Spyder Garage

Default Am I an idiot? (Zumo 660 mounting question)

So, I bought a refurb Garmin Zumo 660 off of Amazon, and bought the mounting kit separately from my dealer, to mount the GPS on my 2012 RT-S.

I almost gave up upon looking at the instruction sheet ("I have to take *what* off? And how much of it?!"), but with much cursing and fussing (and a trip to Home Depot for a hex bit to fit the screws on the steering column), my wife and I got the bike apart and (most of) the wiring done.

Until we got to the part that instructed us to connect the GPS adaptor harness that came with the Can-Am mounting kit to the "vehicle harness." The one spot that looks like it ought to fit - doesn't.

I'm beginning to have the sneaking suspicion that I need to buy the "entertainment harness" kit and install that to connect the GPS to . . . can anyone confirm or deny, or maybe provide better info on where the connector on the GPS harness connects up to if I do already have everything I need?

(I'm not a complete idiot - we left those damn wires in there and just zip-tied 'em up out of the way! I'm not taking that headlight out again!)

Thanks for any help for this newbie!

Spyder Garage

Default Could it be..!!

your not an idiot by any means..we all run into these little snafoos..could it be as simple as stated above, could be...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you need more help, Lifestyle Honda in Mount Vernon might able to help you. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    No need for the entertainment harness.
    What I think is happening is that the place you reference as The one spot that looks like it ought to fit - doesn't. actually has a dummy plug stuck in the end to keep out dirt.
    Unplug the dummy end and all should be well.

And no, they don't tell you that in the instructions and they really should.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Roger! I should get the panels back off by the weekend (I commute to work every day, so I can't just leave the bike in pieces!), if I don't get it done tonight, and check out that plug again. I thought there might be some kind of cover on the adaptor plug, but I never thought to check for one on the bike itself.

Jerpinoy - my local dealer is Lynnwood Motoplex, but I'll give 'em a call if Roger's suggestion doesn't pan out.

Spyder Garage

I did the same thing but got so frustrated I finally took it to the dealer. Works good now.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Look at this video ................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5P4zxMm3GwE

Last edited by ThreeWheels; 04-24-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Okay - Roger: thanks, the dummy plug cover was the problem!

ThreeWheels: thanks for the video link, that tells me that I have the jacks hooked up correctly.

Now, next stupid question - am I supposed to be getting the audio through the speakers, or do I still need to use Bluetooth? If it's supposed to be coming through the speakers, I'm going to have to mess around some more and figure out whether it's not working, or I'm just not hearing it. I do have my iPod plugged in as well, if that may be causing the problem.

Thanks so much for the help, guys - between this and the awesome Enumclaw-Eatonville ride last weekend, I have definitely made the right choice in joining this forum!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check the volume setting on the zumo,could be muted.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

So, yeah . . . the GPS that wouldn't talk to me a couple days ago? Now talks to me. I have no idea what I did (not much), but everything seems to be working just as it ought to now. Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up My Zumo 550 audio goes through the speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Shel_TK View Post
    Okay - Roger: thanks, the dummy plug cover was the problem!

ThreeWheels: thanks for the video link, that tells me that I have the jacks hooked up correctly.

Now, next stupid question - am I supposed to be getting the audio through the speakers, or do I still need to use Bluetooth? If it's supposed to be coming through the speakers, I'm going to have to mess around some more and figure out whether it's not working, or I'm just not hearing it. I do have my iPod plugged in as well, if that may be causing the problem.

Thanks so much for the help, guys - between this and the awesome Enumclaw-Eatonville ride last weekend, I have definitely made the right choice in joining this forum!
    I used my old Zumo 550 from my previous bike to connect to my 2013 Spyder RT SE5. Because of all of the panels that have to come off, I let the dealer do it for $100.00. I purchased the GPS mount kit from CanAm, which included the mounting bracket and cable to connect the audio. The cable has the plug and two wires (for power) on one end and a stereo plug on the other. I provided an extension cable with the male and female stereo connectors. The female end connects to the Spyder audio connector and the male plugs into the mount for the Zumo. It works beautifully. When the radio is playing, the GPS interrupts with turn by turn instructions. Generally, I set the audio to AUX and all I hear is the GPS. It works for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Check the volume setting on the zumo,could be muted.
    This is a good place to start! also check the "mixer volume" setting on the Zumo too
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips