Spyder Garage

Default RT started dying when coming to a stop.

My 2010 RT A/C SE started dying when I come to a stop. This occurred after I filled her up with premium gas. My husband believes I got a crappy tank of gas and has put Seafoam into the tank. When it dyed no error codes appeared and the spyder started right back up. before anyone asks...I did not accidently hit the kill switch. The spyder dyed 3 times until when I came to a stop I kept the rpms at 2000. I am just concerned since I travel 40 miles each way to work on lonely country roads and dont want to get stranded. Any help would be appreciated....

Spyder Garage

It does suspiciously sound like bad gas. The Seafoam was a good idea. If you can, run the gas out and fill with some fresh gas from a good source. There is no real good way to drain the Spyder tank, although you could siphon some of the bad stuff out and fill fresh. The problem could be coincidental, and due to bad plugs, wires, or some other malady. Add some more Seafoam, Startron, or Marine Stabil and try to get through this tank. If it doesn't clear up, or gets worse, see your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I rode the spyder today with only one episode of dying when coming to a stop. I took the tank down to just below a quarter and filled up at a different station and added the rest of the Seafoam. So far no problems.

Spyder Garage

Good to hear!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default 2012-started to do the same thing while at Spyderfest

Our 2012 RTS-SE5- also started to pull this "Dying at stop lights" while down in Springfield.

It had happened ONCE and I asked Len- and he said did it start right up and I said yes, his response was it happens sometimes.

Well, when we left his shop today, at another stop light- boom---it died again but starts right back up.

It's almost like the idle sometimes dips low or if you listen to the idle closely it at times has a hiccup to it's normal rhythm.

Now my 2012 Spyder RTS- SE5 only has 880 miles on it since Dec. 1st- 2012---and has had it's 600 mile service.

Not sure what it is- if it is gas that would be interesting.

Most of the gas sadly has some ethanol in it, but have found a few places that sell ETHANOL FREE GAS and have purchased that a few times.

So I have no clue but gives you a real sense of insecurity---about the Spyder being "RELIABLE".

Thanks for this thread!

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Our new 2012 RT-S has done this also. We have 997 miles on her. Seems like I can be on the freeway for an hour or so and then when I get off the freeway and come to a stop or a light it will on occasion die. Typically only happens once in say 100-200 miles. Also starts right back up. Our 2011 RS never did this. I really am not to concerned about it and will just keep an eye on it.