Spyder Garage

Default Love our RT limited, but I think its time for

a new seat. The stock limited seat is ok, but I seem to be a little to far forward for my liking.

I read the "comfort seat" from BRP adds 2" more for the driver, not sure if that will help that much. I was hoping some folks would chime in on their seat choices with some feedback to help me make my decesion. Thanks!!
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You really need to sit on each of the options. Good luck!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

As Anne said above: Sitting on various seats is the best option.

The comfort seat is a very good replacement for the OEM. Costs about $500--about 1/2 the price of other aftermarket options. I have had two of these on my 's and they are an improvement over the OEM.

I have also had Corbins on my other two 's. You either like em or hate em. I have over 50,000 miles total on the two Corbin seats.

Others mentioned are Russel Day Long, and Ultimate seats.

Check the search function and you will find some reviews.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The comfort seat is worth the upgrade

The new comfort seat made all the difference in the world but what seals the deal is with a Utopia backrest.
    With both those changes to my RT I can go another 10 minutes longer.....Just kidding. It really made a difference for me. Just be aware you gain two inches but your passenger loses two inches.

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    a new seat. The stock limited seat is ok, but I seem to be a little to far forward for my liking.

I read the "comfort seat" from BRP adds 2" more for the driver, not sure if that will help that much. I was hoping some folks would chime in on their seat choices with some feedback to help me make my decesion. Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

you really have to try them out. Not that easy but if you find a group ryde maybe there will be some of the different models to try. Seat guys should have displays like saddles...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post

Here is what I am doing for the same reason as you stated...posted on this forum; http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ing-customized

Spyder Garage

I agree that the best way to judge is to go to an event and ask other owners to try out their seats. I think the second best bet is to purchase something like a Russell Day-Long, where you send in measurements, weight, and photos of you sitting on the bike, along with your desires for change (2'' further back, etc.) and they custom build a seat to your specifications. The other option, and cheaper and quicker, is to take pot luck and buy the Comfort Seat to try it. You can always sell it later if it isn't the answer, although it will cost you some bucks. If it works, though, you can do a review here and let others know how you like it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

People will tell you to sit on them and see what feels good, and in my opinion, that is useless. Sitting on it for 2 minutes tells you nothing. A good seat like Corbin, takes at least 1000 miles of riding to mold to the rider like a horse saddle does. To me any aftermarket seat will be using a much better pan and better quality foam than an OEM seat. We just went to Corbin, they installed a seat, and let us drive around for about 3 hours to feel it and see if we liked it. I could tell after that amount of time it was like night and day. Now, after about 3k miles of ryding, both my wife and I feel like we can go all day. Our only regret is we did not do it sooner. We live in Cocoa Beach and went to both Ultimate and Corbin and decided on the Corbin, but both great products and you cant go wrong with either one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you ride two-up a lot? Moving you back a bit will take room away from your Navigator...
    We totalled up well over 2700 miles on the run to Springfield. I figured that it would be the test that I had been waiting for on the OEM seat. It passed with flying colors! (But that's just my rear-end talking... )
    That having been said; I STILL have my eye on an Ultimate seat...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    People will tell you to sit on them and see what feels good, and in my opinion, that is useless. Sitting on it for 2 minutes tells you nothing. A good seat like Corbin, takes at least 1000 miles of riding to mold to the rider like a horse saddle does. To me any aftermarket seat will be using a much better pan and better quality foam than an OEM seat. We just went to Corbin, they installed a seat, and let us drive around for about 3 hours to feel it and see if we liked it. I could tell after that amount of time it was like night and day. Now, after about 3k miles of ryding, both my wife and I feel like we can go all day. Our only regret is we did not do it sooner. We live in Cocoa Beach and went to both Ultimate and Corbin and decided on the Corbin, but both great products and you cant go wrong with either one.
    I agree that two minutes on a seat won't tell you about long-term comfort, but it will tell you about the basic seating position and seat type. In this case the rider felt he was too close. He might find the Comfort Seat was too far, the Corbin too low, another too dished, another too wide, etc. In the end, seats are a gamble. You buy one, and hope it will adjust to your backside and suit your needs. If not, you try something else. It still pays to sit on a few for the basic feel of them. Corbins work well for you, but have never worked for me. Two minutes on one for the Spyder has been downright painful..I have tried a few times. It is better to know that from a quick try, than to spend hundreds of dollars up front. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Seats are like windshields, You might have to go though 2 of them before you find one that might work for you.
    Every bike i've owned, When i sold it' At least 2 extra windshields went with them, Plus extra seats.
    Bikes / Trikes are not like cars with fully adjustable seats..... So there's always going to be compromise's....

Spyder Garage

I changed my stock seat also. After about 20 mins. it wasn't as comfy as when I started. I went with the Ultimate Reach Seat. It moved me 1 1/2 inches back. I'm 6'0" and the 1 1/2" don't sound like much but it makes a world of difference and my wife still has plenty of room. One of the things I like best about the seat is the gas door option. You don't need to life the seat to gas up. I also ordered the back rest with the seat. Have about 200 miles on the seat so far and am very happy with my choice, your mileage may vary.
    Doc.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

you will notice the difference in the position pretty quickly. I recently updated the stock seats on two machines - both to ultimate but one remained the conventional sitting position and the other (mine) I moved to the "Tall Boy" that gives an additional 1.5" in position. I can tell immediately when I go from one machine to the other and much prefer for myself the "Tall Boy" seat.

Agree with the one poster that said the real treat is adding the backrest. Both our Ultimate seats included the ryder backrest and after one ride both my wife and I agreed we will NEVER go back to ryding without the backrests!

Good luck on your decision on "which" seat you go with. For me it would never again be a matter of "if" but "which one to go with in the better seat position?"
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for the feedback!!!

I have online looked at the Ultimate seat, Corbin, and Russel Day Long. I like the option Russel Day Long has as far as custom fitting. They all seem to poduce a quality product, money if spent for a seat we like is not the number one issue, although a factor still. The dealer has a demo model with the Can Am comfort seat installed, and I'm going there to take a long test drive.... I think your all right in that no two seats are alike and I'm just going to have to try several. Ill keep you posted....

Thanks!!
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget Motorcycle Dave one of the sponsors on here.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White