Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dirty clutch fluid !

I have been getting what appears to be little peaces of black rubber or something in the clutch fluid. Reseach done on this board sounds like I will have to rebuild or replace some of the clutch hydraulic parts like now before I end up having to replace every thing to do a complete clutch job. Sounds like a bad o ring in the clutch servo. I do not think I will replace clutch plates thats another $300. Plan is to clean out hydraulic system and rebuild servo and replace handle bar unit. Hope I do not need a clutch disc pack.

Spyder Garage

Your slave cylinder is failing. Flushing will provide temporary relief, but eventually it will fail altogether. The O-rings deteriorate first, and then the aluminum in the slave cylinder scores and wears off. The black color is actually mostly aluminum particles. Have your dealer replace the slave, both halves of it plus the o-rings. This does not require replacement of the clutch, but if you ride with the bad slave long enough, it may affect the clutch due to incomplete disengagement. If your dealer is unsure of this, have him contact Wausau. Just had mine replaced for the same issue.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default clutch fluid

where the heck is the clutch fluid tank or what ever to check it and does a RT se5 have one or is this just for the Manual shifts bikes a Dumb question but I,am not a merchanic or the smartest Knife in the drawer thanks Rich

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    where the heck is the clutch fluid tank or what ever to check it and does a RT se5 have one or is this just for the Manual shifts bikes a Dumb question but I,am not a merchanic or the smartest Knife in the drawer thanks Rich
    Only the SM has a manual (hydraulic) clutch.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!