Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderfest 2013 recap

I don't think I can ever remember an event that has taken me so long to recover from. I'm not sure if it was all the anticipation leading up to the event or the event itself but I'm just now starting to feel like I'm getting caught up with the rest of life that was on hold for so long. I've been going to Spyder events since 2008 and they just keep getting bigger and better. The turnout for this event was huge with well over 1200 registered attendees. Folks from all over the country made their way to Springfield MO for a week long event hosted by a brand new dealership. As a matter of fact the event started on Pit Bull Powersports seventh week of being in business. To pull this off they needed the support of the MOgang and many others including the town of Springfield. I would say they exceeded everyone expectations and if it wasn't for the crazy cold and wet weather we had it would have been just about an perfect event.

Everyone that made it to Spyderfest has their own take on what they liked and didn't like and what the highlights were for them. This is my take on Spyderfest and you're welcome to add yours.

I rode my new 2013 ST-S with trailer from my home in East TN on Sunday to Springfield MO for the event, just shy of 700 miles. The days prior I drove to Erie PA to have some custom graphics done for Spyderfest, right at 1200 miles. The week before that I had some paint work done before doing the graphics so you can see why I was a little burned out. So from the time I got the ST to the time I headed to Spyderfest I had just under 2000 miles in two weeks. That's not much if you're just riding but I was doing a bunch of work to the ST too.

Ready for Spyderfest with new paint, graphics and new Corbin/Lamonster seat.

A guy on SpyderLovers that goes by NCSpyderRT (Dan) asked if he could ride with Ron and I to Spyderfest and we always welcome riders that want to ride with us. Sometimes they never want to ride again with us but most of the time they enjoy the pace we set. We don't eat much along the way and we don't stop long for fuel. We pretty much just get fuel and go. I could see that Dan was not use to this pace and was pretty much just going with the program. He told us as much when we got there.

We made good time getting to Springfield but it was Sunday and by time we got there everyone had left.

As I always do on a trip like this I headed right for the carwash to clean the bugs and grime off my bike. I can't stand a dirty bike very long. That night we checked in to the host hotel and then met up with Spyderpops and his crew for dinner at Lamberts.

It was a nice day all and all. The weather was good and after 700 miles on the ST with the new seat my butt still felt good and I was ready to ride some more. You know it's a good day when you put those kind of miles on and you still feel good.

Monday we made our way over to Pit Bull and they had the registration booth setup and folks were already getting their ride bags. The event didn't officially start till Wed. but there were plenty of early birds there. Little did I know this was the calm before the storm. It really got crazy soon after this.

The next big event was the River Walk and man was that a sight to see. Spyders everywhere and the line for food was about a 1/2 mile long. I know this because my mailbox is a 1/2 a mile from the house at it was pretty close to that. Even thought the line was crazy nobody seemed to care. They were all talking and having a good time with each other.

I'm not sure how many folks they fed but my guess was well over 1000. There was plenty of food and drinks for everyone and once again you got to see what planning went in to all of this and the hard work all the volunteers were doing. They worked their butts off but never complained and always had a smile on their face.

That night they had a huge bonfire with fireworks. This is also when the Pit Bull crew presented Seth with his new Spyder. Len and the Pit Bull crew did all the work on the bike and got a bunch of vendors to donate product Seth was going to need for his new ride. As it happened I was shipped two Corbin seats before I came to Spyderfest by accident so I brought the spare with me to see if Len could sell it for Corbin. This was the first Lamonster seat produced by Corbin besides mine and because it had a fuel door built in it was just what Seth needed. Len asked me if I thought Corbin would donate that seat and I really wasn't sure but I made a call to Mike Corbin and told him the situation and who it was for and he said I think that would be a good thing to do. That was pretty cool and now I know I didn't get that extra seat by accident. Thanks for support Mike.

When Len rolled the Spyder out of the trailer and gave it to Seth pretty much everyone there had a tear in their eye. It was great to see the SpyderLovers family come together to help another member. This is just one of the great things that has come out of this club. You can see the joy in Seth's face. He really needed a new Spyder too after riding his for over 80,000 miles in all sorts of bad weather. This guy is one hardcore rider for sure. This was a great way to end a great day.

The next big event was the Spyder Drag Racing. When Len told me he wanted to do this I said I doubt there will be many folks who would want to race a Spyder and even less folks who would want to watch. Boy was I ever wrong about that. This event was a big hit with the attendees and I got to tell you I had a blast myself. I'm use to running bikes that are running low 12's and mid 11's and the Spyder was running 14's but it was still a blast to run down the track. I had more fun burning off my tire at the start but that's just me. we had all classes including a trailer class racing and there were plenty of gals on the track too. This turned out to be one of my highlighted memories.

This has already turned into a book so I'm going to cut it off short and you can add your thought about the event if you like but I'm going to tell you the best part of the event for me, it was the people I got to know during the event. The weather got ugly toward the end and it forced many of us to stay in our hotels or hangout at the Vendor Village or Pit Bulls but that turned out to be a real blessing for me. I got to really know some folks here in a much deeper way than ever before. I laughed with many and even cried with a few. I hope the folks I got to spend time with at Spyderfest got as much out of it as I did. The relationships I made with other SpyderLovers will last a lifetime. You are a very special group of people and I'm thankful to be a small part of your life.

Click Here to see all the pics I've collected on Facebook of Spyderfest 2013

The faces say it all.

And from the man that put this all together with a little help from his friends. Thanks for everything Len

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dang ... You're making want to point the RT West again already!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It was a fast pace but I would do it again anytime. Ill just bring food with me.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!

What a great thread. Thanks Lamonster.
    Let's Ryde!

Spyder Garage

Every year SpyderFest gets bigger and better. This one was the best yet!

Glad there were a few good days of weather, and happy the drag races was was one of them.

And on the drizzly days, met up with old friends and made new ones. Nothing like a hotel lobby to get to meet people just hanging out.

Spyder get-togethers are all about the people, and this was a good one!
    Len, you and MOgang have a good thing going here. Thank you very much!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks, Lamont.

We weren't there but we can live it vicariously through this thread.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    And on the drizzly days, met up with old friends and made new ones. Nothing like a hotel lobby to get to meet people just hanging out.

Spyder get-togethers are all about the people, and this was a good one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing with those of us not lucky enough to go!
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up and the great pictures.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont. Love the pics

Spyder Garage

Meeting new people and getting together again with old friends is always the best part of Spyderfest. It goes without saying that Len, MoGang and the crew are beyond awesome. I didn't know how they pulled off the 1st Spyderfest and that was a cakewalk compared to the monster event it has grown into.

I have to say that NCSpyderRT is a true gamer. We've had others ask to ride with Lamont and I and some don't last to the 1st fuel stop, some stick it out for awhile and then throw in the towel, and some go the distance in style.

I remember 2 Wing Trikes that we met in New York state (I think) coming back from Canada. They were talking about how much more comfortable the Wings must be compared to the Spyder and wondered how far/fast we could run before we had to give up. They were sure we couldn't stay with them on their Wings. They weren't talking smack, they were just looking at things from their perspective. When we got ready to leave they asked if they could run with us for a few fuel stops. Lamont said, 'Sure!' They dropped out at about 120 miles and we never saw them again. We weren't riding any different than we always do. But I've always wondered if they thought we were trying to bury them on purpose.

Anyway, I could tell that Dan was wondering what he'd gotten himself into after 3 or 4 fuel stops and I wondered if he was going to hang. But he did and I was impressed. Tough way to start his Spyder experience but Dan is a keeper for sure!

The Drag Races were a BLAST! It was worth the trip just to see Yazz with her game face on! She can be one serious girl when she wants to be!

Always wanted to run on a real drag strip, never done it before and I had a great time.

Overall, even the weather couldn't take the fun out of Spyderfest. Len and the gang continued to think on their feet and out gamed the weather. Moving the Secret Pie Run to the hotel was a great move (among many others).

What do I think? I think we should do it again!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

This was my fourth Spyderfest, and like what was already said, they just keep getting better. Already looking forward to 2014. Again, THANKS to Len, Vanessa, and the MoGang, and all the others the were involved in this great event.
    We had a great time at the drags (wish now, I'd ran mine) and meeting old and new friends at the motels, Pitbull Powersports, and the Vendor Village. Thanks again !!!

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

I fixed one typo. I don't care how many time I read one of these before posting I always find a typo the next day, guess my mind sees what it wants to see.

Spyder Garage

Excellent write up Lamont!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

THANKS FOR THE GREAT PICTURES LAMONT !!!

Spyder Garage

Great write up and excellent pictures. I had a great time there this year and definitely do not want to miss another one if at all possible. MoGang did an amazing job of putting together a first class event.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I can't wait for next year!

(Note: Hopefully one of these events: Spyderfest or KofC's TN State Convention, will end up moving at some point... in the meantime, I will do what I did this year... stay as long as I can in Spyderfest and then head back to TN until a) As I said one of the event's date changes or b) I have done my years as an KofC officer and step down as a State Delegate. I am planning to go to ALL Spyderfests possible!).
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

As a newby to Spyders and Spyderfest, i wanted to let you know that we had a fabulous time at Spyderfest and could not believe all the cool people that we met. If i tried to name them all, i know i would forget someone so i will just say thank you to all the folks that were there and tell you we enjoyed your company.

Len, Vanessa, Lamont, Harvey and the MoGang we appreciate all the help, advice, service and friendship we received from all of you.

Lets do it again. Attached is a photo of the SAFETY meetings at the hotel

Hope to see as many of you as possible at Maggie Valley and also at The B-B-Que

Cruzr Joe

spyderfest.jpg
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 05-14-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

This was our first. Sure, we got upset with the weather. But there's only one who controls it. Kris had a great time with the GOS and meeting more of those ladies face to face. Will we do it again? Yes. 2014? Don't know yet.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I fixed one typo. I don't care how many time I read one of these before posting I always find a typo the next day, guess my mind sees what it wants to see.
    Don't feel bad, I do much the same. Sometimes I don't see them until somebody quotes them. Different backround maybe? Hopefully our sixth grade teachers aren't reading this, nobody else will notice.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 05-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After looking at all 516 pictures I can certainly tell I missed out on a lot of fun.....I am so looking forward to attending my first Spyderfest in 2014. My thanks goes out to everyone who posted pictures and shared your adventures, it sure helped me feel like I was there.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Don't feel bad, I do much the same. Sometimes I don't see them until somebody quotes them. Different backround maybe? Hopefully our sixth grade teachers aren't reading this, so nobobdy else will notice.
    Your so right,Scotty!

Spyder Garage

Great thread
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    I can't wait for next year!

(Note: Hopefully one of these events: Spyderfest or KofC's TN State Convention, will end up moving at some point... in the meantime, I will do what I did this year... stay as long as I can in Spyderfest and then head back to TN until a) As I said one of the event's date changes or b) I have done my years as an KofC officer and step down as a State Delegate. I am planning to go to ALL Spyderfests possible!).
    Selfishly, Erick, I kind of hope it works out this way again next year. I sure had a blast rooming with Leira after you had to leave for your Knights of Columbus meeting. Although your GOS secretarial skills were missed!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    Selfishly, Erick, I kind of hope it works out this way again next year. I sure had a blast rooming with Leira after you had to leave for your Knights of Columbus meeting. Although your GOS secretarial skills were missed!
    Ok... only one more year then... after I that I stay the whole week!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5