Spyder Garage

Default Too many lights? Too bight?

My Spyder is an RT limited.

Setting: Driving on Base and stopped at a red light. The road is 2 lanes and 2 directions. The light is at the top of a crest and moving forward, I’ll be heading down an incline (not really a hill per say).

Light turns green and I take off. Since it’s on base, I ALWAYS drive the exact speed limit. I see a Security Forces (SF) vehicle and he flashes his lights at me. I ignore it as I have my low beams on. He flashes his lights again and I ignore them again.

About a ¼ mile down the road, I turn into the parking lot and park the bike. In pulls the SF guy.

SF: Did you see me flash my lights at you twice?
    Me: I Did
    SF: Why didn’t you turn your bright lights off?
    Me: They aren’t on and if I flash my high beams, I would have blinded you.
    SF: How many lights to you have on the front? In Ohio you can only have to headlights and 2 aux lights.
    Me: I have more than 4 lights in the front
    SF: I can give you a ticket as it’s against the law.
    ME: OK but this is the way the bike is and I can’t change it as that’s how the bike is from the factory.
    SF: it’s against Ohio law.
    Me: OK? There's nothing I can do. Let’s go look at the front then.: 2 headlights, 2 running lights, 2 aux lights and 2 fog lights (I counted the whole headlamp as one).

Comment: I showed him the lights and how I can turn the fogs off but that’s it. Also showed him the high beams vs. Low. Now, I must divulge something here. I did turn up the lows a little as I think they are too low from the factory.

SF: I suggest you leave the fog lights off when riding on base.
    ME: (Biting my tongue ) OK.

I did volunteer that I would turn them down (I didn’t tell him they were turned up and I have no plans on turning them back to the factory setting.) tonight. Plus I didn’t want to tell him that since I was higher than him, my lights were higher too.

Then the best part, he forgot to put his truck in Park and it started moving towards us. His partner ran around and jumped in and hit the brakes.

So that was my morning coming to work.
    ----
    USAF Retired (1986 - 2006)
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain
    Riding with Dignity, Honor and Respect

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default SF MP Ego's

​Don't you just love it? They were probably bored and wanted to impress the shift commander or the Shift NCOIC...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

In Jersey, Any more than 4 forward projecting lights are illegal, Even if the extra lights are turned off.
    The extra lights must have covers on them, The extra lights are for off road use only.

Spyder Garage

Same rules in Michigan...but it does apply only to forward projecting lights, not marker lights. If your lights are aimed too high, you need to lower them or risk a ticket...plain and simple. If the were shining in his eyes, he was well within his rights to stop you...and just doing the job he is paid to do.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I left my lights alone after adding the Elkas... ONLY because the low beams were WAY low in the first place. During my ride to SpyderFest; I only got flashed once, so I'm not ready to dial them back just yet; but I'm aware of the situation...
    Most folks in my neck of the woods have little patience for blinding lights; I'll let them tell me what adjustments are needed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I left my lights alone after adding the Elkas... ONLY because the low beams were WAY low in the first place. During my ride to SpyderFest; I only got flashed once, so I'm not ready to dial them back just yet; but I'm aware of the situation...
    Most folks in my neck of the woods have little patience for blinding lights; I'll let them tell me what adjustments are needed.
    Yep, even when I'm in my Truck with the stock fog lights' factory mounted low [where there supposed to be], The Hooples up your way in the Kit-skill's, Flash back, And i might add some will flash aggressively......

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The other thing that will affect the aim point of the head lights is the air pressure in the rear shock. As it goes down your aim-point for the head lights will go up. Very important to follow the procedure when you are setting the aim per the instructions or you may find that what you thought was set properly will still be too high when you sit on the bike.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Yep, even when I'm in my Truck with the stock fog lights' factory mounted low [where there supposed to be], The Hooples up your way in the Kit-skill's, Flash back, And i might add some will flash aggressively......
    Guilty as charged!

Spyder Garage

NY also has a max on lights pointing forward. The RT with fog lights is illegal - if I remember right.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmm Good to know

So I too live in the "Dayton" ohio area. This is good info to know for the fact I'm am in the process of adding lights to my Spyder. So what I am reading is that its NOT OK to add LEDS or its ok as long as there not foward projecting? I would hate to spend the money then come home to tell my wife I got it a ticket for it adn have to spend more OOPS!
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Spyder Garage

Default Wondering about KS law?

