Spyder Garage

Default Which sway bar for my 2022 S2S ?

Baja Ron standard or ultra? Facts about me. 90% solo rider. 80% leisure/20% sporty (nowhere near how I rode the F3S). Will never tow a trailer. Geared rider weight of 230#. I don't see Lamonster selling the ultra. I do see the 2020+ base bar and his no spacer links. Thx for input.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Baja Ron standard or ultra? Facts about me. 90% solo rider. 80% leisure/20% sporty (nowhere near how I rode the F3S). Will never tow a trailer. Geared rider weight of 230#. I don't see Lamonster selling the ultra. I do see the 2020+ base bar and his no spacer links. Thx for input.
    Based on what you say. The Original bar will probably do you fine. You don't give height (which is a factor). And the closer you get to 250 lbs. the more an Ultra Bar might give you some advantage. It will also depend on how much weight you carry in the rear baggage compartments.

Spacers or no spacers has nothing to do with the bar. Lamont uses trunnion bearings in his links. We use standard ball. The only difference is, a trunnion (by definition) incorporates the spacers. Whereas the ball needs to create this space with separate spacers. Once installed, they function identically.

Whichever bar kit you decide on. I hope you love it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Might do best to ask that question of Ron/Ron's Staff...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Based on what you say. The Original bar will probably do you fine. You don't give height (which is a factor). And the closer you get to 250 lbs. the more an Ultra Bar might give you some advantage. It will also depend on how much weight you carry in the rear baggage compartments.

Spacers or no spacers has nothing to do with the bar. Lamont uses trunnion bearings in his links. We use standard ball. The only difference is, a trunnion (by definition) incorporates the spacers. Whereas the ball needs to create this space with separate spacers. Once installed, they function identically.

Whichever bar kit you decide on. I hope you love it.
    Thank you Ron. Height is 6'3" ��

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

The taller you are, the more centrifugal force is exerted on the Spyder in turns. This is one reason that adding a rider (who sits several inches higher on the seat) makes such a big difference in handling.

With the parameters you've given, your riding style would be the deciding factor, as weight and height are (I don't want to say borderline). But does tend to move things towards the Ultra-Bar. With a mild riding style. The Original Bar will still probably be all you need.

Both bar kits will make a great deal of difference in improved handling. Functionally, there are no downsides to the Ultra-Bar. Price being the only consideration. We designed the Ultra-Bar to work, essentially, just like the Original Bar unless pushed by heavier loading and more aggressive riding.

It is a shame that it is not practical to try both before purchasing. However, I can say that many who ride 2-up (which is not your situation) have gone from the Original Bar to the Ultra-Bar and been very happy with the improvement. But to see improvement, you need to fit the heavy or aggressive categories.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-12-2023 at 09:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have the same Spyder and I'm the same weight. I installed the Ultra-bar with height adjusters for those time when I ride two-up or carry extra stuff in the storage compartments.

I have been riding all summer and have found that it makes a huge difference with handling. I really like it. Best upgrade so far. Ron's team is awesome too!

20230506_142411.jpg 20230526_204410.jpg
    Last edited by GFrog; 09-12-2023 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Typo
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

If a rider's parameters indicate that an Original bar is needed, would an Ultra bar have any detrimental affects on the ride quality?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorRider View Post
    If a rider's parameters indicate that an Original bar could be an improvement over the OEM Bar, would an Ultra bar have any detrimental affects on the ride quality?
    Fixed it ^^ for you, cos while there's little doubt the OEM bar is 'needed', there's not really any 'needed' involved beyond that so much as 'could bring an improvement' or 'would enhance the handling'...

• An OEM bar will work for anyone if the Spyder is driven suitably carefully/within its capabilities;
    • an Original BajaRon Bar will basically work to provide better handling over the OEM bar for everyone even if they never ride hard enough to explore that improvement, but might not provide quite enough of a handling improvement over the OEM bar if the rider/load is large or tall, or the rider frequently pushes the extremes of the Spyder's handling; and
    • the Ultra Bar will also work better for everyone even if they never ride that hard/aren't heavily loading/aren't tall, but the Ultra Bar will also handle those larger/taller loads/riders and those moments of 'pushing the extremes' a lot better than the OEM bar and somewhat better than the Original BajaRon Bar.

But are any of the upgrades actually 'Needed'?? But they certainly won't hurt! Especially if you fit into any of those ride harder/load heavier/push the extremes categories.

So really, the simple answer to your question is NO!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-12-2023 at 09:28 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just going to get the Ultra

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorRider View Post
    If a rider's parameters indicate that an Original bar is needed, would an Ultra bar have any detrimental affects on the ride quality?
    There really are no downsides to the Ultar-Bar (other than the higher price). Though with light to medium loading (rider & gear) and laid back riding style. You will probably not be taking advantage of the potential of the Ultra-Bar. But it will not negatively affect ride comfort.

Spyder Garage

keep your money in your wallet, original suspension will meet your needs.

Spyder Garage

I will be ordering the BajaRon Sway Bar soon. 225 lbs, 5'8" tall, kind of laid-back riding style. Guess I would be best suited for the Standard or Original Bar?
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I will be ordering the BajaRon Sway Bar soon. 225 lbs, 5'8" tall, kind of laid-back riding style. Guess I would be best suited for the Standard or Original Bar?
    As long as your riding style does not change and you don't find a partner to ride behind you, the Original Bar should suit you just fine.

Spyder Garage

Original
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Sorry Troop, just a small hijack (but related).

So Peter/Ron, just a little off track, and not relating to Ron’s bar (but it was Ron’s comment about height/weight that got me thinking).
    I have the yellow Rabbit Works bar (shipping costs from the US were prohibitive at the time (2022) and I wanted to support Aussie…..sorry Ron), and it has two holes. I have it in the stock hole, right at the end of the bar. With my 6’7”, 300lbs and 1.5” taller seat, would I be better served moving it to the other hole, an inch or so further up the bar? Is it worth trying to see if I like it more given my size, or should I just leave well enough alone?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Sorry Troop, just a small hijack (but related).

So Peter/Ron, just a little off track, and not relating to Ron’s bar (but it was Ron’s comment about height/weight that got me thinking).
    I have the yellow Rabbit Works bar (shipping costs from the US were prohibitive at the time (2022) and I wanted to support Aussie…..sorry Ron), and it has two holes. I have it in the stock hole, right at the end of the bar. With my 6’7”, 300lbs and 1.5” taller seat, would I be better served moving it to the other hole, an inch or so further up the bar? Is it worth trying to see if I like it more given my size, or should I just leave well enough alone?

Pete
    I reckon it'd be worth a try! After all, you'll never never know if you never ever go...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I'm 208# and 5'10"... I'm using the original bar and love it... I've never used the Ultra bar so I don't have a reference point.. I'm very satisfied with the original bar. My riding style is always one up with about 50% aggressive twisties and 50% interstate (70mph and up)
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T