Spyder Garage

Default ST Road Trip Impressions

Well, I bought my ST-L during the final weekend of Daytona Bike week in March. Road it straight to Daytona from the dealership that day then back home that night nearly 300 miles. I decided that the stock seat had to go because it sucks and since I have become accustomed to using seats from Ultimate Seats in Daytona on my previous bike(s). So I went up there to Daytona again and ordered my new seat and I got it a week before Spyderfest. A Hugh improvement over stock.

So far so good. It's D day and we head out for Spyderfest from South Fla. 1188 mile one way. We planned for a 2.5-3 day ride. Day2 and after hours of riding, I'm starting to feel a little crapped on the bike. Can't really seem to get comfortable. Sure it rides great and it handles good, pretty quick too but I just can't get comfortable. We get into Springfield on day 3 and I'm damn sure ready to get off the bike. We settle in to the Hotel later in the day because we had to make the rounds to Pitbull and Vendor Village, and to the Bonfire, etc. Next day we ride some more, get some stuff installed at Vendor village...... The weekend goes by and it's time to head back.

Day 1 return trip and by that afternoon, my mid back is in spasms. I fight through it and we settle in for the night. Day 2 more back spasms and a long day on this bike. Day 3 and we are almost home but I'm in a bad way. Manage to make it home and come morning, I'm stuck in bed with bad spasms. Get to the Chiropractor on Friday but not much relief. Muscle relaxers, Cold then hot packs. It's like a knife being stuck through my back by a used car salesman.

All the while on this trip, my lovely wife is completely enjoying her RT to and from Spyderfest with nary a complaint. Now mind you, she did say to me that she felt I would be better off buying an RT over the ST but who listens to their wife right? No, I want the New ST. I'm gonna love it after all, it's an awesome looking bike. Now bless her heart, she doesn't rub it in and say, "I told you so" but she doesn't have to as I can see it in her eyes. I spend the rest of the week (my vacation time) stuck in the house too cramped up to go anywhere, do anything and the weather here has been great to boot. Here it is Monday morning and you just can't call in sick on the heels of a 2 week vacation so I'm up and at'em but though I'm feeling a little better, I'm not near 100%.

In conclusion, As much as I like my ST, I have to admit it was the wrong bike for me and I should have gotten an RT instead just like my Mrs's said. So maybe next week, I'll head out to see if I can somehow get out of my ST and into an RT without taking too much of a bath on it. Either way, it's gotta go. Maggie Valley is next but I'm darn sure I won't be making the trip on my ST. Honey, you were right....again. When will I learn .....TBC
    His-2012 Spyder RT-S Quantum Blue ​SOLD / ​Hers-2012 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Nice narration..!!

Sorry to hear the ST did not fit you. Don't know that some modifications would help seems your set and hope you can transition to the RT without to much added expense..thanks and good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bummer...hate to hear that about you and the ST.....I find my ST comfortable...have the Corbin seat....I do think I want a wider shield...not taller...just wider...good luck on the trade

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I am loving my new ST also. I have almost 3500 miles on it within a couple of weeks. I rode 980 out to Spyderfest and the return trip of 980 was more comfortable as I ended up getting an alignment at Pitbull which made it a totally different ride as it was out of alignment from the factory and was toed in. Also order the CalSci XL Tall and XL Wide windshield which made a huge difference. I am not sure that the height as I have it all the way down and I can just see over it.....I am 6'4". When I have it up all the way it is way over my head and looking through it which I don't like. It does change the wind flow to a much cleaner flow compared to the stock. I may see if I can send it back for a small height one or else I will just be bringing the stock shield for around town usage on trips.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

The other thing I noticed is the ultimate seat is not as comfortable for the RS/ST series compared to the RT series. I have a Kontour design seat and looking at maybe going back to a corbin seat as the change in position on the ST also effects my comfort with the Kontour seat.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ST Road Trip Impressions

I just rode my ST Limited from Philly to Florida, the last 300 miles in rain. My only complaint is that the diameter of the grips are to small. I'll have to find something different when I get back home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Threally TOUGH part of all of this...
    You just know that she's not going to let you forget it!
    Could you do us a (BIG) favor?
    Try swapping a 15" front wheel over onto the RT... We need to get a definitive answer as to whether or not it is possible...
    And you've got the right bikes for the experiment!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You only live once, get what feels good. BTW...great looking dog!

