Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Power steering went out

We hit something in the road other day with the left front wheel that gave a good thump. Like wheel ran over something. No noise other then a thump. Went a few hundred feet and lost power steering and flashed code DPS showing handle bar picture.
    When I got home I pulled main fuse and anything that I thought might help re-set a pc problem also checked all connections that I could reach under neath. Checked very close the connector going direct to power steering unit. Result of all this was eveything seemed as it should be.I also jacked front of bike off of jack stands so no weight was on wheels. Started bike up and power steering worked! This AM started bike up to fuel and again warnning code flashed and no power steering.
    What do I need to look for.Bike is sold and wanted to give it to new owner this week end, Now what?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Power steering went out

The very first thing I would check is the battery cable connections at the battery. The DPS pulls the most power and is the first thing to go kooky with loose battery connections or a dying battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did not Check connection at battery but it shows 12.74 volts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Checked on battery connection and the were not all that tight. WOW! thats it but no still no power steering. This thing is driving me nuts. Still searching.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J W Miller View Post
    Checked on battery connection and the were not all that tight. WOW! thats it but no still no power steering. This thing is driving me nuts. Still searching.
    What about the fuses and relays? Make sure that they are properly seated, remove and place again if you can.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J W Miller View Post
    We hit something in the road other day with the left front wheel that gave a good thump. Like wheel ran over something. No noise other then a thump. Went a few hundred feet and lost power steering and flashed code DPS showing handle bar picture.
    When I got home I pulled main fuse and anything that I thought might help re-set a pc problem also checked all connections that I could reach under neath. Checked very close the connector going direct to power steering unit. Result of all this was eveything seemed as it should be.I also jacked front of bike off of jack stands so no weight was on wheels. Started bike up and power steering worked! This AM started bike up to fuel and again warnning code flashed and no power steering.
    What do I need to look for.Bike is sold and wanted to give it to new owner this week end, Now what?
    Isn't there a sensor that goes to each of the wheels? If the power steering cut out after you hit something, that suggests to me something jarred loose at the wheel.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you fully charge the battery?, 12.7 is close to borderline..... Can't hurt to put it on a charger for a short time. The battery might be on it's way out....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pulled and re-seated any fuse that I thought would be possible to have anything to do with steering also pulled main fuses thinking maybe it might re-set sensors or pc. Battery is on charger now and is a new high line AGM.
    Bike as of Sat.AM on its way to dealer. I am thinking as others, are might be a sensor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default power steering up date

Bike is at the dealer who seems to think might just be a sensor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on failed power steering

Dealer has informed me that my RPM 1 Warranty will cover repair. Seems that the power steering unit has failed and a new DPS unit is on order. And before any one ask yes this bike had DPS recall for defective DPS.

Spyder Garage

Was there much difference in handling when the power steering went out?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Steering effort was a little harder at low speeds and did not hold a straight very well at higher speeds. Seemed to be more play in steering also. Pc screen flashing check DPS.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Picked up bike from dealer and all is well, rides good. About $1100. repair RPM1 warranty covered it. Dealer stated since recall several years back has not had to replace any DPS. Will be trading bike off for a Goldwing trike very soon just no longer my cup of tea.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I must really be getting old. In my last post I for got to report that the problem with power steering was that The DPS failed and had to be replaced. That should make my last post make more sense, Sorry