Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Another exhaust question

I just got my Spyder last month and it came with the Hindle exhaust. I really like the way it sounds but I see a lot of back fire and sputtering when the temperatures go up. I have talked to my local BRP dealer and there seems to be 2 schools of theories on this issue. Some say that I need a programmer and maps to properly configure the exhaust to the computer. Some say it is just the ethanol in the gas and if i use a fuel additive it will clean up the problem. I tried the dative and although it has helped it still has not resolved the issue. So am I really stuck with the programmer and maps?, and if so I hear once you start down that road it is like Pandora's box you never stop changing maps.

Any advise would be appreciated

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yury00 View Post
    I just got my Spyder last month and it came with the Hindle exhaust. I really like the way it sounds but I see a lot of back fire and sputtering when the temperatures go up. I have talked to my local BRP dealer and there seems to be 2 schools of theories on this issue. Some say that I need a programmer and maps to properly configure the exhaust to the computer. Some say it is just the ethanol in the gas and if i use a fuel additive it will clean up the problem. I tried the dative and although it has helped it still has not resolved the issue. So am I really stuck with the programmer and maps?, and if so I hear once you start down that road it is like Pandora's box you never stop changing maps.

Any advise would be appreciated
    That's actually quite normal for this to happen with that exhaust, a programmer isn't needed until you modify the bike's air intake and add an after market exhaust, depends on the year and model too, my 2009 GS had straight pipes, ram air intake and aftermarket Green air filter and didn't need a programmer and that was Dyno proven, however the later models do need the programmer when adding an exhaust and air intake, it tends to lean them out too much

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes that's exactly what I have. Its a 2009 GS but no modified air intake. Would that help the situation?

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

the se models have more problems than the sm not having clutch control. I have an 2012 RS sm5 with the hindle, JT air system with K&N filter iridium plugs and high tension wires and no controler..does have some popping now and then but by flicking the clutch and rapping some revs cleans out the pipe. The competion type pipes have the need...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes that's exactly what I have. Its a 2009 GS but no modified air intake. Would that help the situation?
    Yes, add a Green Air filter and get a little more air, I also added the Mel's Monster Garage air intake to my 2009 GS and it ran great, I switched out my Hindle exhaust for the Voodoo Shorty later but never needed a programmer (Mine was an SE5 and never had a single problem)

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It is the SM5. Thank you I will give that a try. It only gets bad in the hotter temps but I still want to try and fix the issue. Why did you go to the Voodoo Vs the Hindle?

It does clear the issue for a bit if a give it a quick rev but comes back later. It has actually stalled on me on acceleration from a dead stop before.

Spyder Garage

It is the SM5. Thank you I will give that a try. It only gets bad in the hotter temps but I still want to try and fix the issue. Why did you go to the Voodoo Vs the Hindle?

It does clear the issue for a bit if a give it a quick rev but comes back later. It has actually stalled on me on acceleration from a dead stop before.
    My Hindle exhaust fell apart where the pipe attached to the mid-pipe, the rivots blew out and the carbon fiber just fell apart, I switched to the Voodoo Shorty because I didn't want another can style muffler on my bike, they are extremely loud though, there is no exhaust on the market today that even comes close to the Voodoo

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did you get a performance or hp increase from the Voodoo or just more sound?