Spyder Garage

Hmmm. I have an RS with an Ultimate Seat, I find it to be quite comfortable, but like anybody, all things in moderation (it helps to get off the seat and stretch at every fill-up, plus I'm usually good for 3-4 hours before I need a longer stop for a drink/snack/meal).

Also, even with the Ultimate I still use an Airhawk and a Beadrider, I bring both along for the roadtrips and basically use a rotation between those two and the stock seat. I find that helps stay comfy.

One thing that helps a bit on my RS is that I still have (shorty) pegs in addition to my (Rivco) footboards, PLUS highway pegs. This gives me three separate places to put my feet, again keeping me flexible on long trips. Everybody I know loves footboards, and the ST has great ones, but trust me: IME the best thing to have is *multiple* options to "mix it up" over time. Even the best option becomes the worst option if it's your ONLY option.

Anyway, I think you should hang onto your ST for a little while, and here's why: a 1200+ mile road trip hurts on most any bike. When I put in 500+ miles a day, I'm begging for a hot bath at the end of my day. It's in the nature of the sport.

Also, you might just be in a bad spot physically and need time to adjust to the bike. My first months on the RS, I couldn't do more than 120 miles at a pop. Over time, my tolerance increased (and so did my number of mods-- seat, pegs, boards, risers, cushions, etc.) until I could really kill the miles. NONE of that happened overnight, and yeah, sometimes I really frakkin' hurt by the time I got home. There's a reason I always schedule massages for when I get home.

But all of it was worth it, for now I *can* ride all those miles and hours with nothing but a smile on my face.

I say give it time. At least another trip or two. You already took the depreciation bath; it's not like a few more miles is going to cost you all that much $$$ at resale/trade-in. Before you regret buying an ST, be dang sure you won't regret getting rid of it.
    Last edited by daveinva; 05-06-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Honestly, unless you've ridden your wife's RT the same distance you have no idea whether it would cause the same pain. Just because she doesn't have back issues means nothing.

You will take a massive hit on the ST, probably close to $4k so I suggest you try some different seats. While Ultimate makes a great seat it's not for everyone. Sounds like a custom seat like a RDL should be in your future.

Spyder Garage

Default Ideas

As a DC and other training I offer a couple thoughts. If problem is in mid back your seat is less likely to help. Mid back muscles are postural muscles so head, shoulder and arm positions are big deal - as I am guessing was your point. You could try sitting comfortably on wife's spyder and take a picture from the side and then do same on yours - if there is a difference in your posture - I would guess you would be more forward in shoulders and having to tilt your head back - that is more work on the mid back muscles. So... Could adjustment to handlebars help? If not, may be that you really overworked muscles but that they will get used to it over time - do some easy exercises with bands for a couple weeks and see if it helps? Or, you are correct and the angle just won't work for you. Just thoughts - I always respect patient insights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile Sorry to hear of your issues

I'd say give it a bit. We absolutely love ours. I'm still with the original seat. Had the heated grips installed and love the size of them. Have noticed the windshield to be a little shaky depending on height and speed. The ride is fantastic, front end seems to be real tight and loves the corners.
    (I know my picture is old)

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the replies. You all have given me allot to think about. I'm still having spasms but it is better than it had been. I may look into the RDL seat. A cheaper option than buying another machine. I think if I could have a seat that's a couple inches farther back like the "Tall Boy Seat" my wife got from "Ultimate Seats" and maybe have the Handlebars moved slightly back too I could find the right spot for me. I've ridden my wife's RT on day long rides in total comfort so that's what I'm looking for. I feel like I need more room on my ST. I've got another visit to the Chiropractor and massage therapy later today so that should further help.

The Mrs. is fine with whatever decision I make as long as I get the comfort I'm looking for. She's been a great sport about all this. We'll see how it goes. Thank you for the compliment on our Dog "Zorro". He was a big hit with everybody on our trip. Always is. He's gotten to be quite the Paparazzi Hound. We are starting to know how CynciSpyder feels.......
    Last edited by ElZorroRides; 05-07-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    His-2012 Spyder RT-S Quantum Blue ​SOLD / ​Hers-2012 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I met Zorro over at PitBull's.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RS, the original seat is somewhat uncomfortable on long riders. Looking into getting a Corbin seat, they can be pricey. You guys opinion is really helpful in determining which seat to buy. Big thanks!!!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Are the adjustable handlebars available for the ST? I think that may be a big help to you. Good luck and I hope you get rid of the back spasms.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Are the adjustable handlebars available for the ST? I think that may be a big help to you. Good luck and I hope you get rid of the back spasms.
    No, but I wish they were. I would get them for my ST.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In 2010 I decided to get an RT rather than an RS because I have neck issues. The Rt riding position is more upright as opposed to the Rs which is leaning forward in a sport riding position . I have noticed that the St riding position is a slight lean forward ,maybe the riding position does not agree with your back, I know I would have a sore neck riding in that position. I think an RT would be your best option JMHO.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you are having back issues. There is nothing worse than a bike that does not fit properly. That can lead to many unhappy rydes.

I rode 2008 and 2009 GS/RS and had them totally dressed like an RT--prior to the RT's introduction. Change from GS to RT was like going from night to day for me. I did have custom seat (Corbin) and handlebar risers (4") for a more upright seating position--but the just did not have the feel of the RT for me.

Hard decisions: If you are going to trade--you will take somewhat of a bath--but--better to do it now than later. The longer you wait, the bigger the bath.

Another mentioned experimenting with seat cushions. I have both a sheepskin gel, and an airhawk. Also have seal floorboards which allow me to move around a bit. Depending on the "pain of the day", I may use one cushion or the other, and sometimes both.

Let us know what you decide. Hope you can find the configuration that works for you and allows you to have many happy miles of ryding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well thank you to all who replied here. In an update, my back was feeling allot better by Thursday though I'm still not 100% but on Saturday, I was feeling good enough to go and visit Central Fla. Power Sports in Kissimmee Fl. and met with Owner Jason who was very accommodating to me and was able to make me a deal that was very acceptable to both of us ref to trading my ST-L for an all new 2012 RT-S in Quantum Blue. Blue being a favorite color of mine. It all worked out very well and I am happy to say I am VERY comfortable on my new RT. Yes they had 2013's in stock but honestly, I was happy to get the 2012 as the price was way better and the features aren't all that different. I'm going to put some Seal Floor Boards on it and Elka Shocks and BajaRon Sway Bar on it so the new model won't have any real advantages to it for me.

A thank you to my friend Ivor for going to the dealership with me and making the introductions between Jason and myself. Also, the whole crew over at Central Fl Power Sports are just a great bunch and it was easy to see why they are such a popular dealership with allot of Fl. Spyder Ryders. They have a great reputation for customer service and the atmosphere was very friendly indeed. Also, a special thank you to my wife for being so understanding and supporting about all this. She loves the bike and was happy it all worked out

So here is a quick pic of me and my new ride. Looking forward to hitting the road in great comfort to Maggie Valley Next month....

Spyder Garage

Glad you got what you wanted.The matching jacket looks good as well.

ivor

Spyder Garage

on the new ryde. I hope it works out a whole lot better for you than the ST did.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the ST but Congrats on the new RT !!

Also, I loved the seat on your ST !!!

Tommy J.
    Last edited by fireplug98; 05-13-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black