RT-S PE#0032
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Electrical gone wacky

Had not riden in a few days.... got the RT out, rode to the front yard where I gave her bath (while listening to some tunes).....when I got ready to ride off in the sunset she will not crank. I'm thinking I just drained the battery, but it's been on the tender for a few hours now and still nothing. Well not exactly...that's the wacky part. When I insert the key and turn, all the gages and dash lights start flashing and a jumpin'. Once I it the start....everything goes dark.

Please someone tell me all will be alright by morning (leaving it on the tender).

Spyder Garage

it will be all right in the morning if you leave it on the tender and get everything dry (I Hope) go buy a battery operated radio or a long extension cord so you can listen to tunes on something other than your spyder while washing it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bet it will be OK in the morning. I found it doesn't take much to drain the battery enough for it to go into seizures.

RT-S PE#0032
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I bet it will be OK in the morning. I found it doesn't take much to drain the battery enough for it to go into seizures.
    so the "seizure" activity of the gauges & lights is somewhat normal for a drained battery? OK, this makes me feel a little better, we'll see where things are tomorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gunns View Post
    so the "seizure" activity of the gauges & lights is somewhat normal for a drained battery? OK, this makes me feel a little better, we'll see where things are tomorrow.
    Similar thing happened to me when I was trying to find line out connections from the radio to hook into the Chatterbox. I thought I shorted something, and fried it. The idiot lights were flashing, Gauges were all over the place. Now I always have the battery tender on it, and keep it on when working on or testing the electrical mods.

The wire sometimes gets in the way, but that feeling I had when I thought it was toasted.... my gut was twisted, and we were scheduled to leave for the Alzheimers ride the next day.. I was sick.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gunns View Post
    when my battery on my old RS dumped on me the screen went into seizure mode.

Might not be related, but make sure your kill switch is on. Last time I gave 52 a bath I turned off the kill switch without knowing it. Dang near freaked out when it would not start.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Might not be related, but make sure your kill switch is on. Last time I gave 52 a bath I turned off the kill switch without knowing it. Dang near freaked out when it would not start.
    I always shut mine down with the kill switch. It's the first thing I turn off, and last thing I turn on before starting.

Spyder Garage

I always shut mine down with the kill switch. It's the first thing I turn off, and last thing I turn on before starting.
    I have never used the kill switch on any of my motorcycles in the past. Isn't that what a key is for?

Spyder Garage

Default RT Electrical gone wacky

When I took the MSF safety class they taught us to use the kill switch to turn off the motorcycle. That's what I still do.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I have never used the kill switch on any of my motorcycles in the past. Isn't that what a key is for?
    It is good practice to learn to use the kill switch instinctively. If an emergency arises, you can turn off the vehicle qickly, without removing your hands from the handlebars. It is taught in motorcycle safety classes, required to be able to do quickly blindfolded to obtain a competition driver's license, and stressed in virtually every motorcycle owners manual. Do what you wish, but please don't encourage bad habits for others.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is good practice to learn to use the kill switch instinctively. If an emergency arises, you can turn off the vehicle qickly, without removing your hands from the handlebars. It is taught in motorcycle safety classes, required to be able to do quickly blindfolded to obtain a competition driver's license, and stressed in virtually every motorcycle owners manual. Do what you wish, but please don't encourage bad habits for others.
    Well I guess I will start a new way to turn off my bike then. Makes sense, but I do not know that turning off the motor would be the first thing I think of doing in an emergency. I am sure there is a reason for this, and I hope to never have to find out way.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Well I guess I will start a new way to turn off my bike then. Makes sense, but I do not know that turning off the motor would be the first thing I think of doing in an emergency. I am sure there is a reason for this, and I hope to never have to find out way.
    Lots of good reasons.....none of them good scenarios. Less important as in the old days, but there are still plenty of valid reasons to have to do it in an emergency...like a clutch disengagement failure, steering failure, runaway throttle, or electrical fire. Glad you are willing to learn to do it right.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Lots of good reasons.....none of them good scenarios. Less important as in the old days, but there are still plenty of valid reasons to have to do it in an emergency...like a clutch disengagement failure, steering failure, runaway throttle, or electrical fire. Glad you are willing to learn to do it right.

Of course I might not want to use the kill switch for a runaway throttle.

Me: I could not help driving so fast, as my throttle was stuck.
    Officer/Judge: Why did you not use the kill switch?
    Me: Whats that?

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I got it from the DVD you get with the Spyder. (Yes, I watched the DVD...). Anyhow, it just became a habit.Also, with the key on, and the kill switch on, I hear a whine that sounds a lot like a fuel pump running. In my car, it runs for a few seconds, then shuts down, but on the Spyder, it doesn't seem to shut off after time. I haven't left it on too long to find out if it would or not, I assumed that with motorcycles, it just constantly ran... I didn't like that, as I usually turn the key on, let it boot, then hit the mode switch whil I'm putting on my helmet, and gloves. Then when we're on the bike, I hit the kill switch, and starter... Just a habit I started, as this is my first motorcycle...or whatever it is, in 30 some odd years.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I teach the MSF class and we always teach students to shut down their engines using the engine cut off switch (we don't use the word "kill"--kind of a scary word to use when teaching new students how to ride!!! )LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I'm waiting to hear some good news...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Me too!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Of course I might not want to use the kill switch for a runaway throttle.

Me: I could not help driving so fast, as my throttle was stuck.
    Officer/Judge: Why did you not use the kill switch?
    Me: Whats that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So I'm waiting to hear some good news...
    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Me too!
    The officer let me slide on the ticket.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold