Thread: Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

Default Shortee Antenna

Just want to give my fellow Spyder Riders a "heads-up." Last summer I purchased two shortee antennas from a distributor that is promoted on this website. This spring I find that the antennas are rusting, not pitting, but RUSTING very badly. I contacted the distributor who in turn contacted the manufacturer. The manufacturer advised the distributer that the antennas are not covered under a warranty. The distributor has offered to sell me a new set at a discounted price. After several e-mails back and forth with the distributer I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer. There has been no response. The manufacturer stated to the distributor that I must be living near the ocean or that I used a harsh chemical on the antennas. I do reside near the Florida gulf coast during the winter months and in Ohio on the muddy Maumee River in the summer months. I do not use harsh chemicals to wash my beloved Spyder. I submit that these antennas were not properly coated and therefore they are rusting. The manufacturer refuses to stand behind their product. I will be looking for another brand of antenna! I would urge others to do the same.
    Last edited by copper; 05-16-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a little bit more info ...
    What brand are the antennas?
    Who is the distributor?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Same rusting issue for me and I live in Michigan. I never drive it in the winter once they start salting the roads. ESI is where I purchased mine from.
    Last edited by Rando; 05-16-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This may simply have to become a caveat for all who replace their antennas; wipe them down with something, so that they stay "rustlesss"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Shortee Antenna

Or if you like the size and they way they work then get some black heat shrink and cover it. Shrink it down and then get a black vacuum cap to go over the end. Just use the heat shrink that has no words on it. Or... you can use the kind with words.... your choice.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This may simply have to become a caveat for all who replace their antennas; wipe them down with something, so that they stay "rustlesss"

Bob be careful or the Missus might use heat shrink on you to keep you from rusting.

You wont like the heat or the shrink

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Shortee Antenna

ESI is the distributor.... to be fair, Jody tried to get the manufacturer to make good. The manufacturer has so far refused. I have been advised that Custom Dynamics is the manufacturer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

My understanding is that you can buy a short car antenna at Wal-Mart (only in black, sorry chromies) and can adapt it to the . I may go that direction if my 2nd shortee antenna (first one broke off my 1st but that was because I had an ornament attached to it and it snapped somewhere in I-55) rusts or breaks.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As an alternative to heat shrink. Remember the plasti-dip thread? Spray it on or dip it, you'll have a rubberized coating.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

RE: the WalMart shortee antenna. They cost about $10.00. I looked up the ESI shortee and they are quite different from the WM version. Cost shown is $19.95. I can see where they might be subject to some corrision due to the fact that they appear to be all metal.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-16-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Shortee Antenna

This is beyond corrosion... ESI will still get my business.... Custom Dynamics... forget it!I think you can figure out my response to them....

Spyder Garage

I had a Shortee antenna but it fell off before it could rust. I picked up a short, all metal antenna at Advance Auto for 11.99 (I never liked the rubber type from WM). It came with the proper adapter and has been on the bike for over a year. I live near the ocean and a river in very humid south Georgia. No rust issues ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

When I replaced the stock radio antenna, I went to Wally World and purchased the
    Scosche RMA900
    Replacement
    Car
    Antenna
    which was mentioned in other threads. One of the adapters fit the stock base and I used a drill to enlarge the antenna boot to fit the replacement antenna's larger diameter.

Copper, I'm not to far from you, located downriver in Waterville, OH, perhaps we will meet some day.
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Spyder Garage

I got mine from stubby antenna. There adapter works on the Spyder and you only have to make the rubber boot hole a little bigger. I got the one that is 4" to 11".
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Default Shortee Antennaa

Quote Originally Posted by cdavid View Post
    When I replaced the stock radio antenna, I went to Wally World and purchased the
    Scosche RMA900
    Replacement
    Car
    Antenna
    which was mentioned in other threads. One of the adapters fit the stock base and I used a drill to enlarge the antenna boot to fit the replacement antenna's larger diameter.

Copper, I'm not to far from you, located downriver in Waterville, OH, perhaps we will meet some day.
    Sounds good... I host Mary Jane Thurston State Park Campground in the summer and run the Weenie Dawgs concession in the day use on weekends. Come over any Saturday and enjoy the best dawg on the block...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Shortee Antenna

Well..... I bought new antennas today to replace my rusty ones. I am very disappointed that CUSTOM DYNAMICS will not stand behind a product they apparently manufacture. I will certainly keep this in mind when talking to other Spyder Ryders and when I need more parts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    Well..... I bought new antennas today to replace my rusty ones. I am very disappointed that CUSTOM DYNAMICS will not stand behind a product they apparently manufacture. I will certainly keep this in mind when talking to other Spyder Ryders and when I need more parts.

Has anyone tried a hidden antenna (Dakota Digital, Tune Trapper etc.)

Spyder Garage

Default Antenna

UPDATE - - - Never heard a word from CUSTOM DYNAMICS.... They can keep their junk! I was on a trip to the Michigan UP and I crossed the bridge into Canada. The Canadian Tire store was a half mile from the border. They had some nice 30"replacement antennas with the correct thread. $15 each. Took two minutes to change them and they work perfectly! CUSTOM DYNAMICS.... pyour product has been placed where it belongs... in the garbage!

Spyder Garage

Question; as a soon to retire fellow police sergeant from Ohio, is there room for a beer wagon next to your weenie wagon? I think I just found my retirement occupation! I am jealous! Seriously jealous.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    UPDATE - - - Never heard a word from CUSTOM DYNAMICS.... They can keep their junk! I was on a trip to the Michigan UP and I crossed the bridge into Canada. The Canadian Tire store was a half mile from the border. They had some nice 30"replacement antennas with the correct thread. $15 each. Took two minutes to change them and they work perfectly! CUSTOM DYNAMICS.... pyour product has been placed where it belongs... in the garbage!
    I agree. They have very poor quality parts as far as I'm concerned. Flexible LED strips that break and therefore don't work once you bend them where you want and stick them. I've had better luck with SOME Chinese junk.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!