Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default car wash for spyder?

Lamont mentioned using a car wash to get the bugs and dirt off bike after a long ride. I have never taken my RT or any of my 2 wheeled machines into a car wash before (did it all by hand). How has that worked for others? I don't like a dirty bike either. Mine is all washed and clean before leaving for a trip but a mess when I get there! So those that use them, are you using the drive through types, the ones that have all the cars lined up and people wiping them down after? Or the ones where you use their equipment? If you have a corbin or ultimate seat, how are you protecting that before the water is used? Do tell all!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Haven't used one for the Spyder; I'm concerned about damaging my graphics...
    Better safe, than sorry!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have taken my Spyder to the car wash a few times. I only use the wash where you use a power sprayer and spary the bike itself. I have alwasy taken a trash bag to cover the seat so it doesn't get wet...but I also try!to control where Im spraying. Worked very well wiht no problems.
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Spyder Garage

I have taken my Spyder to the car wash a number of times, especially with the prevalence of pollen around here this time of year. I've never concerned myself with covering anything before spraying it down, though I will not use any sort of pressure while working around any intakes, or the instrument panel (Misting with the sprayer vs. powerwashing). I've never had an issue using the rinse setting for 'powerwashing', though I am rather careful about keeping a bit of distance between the spray nozzle and the spyder. If you have a microfiber drying towel, simply use that on your seat (If you have factory standard, like me) and right around the console: The rest will dry off on the ride home.
    A real biker doesn't care about your opinion on his lifestyle, or his choice of steed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Put on your rain suit, close your helmet visor... and ride on through!

I use the self serve wand type washes. You ride in the rain don't you? A little water won't hurt it. Just don't use the high pressure spray near the instrument pods, intakes, leather seats, or near the battery.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat cover on the cheap side

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    Lamont mentioned using a car wash to get the bugs and dirt off bike after a long ride. I have never taken my RT or any of my 2 wheeled machines into a car wash before (did it all by hand). How has that worked for others? I don't like a dirty bike either. Mine is all washed and clean before leaving for a trip but a mess when I get there! So those that use them, are you using the drive through types, the ones that have all the cars lined up and people wiping them down after? Or the ones where you use their equipment? If you have a corbin or ultimate seat, how are you protecting that before the water is used? Do tell all!
    A cheap wet proof cover an be had from your local grocery or hardware store. Buy those black yard trash bags in a 40 gallon size. Pop the seat Jo and slide the bag over it. We were looking for rain covers and balked at $100+ for a cover that might get used once a year
    or six months. My wife's brainstorm!

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=asp125;622004]Put on your rain suit, close your helmet visor... and ride on through!

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

I only use the power setting in carwashes to go under the frame and inside the tires. The rest of the I use car wash soap, water, sponge and rinse off the suds.

When I clean after a ride and it is full of bugs or just road dust, I use Dry N Wash Guard (PM me for more info).
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Some 's seem to be more sensitive to car washes than others. My 's don't even like to be washed and seem to run a little funny until they get warmed up. I am careful to keep water of all the magic switches and try to be extra careful in the dash area. I am afraid to us a pressure washer of any kind--just gentle spray from my garden hose.

Yes, I ride it in the rain, and have not had any problems with that. ???

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yea I'm thinking the self wash carwash....that or hooters.
    "can you hear me now?"

Spyder Garage

we go the carwash and pump the quarters in every week. never had a problem with the custom graphics or the ultimate seat. just dry the seat off after and all the tupperware and you'll be just fine. so will the spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by serf View Post
    I'm thinking the self wash carwash....that, or Hooters.
    My mind is just running rampant with the possibilities...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by serf View Post
    Yea I'm thinking the self wash carwash....that or hooters.
    That could get expensive, I mean.. washing the Spyder every other day.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    That could get expensive, I mean.. washing the Spyder every other day.
    True... but the good times are worth it!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    Lamont mentioned using a car wash to get the bugs and dirt off bike after a long ride. I have never taken my RT or any of my 2 wheeled machines into a car wash before (did it all by hand). How has that worked for others? I don't like a dirty bike either. Mine is all washed and clean before leaving for a trip but a mess when I get there! So those that use them, are you using the drive through types, the ones that have all the cars lined up and people wiping them down after?Or the ones where you use their equipment? If you have a corbin or ultimate seat, how are you protecting that before the water is used? Do tell all!
    I see some have beat me to the punch. Man you're setting yourself up on that one. I have all kinds of visions on that option.

PS: I take my own brush (actually I use a boat brush with soft fibers for scrubing) to assist the power sprays and soaps. I don't use what is provided by the car wash because I'm not certain just what is in those brush heads.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Car wash

A warm pail of clear water and a small microfiber towel is all I have ever used to clean my 2008 GS and 2013 ST-S.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use my pressure washer all the time on the Spyders...Low bead/mist of course but it works terrific and doesn't bother the wraps or decals.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the drive thrus that have the pretty colored soaps and I pay extra for the freshener so I can kill two birds with one stone the Spyder and I both get a bath.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I like the drive thrus that have the pretty colored soaps and I pay extra for the freshener so I can kill two birds with one stone the Spyder and I both get a bath.
    As one of our beloved band leaders used to say:

"Turn off the bubble machine".

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was so excited to go through the car wash but hated the brushes and air dryers
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That's because you live in Vegas---you're probably dry by the time you exit the carwash
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I use the self-service when it's extra dirty. The best part is the spot free rinse.
    ----
    USAF Retired (1986 - 2006)
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain
    Riding with Dignity, Honor and Respect