Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    If it was held here in paradise, it would not rain or be too cold or hot. But those attending would most likely need to trailer their Spyders out of the frigid North. The dry season here in the keys runs December thru April with almost zero rain and most every day 60's at night and high 70's to 80 day. Those that plan may want to give the keys a look. Also the Resort here at Gilbert's is most likely large enough to handle the event. So there you go Lamont, come on down and take a look.
    spyderfest is spyderfest and mogang won't be doing it in paradise! however, captain fin--- maybe you could put together keylargofest and we'll have another excuse for more fun!!!

Spyder Garage

Putting in another two cents worth. I can totally appreciate the time schedule of late April. May does start the "real beginning" of tourist season in the Ozarks. And the beginning of riding season. And having tried to plan events in May, it is next to impossible without the tourist aspect---ie, Mother's Day, Proms, Graduation, end of school activities etc. And April is perfect timing, even if the weather doesn't always cooperate. Mother Nature is fickle and the last weeks has proven that---rain one day, chilly temps another, sunburns the next. I think everyone who is posting "moving" Spyderfest needs to step up! I think first you have to find an AWESOME dealership like Pitbull and Len to be your MAJOR sponsor, and find a group of people who work as hard as MOGANG to put it together and work their keesters off making sure it is a success. I just want to say I am appreciative, and we have to take what mother nature dishes out.
    I rode home to Oklahoma yesterday, rain and cold, and almost all the clothes in my saddle bags to keep warm, and today rode in shirt sleeves. Come on, Spyderlovers, quit the belly achin' and appreciate what we have been privileged to share!

Spyder Garage

Two more cents, if everyone will remember this has been a strange weather year everywhere. Normally winter is Dec till early March and this year real winter did not start until early March here in Missouri and most everywhere else. Spyderfest has been successful because of its central location and normal Spring like weather the end of April this has just been an unusual weather year and if you don't believe me just ask any weatherman.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Having the event in May would greatly help us folks way up North. April is not motorcycle friendly here. If we want to attend Spyderfest in April we have to deal with temperatures in the 30's, the possibility of freezing rain or even snow, mud season, and roads that are still dangerously frost heaved with broken pavement and wheel eating potholes. Many of us are older now and not the road warriors we once were. My guess is that at least 75% of the people up North would not consider a long road trip in April which explains why there are so few of us at Spyderfest. Please consider moving the event to May and making it possible for so many more Spyderlovers to attend.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Whenever, wherever, or however an event is planned, it will not please everyone. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, not close enough to where I live, too close to where I live, the roads are too straight, the curves are too tight, not enough group rides, too many group rides, not enough vendors, too many vendors, too long, too short, I don't like the restaurants, I don't like the motels, I prefer to camp, I hate to camp, too expensive, wrong days of the week...the list goes on and on. The people in the South say the middle is too cold, the people from the North say it is too hot. You get the picture?

Motorcycle rallies are always at the mercy of the weather, the location, the organization, and a host of other variables. That is part of the adventure, and part of the fun. Rain puts you in close quarters and makes you new friends or renews old acquaintances, lack of activities lets you explore the local roads, even breakdowns make for good stories the next year...there is always a way to make lemonade. Long time touring riders know this, and thye take everything in stride.

If the event is moved, it will likely collide with something else. Some new people will come, but others will have to stay home. Let's quit our bellyaching and let the MOgang plan this to fit their thoughts and needs. If it works for them, it should work for us. They have had very good weather for several years, and had decent weather for at least half of this year's event. I say that is pretty decent. A baseball player is considered good if he hits only a third of the time. The glass is certainly half full...not half empty, as many would want us to believe.

Spyder Garage

Here's some historical weather averages for Springfield, MO, courtesy of the NOAA:

Avg. days per month with measurable precipitation:
    April - 11
    May - 11

Avg. days per month with cloudless skies:
    April - 12
    May - 12

Avg. days per month with recordable fog:
    April - 9
    May - 12

Average Daily Rainfall
    April - 3.6 inches
    May - 4.6 inches

Avg. % of precipitation as thunderstorms:
    April - 17%
    May - 24%

Average number of tornadoes in MO and AR:
    April - 15
    May - 19

Average Daily High/Low Temperature (Fahrenheit):
    April - 70/44
    May - 77/54

So, shifting it later will make it 7-10 degrees warmer, but... you will have just as much chance for sunny or rainy days, and if it does rain, it will rain harder and have a greater chance of severe weather. I'll take 50s and a soaking rain over 60s and scary weather.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: MoGang: PLEASE move Spyderfest to MAY

I think Mogang has to do what works best for them to hold an event. I have read enough here to see why they do what they do. What they haven't done is enlist a witch doctor, sorceror, or pay the Pope to ensure nicer weather.....

I think when I no longer have kids in school, I can work something like this in again. If I do however I will likely not pre-register so I can let the forecast help me with the final decision.

Sent from Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

I didn,t make the trip, personal reasons but Mogang and Pitbull did a great job keep it up.
    Can't do anything about the weather.Plan on going next year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Knock off the nonsense folks. Weather happens.

It was a great event with a great deal of effort and planning.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but someone finally had to say it... so I did.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    I think Mogang has to do what works best for them to hold an event. I have read enough here to see why they do what they do. What they haven't done is enlist a witch doctor, sorceror, or pay the Pope to ensure nicer weather.....

I think when I no longer have kids in school, I can work something like this in again. If I do however I will likely not pre-register so I can let the forecast help me with the final decision.

Sent from Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    Farmbanker, I can appreciate your situation. It's the same for everyone. You are close enough that you could decide at the last minute. The big issue for us is that we have to order shirts, hoodies, food or whatever, for those that want the size that fits them. That's why we have the pre-registration. When the event can double every year, we need a heads up, man. We fly by the seat of our pants every year because we base it on the year before. The logistics are killing us. We aren't pro's at this. It might look like it at times, but we are in constant communication on what's changing and where someone is broke down so that we can get them back to the shop. Every year is a challenge. We are already talking about what went well and what didn't. There will be many changes for next year. I hope to see you then, rain or shine, or snow and tornadoes, or drought or flood. You get the picture, see you then

Spyder Garage

I am not going to bash anyone or take sides. Spyderfest is MOgang's event for us. They set the dates, plan. Let's enjoy our memories of having a great time together. We just had the largest gathering of Spyder owners in one place. Pitbull motorsports has worked hard to have their dream of having a dealership in Springfield. I am considering moving to Springfield. I really liked the area. I'm going to start looking for jobs there and would like to join up with this wonderful group of ryders called MOgang.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    How about moving it out west some place the weather is better out here.
    This past week it has been in the 80's & low 90's sunny and great riding
    weather in the Gold Country near lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Reno and such.
    You notice my logo has the sun in the background no rain drops here. hahahah
    Dave
    Impossible, when it is owned by Len, who owns PitBull.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with CruzrJoe; hold it at the gate of Hades in August and I'll find a way to get there! The MOGang and the LenCrew all did unbelievable jobs!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments and for the constructive suggestions . As others have said, there is never a "perfect" time to hold Spyderfest for everyone. We can have rain, storms, hail, fog, etc. etc. any month that we would change the event to. Since it was in a totally new location this year we are back to a "learning curve" and we will do our best to improve for next years event. Thanks to all who came, hope that you enjoyed the "good" days and the "bad" days. Half the fun of Spyderfest is just talking about what you have added to the Spyder and what else you want to add, meeting old friends and making new ones.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    I agree. The weather isn't the fault of anyone, but this is/was my first fest and it was a real bummer to have so much time rained out. Alot of people left early, and there was nothing to do while it was raining, so it seemed that most folks holed up in their respective hotels unless they were getting something done at Pit Bull. On the good days the rides were great and I really appreciate all the work that went into organizing them. Have never been in this area of the country before and was looking forward to seeing alot more of it and meeting alot more spyder people too! I do have a few suggestions:
    • Agree with idea of resetting dates for this event when there is less likelihood of foul weather. MO residents will know what months have the least typical rain.
    • Regardless of date, have some alternate activities planned which do not rely on being outside. Since Springfiled is a staging area seems like it would be possible to arrange indoor activities, bike shows, vendor presentations, movies, dances or anything else that can be done indoors. Even just a large indoor meeting area, centrally located, would be a place where folks could get together other than the Pit Bull parking lot.
    • Communication- there should be some way to get updated info on the change in previously planned events to people. Example- the wedding that we all got a brochure about apparently did not take place at the time and place advertized, but this was not known to many. In this electronic age surely mass texts could be sent out (you have contact info for the registrants) and/or a known web address where changes could be posted. Or the old fashioned way, hotels could be contacted and they could set up some sort of announcement board that could be updated.
    • Pit Bull and other vendors may want to reassess their staffing and supply, as many folks were not able to purchase or have items installed, especially those arriving late.

These aren't meant as criticisms (just observations), I know it takes alot to organize something like this and experience can only make it better each year. Perhaps if others voice their ideas on the forum some good will come of it!
    As far as the WEDDING it was done at the Boathouse Friday nyt as the paper said and somewhat on time. It worked out great for the 1s that where there WE had a great wedding and I want to Thank everybody that made it out. My New wife and I had a blast.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Interest

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    spyderfest is spyderfest and mogang won't be doing it in paradise! however, captain fin--- maybe you could put together keylargofest and we'll have another excuse for more fun!!!
    The best time to come here and play is December thru April and I know by the posts that I see in the winter that those up North would love to have a break from the cold. Those that are interested can let me know what month would be best and I will see what we can do here at the resort to accomodate everyone. It could be a Spyder Winterfest with trips to Key West, Florida Everglades and other nearby points of interest. Let me hear from those that are interested. I think we are a big enough group that we could have a Spyder Winterfest in the Winter and Spyderfest in the Spring. I would like for everyone to experience the beauty of the Keys.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

A bushel of spinach leafs weighs a whole lot less than a bushel of corn. I'm not one to weigh my pound of corn in another's bushel. (cornfused?)

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 04-30-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    Dear Len and MoGang members: I am thoroughly tired of the April showers in Missouri (or was it Misery?)...how about trying for the May flowers instead (as the childhood rhyme goes)? Those of us not used to the cold could better acclimate to the weather in May...the time between Mother's Day and Memorial Day would work well (i.e. May 14 - 17). It wouldn't be too close to the Owners Event. Or consider moving Spyderfest to the fall. We could enjoy fall foliage and some great riding. It was a bummer to be in the Ozarks and get very little Spyder riding in.
    Thank you for saying what I've been thinking for several years. I have not gone to the event simply because it's still cold in April. Late May would be ideal. You can't do anything about rain but there's a much better chance it will be warmer and no snow in late May.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Coming from northern IL, we expect it might be a bit chilly in April but then again, at the end of April it may be hot as well. It's known as spring in the midwest! Last year it was 91 degrees as we rode through St. Louis ad of course this year it was raining and about 50 degrees. It is what riding is all about. If you want to ride, you put up with some of mother nature's little quirks. Yes, my partner spent Friday in the motel room while I rode around Springfield investigating. It may not be enjoyable to ride in rain but it is a lot safer on 3 wheels for sure. Len and the MoGang have pulled together an astonishing event and I can only begin to thank them over and over for all they do.You get into May and it is mother's day, graduations and Memorial day. Come the fall, well an early fall can bring just as much rain and cold as a late spring. I've rambled enough but I am happy with the current timeframe and will attempt to make the next Spyderfest as well if at all possible!

Diana

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I LOVE SF! They should make a t-shirt (please include the plus sizes next year) saying this with a great + size Spyder in back.

Springfield was great! Why there's more traffic in the rain the sun I will never know. And I never saw one city bus. Are they there? The city is basically laid out in a grid pattern which explains the grid lock in places. Just when I figured how to get around the place without a navigator I have to leave. I have never seen so many places to eat in my life! A lot of hospitals too for a town of 150,000. Is there a connection between hospitals and food I wonder?

The road to Branson is awesome! Didn't go on any group runs. Only did the passport. Maybe when the groups are broken down in groups of 10 or so I might consider it. Very hard to group rookies and experienced people properly, if there is such a way. You would need 20 guides for one run.

The magic of SF is not the ryde or the weather. Its the people. Give me Spyderfest or give me Sturgis! And I chose the fest. In April.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Poll created

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...fest-Happening

I just created a poll so that we Spyderlovers can have an idea of what the average SL and SF participant would like to see this happening.

As I stated on the thread, this is in NO WAY to submit a petition to Len and/or MoGang to change the date. This is to see what the people think. This is Len and the MoGang's call so please respect their decisions. They work very hard on doing all this and they know the area better than any one of us, so there is a reason behind why they picked the date.

Spyder Garage

Default MoGang: PLEASE move Spyderfest to MAY

I'm not seeing a poll set up on that link??? Good idea

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm not seeing a poll set up on that link??? Good idea
    It shows up for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Weatherand other Spyderfest thoughts........

For me the weather greatly reduced my enjoyment of the event. Cold and rain are not a good mix. Scheduling a few weeks later would not guarantee good weather, but it would most certainly increase the probability of better weather. After having lived in Florida for the last 50 years, my body can just not take the cold and rain. I understand that hotel prices would go up some, but I would rather pay more for a hotel room and not be miserable. None of the above is intended to be critical, but frankly, I would not be willing to drive over 1,100 miles to the event and roll the dice on the weather again. The MO GANG is to be commended for the volunteer hours that they put in. I am impressed that volunteers can pull off an event of this magnitude. I am sure that it took a great deal of work and planning. I went on the ride on Thursday. I thought the ride leader, and other ride captains did a great job of controlling a group of that size. The scenery in the area was beautiful. I just wish that I could have seen more of it. One minor complaint was the food quality. I definitely think the food needs to be upgraded. Perhaps that could be accomplished by charging the vendors a higher fee to attend. Thanks again to all of the volunteers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

sure, the weather could have been better, but no one (at least not that we know of) controls the weather

sure, would have preferred more ryde time

but, as I have said in another post, it was WONDERFUL to have spent time with and met all the Spyder Ryders that stayed at the Best Western - we had nightly conference room sessions that I'm sure drove the non Spyderfest guests a little crazy...... lol

and with the rain, Pitbull was overrun and I again would like to thank Len, Eric, and the rest of the Pitbull crew and MoGang folks for doing a great job in less than great circumstances

Hawaii anyone? lol...... it rains a lot there also