Wondering what KS law has to say on this subject or Missouri?

I know when I put my Elka's on I re-adjusted the lights cause the dealership forgot to do so. Then my shock reloaction was not done to where it should have been done so at Spyderfest I had the new brackets installed and the Elka's moved to the proper location. Raised the bike 2 inches---so once again am going to have to dial my lights down again- as I do NOT want to deal with the "LAW"---some of these small Kansas towns love to throw the book at you and when you get a ticket they include court fees automatically.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

the lights are high(er) but I've never been flashed by any on-coming vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaw44 View Post
    So I too live in the "Dayton" ohio area. This is good info to know for the fact I'm am in the process of adding lights to my Spyder. So what I am reading is that its NOT OK to add LEDS or its ok as long as there not foward projecting? I would hate to spend the money then come home to tell my wife I got it a ticket for it adn have to spend more OOPS!
    I'm still looking through the oHIo Revised Code for the numbers info. I did find a reference on how far/high they can be aimed but still nothing on the numbers. I will lower them a bit but not factory.
    ----
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain

Spyder Garage

Some times they have slow days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mclaw44 View Post
    The problem is the difference between "Headlights and "parking lights". I believe there is a limit of four "headlights", but no mention of "parking lights". In my opinion "glowing LEDS" facing forward would not be a problem, but "super bright leds that display a beam would be. That said, I saw a car today with 4 or 5 "Super bright LEDS on the two front corners. Factory set up. In daylight, they appeared bright enough to drive with. Headlights or parking lights. Most of the time, a State Police office can show you the law. Some laws have not caught up to things today. Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The key words are;;; ''Forward projecting lights''......

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The front of mine looks like a X-Mas tree is coming at you...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I M H O

I believe if the vehicle is registered in any State and is Legal there and complies with all Fed D>O>T> Regs, and is Stock from the Manufacturor....it can be driven anywhere Legally......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-02-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

I think many are just not used to the projector lens type of light the Spyders use... especially when you come up behind someone. I've been flashed many times.... but never by a cop... which is what matters.

Put HID's in and you'll get even more flashers.

Make sure and when you aim your headlights to sit on the bike and have it loaded as you usually would ride.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Lowered the lights last night
    ----
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shrubs View Post
    the lights are high(er) but I've never been flashed by any on-coming vehicles.

I'm still looking through the oHIo Revised Code for the numbers info. I did find a reference on how far/high they can be aimed but still nothing on the numbers. I will lower them a bit but not factory.
    As the spyder has only one beam. High. On low beam the flappers simply cover part of the bulbs. If you have adjusted "up", on-coming traffic, may be seeing what would be high beam as the flappers would not be as effective. I can drop the pressure in the rear while driving and notice a diffenite difference where the beams land out front.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Put HID's in and you'll get even more flashers.
    once the HIDs went in I began getting flashed by a lot of vehicles. I do need to lower my headlight aim slightly, but the HIDs made a huge difference to the other drivers coming towards me.

I have never had an issue with all of the LEDs I have on my Spyder, and have even had officers tell me they think it is a great idea to make sure other drivers see me.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I had HIDs on the '12 but don't have them (yet) on the '13. They were indeed quite a bit brighter.
    ----
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain

Spyder Garage

Ah, the good old Sky Cops. Most are pretty good but some take that badge a bit too far. I was handcuffed and taken off the flight line in the back of a pickup while responding to a ground emergency. Opps, that was by Security Forces not LE. Hey, anybody remember the white hats???

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shrubs View Post
    I had HIDs on the '12 but don't have them (yet) on the '13. They were indeed quite a bit brighter.
    You guys are gonna get me into some REALLY big trouble...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Ah, the good old Sky Cops. Most are pretty good but some take that badge a bit too far. I was handcuffed and taken off the flight line in the back of a pickup while responding to a ground emergency. Opps, that was by Security Forces not LE. Hey, anybody remember the white hats???
    I not only remember them, I was one . I was also one of the few USAF motorcycle Air Police. Special regs had to be written to allow us to wear helmets, instead of the white hats on them. I can also remember getting DR578 citations for wearing a helmet with a regular uniform. This was for being out of uniform. Later on, was a "Uncle Curts" SAC trained "killer". Long time ago. Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner