Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration 2011 RTL SE5

It is a 2011, SE-5, no trailer hitch, RT-L. 4,600 miles on it. Equipped with a Corbin seat. And the BRP optionally big windshield. Two riders 1 @ 162# (me) her 145#. Front TP @ 18# shocks set at #5 position.

Our first long ride, over an hour was from Ormond Beach to Leesburg the temperature was about 85 F on the trip over we had no noticeable head or cross winds. Coming back we had a moderate diagonal cross wind guess timated 15/25 MPH . our last bike was an 88 GW 1500 1988 model.

My chief concern is a vibration being generated while underway at speeds from 55/65 MPH range regardless of being under power or in deceleration mode. She felt it coming through her feet and butt. To the point of numbing her feet and butt. I felt it primarily in my feet. I moved my feet constantly forwards and backwards and in and out, straight and angled as much as I could get a way with. I got tight one time in the hands and felt the wobbles in the steering kick in so I knew I had to relax and un-stress myself.

I am concerned that if we don't eliminate the vibration it will eventually eliminate her riding with me. It is not tires or suspension harmonics. I am wondering if it could be coming from the drive belt as this is our first ride that has had a drive belt instead of a constant maintenance roller chain or a drive shaft. I don't have a clue how rough/smooth a drive belt should be. But I am sure it should not make your feet tingle?

Anyone got an idea and a suggestion as how I check for it to prove it as the cause or not the cause?

I read Lamont's plan to ride 700 miles in a day and there is no way this Spyder would allow that to happen the way it is right now. The driver would have to be removed by crane!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey, Bob, I ain't no wrench, but belt adjustment could be your problem...they do stretch...ya might have it checked.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Talking

55 to 65 MPH - in what gear.

Any idea what RPM range you were most consistently running in at those speeds?

Sounds like a low RPM Rotax V twin grumble. Caused by maintaining too low a RPM.

While a belt tensioner will help with higher RPM vibes, it will not do anything if your problem is caused by running too low in the RPM band.

Just can't run the Rotax at low RPM's like we got used to with the Wing. jmy2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have the dealer check the belt first. They use a special sonic gage that determines tension by the belt vibration characteristics. The spec is 450 +/- 150. My dealer tries to keep it in the 500-550 range and it works well there -- minimal vibration. One time it got down to near 300 (still in spec) and the vibes were really noticeable. I was amazed how smooth it got when he took it back to just over 500. My wife also complained of floorboard vibration but now that seems to be a thing of the past. Don't get me wrong -- it's no Gold Wing and it's not supposed to be. It's a big V-twin with a balance shaft for smoothness. For a 1000cc twin, it's smooth, very smooth. We rode a GL1800 Gold Wing for 100K miles and that sets the standard for smoothness. And the standard for low-end torque -- the RT needs to rev more, you can't keep the rev's as low as on the Wing. Your speeds of 55-65mph are right around the borderline where I choose between 4th and 5th for cruising. Get your belt set up right and then see how it feels.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Please check your sprockets and belt carefully for damage, debris build-up, or a stone caught in the sprocket. The tiniest bit of tar can cause a strong vibration. A stone that is only half the height of the procket groove will shake your eye teeth out. A damaged or missing belt tooth (usually a result of stone damage) can do much the same. While your problem could be v-twin shake, belt harmonics, or even motor mount interference, if the vibration is real bad, and especially if it has changed from before, the belt or sprocket is the first place to look.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Additional information

The Spyder was bought in August of 2011. The 600 mile inspection was done. About 6 months later, it was either to hot or to wet to ride much, so I sat in the cool dry house and polished it. It has been back to the dealer for a oil change and a look over. 4,670 miles today. Has the belt been adjusted? I will have to ask!

Reference the RPM ranges I run it at? Simply put I normally run it out to 4,500/5,000 to shift even if traffic slows me down I maintain a running RPM of 3,800/4,500 RPM?.

Since I found out that it is happier and smoother between 4,000/6,000 RPM I find myself punching the down button more an more.

This weekend being the longest it has been run.it gave up 44MPG. Which is not to shabby by my standards.

Spyder Garage

Make sure everything is clean as Scotty has suggested.

Our 2011 RT developed a bit of a vibration some time last week in Springfield. Noticed it on the way home particularly under load headed up hill. I could make it happen and with a tweak of the throttle I could make it go away. Last time this happened the belt tension was off.

This is not per the book but yesterday I was able to twist the belt, mid way between the front and rear sprocket, along its axes 90 deg pretty easy. Looks like a trip to the service department is order. Or, maybe it's time to install the "SmoothSpyder"

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Spyder Garage

Looking for reassurance here !! :-)
    Does the SmoothSpyder really work ??
    I know that Baker AirWings has a version of that also.
    Been debating on getting one or the other.

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks <#2

Thanks again.

I guess I get to learn a whole new set of shake, rattle an roll feelings and causes with the Spyder !

Don't have to sweat any rocks or stones have not been near any and I just washed it all down Friday but I will do it any way.

Thanks again

i'm beginning to think roller chain and all its ideosycrasis was better at telling you what it needed. It would tell you when it needed lubed, adjusted, replaced and you could look at the sprockets ten feet away and see how bad they were. These belts do not appear to talk back or maybe I am not tuned to the right channel yet?
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 05-01-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fireplug98 View Post
    Looking for reassurance here !! :-) Does the SmoothSpyder really work ??
    I know that Baker AirWings has a version of that also. Been debating on getting one or the other.

Tommy J.
    In theory I can see how an idler against the lower path of the belt would work.

The upper path of the belt generally has tension on it to some degree or another as it's being pulled forward by the engine thereby rotating the rear wheel. The lower path of the belt just goes along for the ride as it makes its way back around to do some actual work. Seems reasonable to conclude that there is some slop along the lower path which is where the vibration we feel comes from. This is where the idler does its job to minimize, or eliminate all together, the vibration.

I don't recall anyone on SL saying the idler doesn't work. Maybe a few of those will chime in with their real world experience.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Thanks again.

I guess I get to learn a whole new set of shake, rattle an roll feelings and causes with the Spyder !

Don't have to sweat any rocks or stones have not been near any and I just washed it all down Friday but I will do it any way.

Thanks again

i'm beginning to think roller chain and all its ideosycrasis was better at telling you what it needed. It would tell you when it needed lubed, adjusted, replaced and you could look at the sprockets ten feet away and see how bad they were. These belts do not appear to talk back or maybe I am not tuned to the right channel yet?
    Don't be so sure about a stone lodged in a sprocket or a stone damaged belt. It is super easy to pick up a loose stone sitting on top of the pavement. I don't know about where you live, but our streets sure aren't without some gravel in the corners occasionally.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Debris

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Don't be so sure about a stone lodged in a sprocket or a stone damaged belt. It is super easy to pick up a loose stone sitting on top of the pavement. I don't know about where you live, but our streets sure aren't without some gravel in the corners occasionally.
    Scotty, for you I will go out an do the drive belt low crawl on the garage floor today while it rains

Spyder Garage

Scotty, for you I will go out an do the drive belt low crawl on the garage floor today while it rains
    Please don't do it for me...I have done it myself. My vibration the last time was from little bits of tar that became smashed in the sprocket grooves. They didn't even look like they stuck up, but running a small screwdriver up each groove, I could feel them. Scrapped them out carefully, wire brushed the grooves, and the vibration was gone. Be warned that it takes a long time to check or clean each and every groove. ...and I agree that the garage floor does get real cold and hard by the end.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Results'

Scotty

Negative on debris in the belt or sprocket. Which is a good thing. I have an open service appointment for this upcoming week for the Service Manager to ride it see what he thinks first then apply a fix.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Problem solved

It turned out that a loose drive belt was the culprit . The tech is doing it right now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It turned out that a loose drive belt was the culprit . The tech is doing it right now.
    That'll do it. Let us know how you and your passenger like the result.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Results information

I now have the RTL back that originally purchased.

Nice and smooth with the only herkie jerkie being from either the road surface or my right hand.

thanks everyone again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's the fun started again. It would be nice if the pax foot rest have isolation rubber.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod