Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Too many lights? Too bight?

My Spyder is an RT limited.

Setting: Driving on Base and stopped at a red light. The road is 2 lanes and 2 directions. The light is at the top of a crest and moving forward, I’ll be heading down an incline (not really a hill per say).

Light turns green and I take off. Since it’s on base, I ALWAYS drive the exact speed limit. I see a Security Forces (SF) vehicle and he flashes his lights at me. I ignore it as I have my low beams on. He flashes his lights again and I ignore them again.

About a ¼ mile down the road, I turn into the parking lot and park the bike. In pulls the SF guy.

SF: Did you see me flash my lights at you twice?
    Me: I Did
    SF: Why didn’t you turn your bright lights off?
    Me: They aren’t on and if I flash my high beams, I would have blinded you.
    SF: How many lights to you have on the front? In Ohio you can only have to headlights and 2 aux lights.
    Me: I have more than 4 lights in the front
    SF: I can give you a ticket as it’s against the law.
    ME: OK but this is the way the bike is and I can’t change it as that’s how the bike is from the factory.
    SF: it’s against Ohio law.
    Me: OK? There's nothing I can do. Let’s go look at the front then.: 2 headlights, 2 running lights, 2 aux lights and 2 fog lights (I counted the whole headlamp as one).

Comment: I showed him the lights and how I can turn the fogs off but that’s it. Also showed him the high beams vs. Low. Now, I must divulge something here. I did turn up the lows a little as I think they are too low from the factory.

SF: I suggest you leave the fog lights off when riding on base.
    ME: (Biting my tongue ) OK.

I did volunteer that I would turn them down (I didn’t tell him they were turned up and I have no plans on turning them back to the factory setting.) tonight. Plus I didn’t want to tell him that since I was higher than him, my lights were higher too.

Then the best part, he forgot to put his truck in Park and it started moving towards us. His partner ran around and jumped in and hit the brakes.

So that was my morning coming to work.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default SF MP Ego's

​Don't you just love it? They were probably bored and wanted to impress the shift commander or the Shift NCOIC...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

In Jersey, Any more than 4 forward projecting lights are illegal, Even if the extra lights are turned off.
    The extra lights must have covers on them, The extra lights are for off road use only.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Same rules in Michigan...but it does apply only to forward projecting lights, not marker lights. If your lights are aimed too high, you need to lower them or risk a ticket...plain and simple. If the were shining in his eyes, he was well within his rights to stop you...and just doing the job he is paid to do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I left my lights alone after adding the Elkas... ONLY because the low beams were WAY low in the first place. During my ride to SpyderFest; I only got flashed once, so I'm not ready to dial them back just yet; but I'm aware of the situation...
    Most folks in my neck of the woods have little patience for blinding lights; I'll let them tell me what adjustments are needed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I left my lights alone after adding the Elkas... ONLY because the low beams were WAY low in the first place. During my ride to SpyderFest; I only got flashed once, so I'm not ready to dial them back just yet; but I'm aware of the situation...
    Most folks in my neck of the woods have little patience for blinding lights; I'll let them tell me what adjustments are needed.
    Yep, even when I'm in my Truck with the stock fog lights' factory mounted low [where there supposed to be], The Hooples up your way in the Kit-skill's, Flash back, And i might add some will flash aggressively......

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The other thing that will affect the aim point of the head lights is the air pressure in the rear shock. As it goes down your aim-point for the head lights will go up. Very important to follow the procedure when you are setting the aim per the instructions or you may find that what you thought was set properly will still be too high when you sit on the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Yep, even when I'm in my Truck with the stock fog lights' factory mounted low [where there supposed to be], The Hooples up your way in the Kit-skill's, Flash back, And i might add some will flash aggressively......
    Guilty as charged!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black