerned about. But consider the nature of a forum like this. It is primarily a support structure. You don't need support if your Spyder is running well. Many post here only when they are experiencing problems and these posts usually have long legs as the issue gets worked out. All of this tends to magnify problems making them appear more prominent than they actually are.

As for the problem and the fix, I agree with those that said the dealer should have been able to correct this much more quickly than they did. The problem was minor. It was the dealerships inexperience that made it a major issue. The fix is not a surprising one and would have been picked up quickly. An unfortunate black eye on the Spyder.

Congratulations and I hope you have many miles of trouble free enjoyment!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-31-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Cause Spyders are more fun than Honda Trikes

But you allready knew that didn't you
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer