Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    .................... Only cost $75.00 an hour

That's cheap compared to the dealers around here. I think my dealer is pushing $125 to $140 per hour. I haven't checked lately.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SCAMS

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    I am not trying to open up a can of worms here but if these products are bootleg how can a company sell them openly on the internet?Just search Buds software and you will see what I mean.
    Pretty much the same way they sell you gold bars from Niarobi..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post

That's cheap compared to the dealers around here. I think my dealer is pushing $125 to $140 per hour. I haven't checked lately.
    Yes but you are closer to DC.

Spyder Garage

One of these days the feds are going to catchup with this and they are going to HAVE to release the codes and programing so non dealer shops can work on them. The car makers were forced to do this on their engine and all accessory systems including abs brake systems. Its only a matter of time. These aren't off road recreational vehicles.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabreitbach View Post
    One of these days the feds are going to catchup with this and they are going to HAVE to release the codes and programing so non dealer shops can work on them. The car makers were forced to do this on their engine and all accessory systems including abs brake systems. Its only a matter of time. These aren't off road recreational vehicles.
    I was just going to post this same thing as I was talking to my friend who is a certified Toyota mechanic and he told me the exact same thing! They will have no choice, but to open it up for others to use.
    Last edited by Netminder; 05-04-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Has anyone purchased the BUDS software?

I dont think its worth the price even if it is legit for consumer to buy. I would own a copy if I thought it would allow me to do even one cool thing. I am pretty hard core when it comes to tweaking a bike. I would love to buy it if it would allow me to temporary disable some of the safety features of the spyder. Maybe even tweak the timing or fuel map data. It may do all this but I havent seen where it can be stored after changing. From what I have seen its like 500.00 for a copy with a 1 year license. I have paid way more that 500.00 for some of the mapping software for my other bikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Labor Rates

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post

My dealership is $80 but the letter announcing it is dated May 2009, so I better watch out! I've learned they charge 1/2 hour labor for an oil change. Plus $66 for the oil-kit of course, so this ain't Walmart! Oh, well....
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabreitbach View Post
    Was pleased to see that I ain't the only 1 that believes in Right to Repair
    In the United States it is Illegal for BRP to withhold the Technology (tool) to repair the Spyder.
    Just imagine how many non dealer repair shops would have to go completely out of business if the Cage industry were allowed to behave in this fashion.
    I have a $160 dollar repair manual that doesn't even list the fault codes, that is rich.

Newbie here, howdy everyone.

Spyder Garage

Gotta be a rip-off
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Was pleased to see that I ain't the only 1 that believes in Right to Repair
    In the United States it is Illegal for BRP to withhold the Technology (tool) to repair the Spyder.
    Just imagine how many non dealer repair shops would have to go completely out of business if the Cage industry were allowed to behave in this fashion.
    I have a $160 dollar repair manual that doesn't even list the fault codes, that is rich.

Newbie here, howdy everyone.
    +100!!! I have been saying this for over a year now. But people argued. This is part of many fair competition laws that BRP cannot hold a monopoly on servicing a product. But they will hold it until they are forced to release it and who knows when that will be! It will probably take a class action from 3rd party service companies.
    Once they are forced to alolow users to purchase the tools, they als could make it very expensive. They don't have to give it away only allow it to be purchased.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    +100!!! I have been saying this for over a year now. But people argued. This is part of many fair competition laws that BRP cannot hold a monopoly on servicing a product. But they will hold it until they are forced to release it and who knows when that will be! It will probably take a class action from 3rd party service companies.
    Once they are forced to alolow users to purchase the tools, they als could make it very expensive. They don't have to give it away only allow it to be purchased.

Bob
    I was told by a reliable source that you can buy the BUDS software from the company who wrote it and maintains it for BRP. You will get the updates the same as dealers do. BRP does not own the s/w, it's developers do, and BRP cannot prevent them from selling it to whoever they want. However, you will not access to BRP computers and thus any info generated during the use of the s/w does not get input into your vehicle history at BRP.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, this thread is old!
    You can get the software through brpdiagnostics....its about $700 and works flawless.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I own an auto repair shop and we have a very expensive ($10,000) snap on diagnostic tool that allows us to see codes and repair information for vehicles, we also pay like $160/month for Alldata so we can look up labor times and instructions.
    So i thought the question of buds software very interesting. It was no secret when we bought my Spyder that i owned a repair facility. I traded my polaris rzr for the spyder and had done all the repairs and customization myself and the dealer knew about it all and even asked questions about sources for items they liked.
    So when they asked me to buy the maintaince package, of course i laughed in his face....then he tells me "well the buds program is proprietary and you would need that to look up recalls and codes"
    well we just figured he was B.S'ing because we have the BA of all BA snapon computers right? WRONG.... can't get into the computer...hmmmm
    we have an under the table deal with a dealer that lets us use his computer when we need it to and we do some customization for them a bit cheaper. but i really didn't think much of it till i read this thread...
    On the one hand, why would google be forced to show its technology so other companies can compete on a fair playing ground, on the other hand, being a shop owner, why does a dealership get a monopoly on the technology to diagnosis and fix vehicles.
    I guess i can see it from both directions, but in the end, the dealership must allow for independent vehicle repair facilities the ability to obtain their technology which allows for fair competition and also allows for better repairs. Toyota and my other half had a coming to jesus talk when engineers at toyota couldn't figure out how to fix our tacoma's transmission. After 2 months, Richard figured it out and now Toyota wants the answer to avoid replacing transmissions at their expense.

As for right to repair... i googled it since i've never heard of a specific law that requires manufacters to release their vehicle technoloy and this is what i found
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr1449
    looks like the law status is ied (Referred to Committee) in a previous session of Congress

I will definately be keeping tabs on this, very interesting debate/issue...