Thread: Spyder Issues

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Issues

Before the winter season I had my front tires rotated. Ever since then I have had a significant front wobble. I was originally told it was because it sat for a few weeks and the stuff put in the tires when they were put on the Spyder would settle in and then when it was driven after that it would need to even out in the tires. Well I had several back to back riding days and the problem did not get any better.

Another problem is that it has starting to stall out a lot. It will stall out at a stop light or even when it is in 2nd gear. The throttle body was replaced before the winter season also so I dont know if there is something in that repair.

It is still under warranty and I plan on calling them tomorrow. The problem is that I have a trip planned over the weekend and I dont want to miss it. It never fails that when I take it in for service, it seems to sit there for a week at least.

Thanks for help or suggestions.
    Sharon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderlady11 View Post
    Before the winter season I had my front tires rotated. Ever since then I have had a significant front wobble. I was originally told it was because it sat for a few weeks and the stuff put in the tires when they were put on the Spyder would settle in and then when it was driven after that it would need to even out in the tires. Well I had several back to back riding days and the problem did not get any better.

Another problem is that it has starting to stall out a lot. It will stall out at a stop light or even when it is in 2nd gear. The throttle body was replaced before the winter season also so I dont know if there is something in that repair.

It is still under warranty and I plan on calling them tomorrow. The problem is that I have a trip planned over the weekend and I dont want to miss it. It never fails that when I take it in for service, it seems to sit there for a week at least.

Sharon
    i can't help you with the tire problems. Is your Spyder a SE5 shift(paddle shift)? Others have had similar issues of stalling and running rough and not downshifting automatically. Vacuum hoses could be a problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MYSPYDERRT View Post
    i can't help you with the tire problems. Is your Spyder a SE5 shift(paddle shift)? Others have had similar issues of stalling and running rough and not downshifting automatically. Vacuum hoses could be a problem.
    No it is a standard

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Make sure that the rotation on the tires is correct after they rotated them. They are directional and have arrows on them. Other than that if they are worn badly rotating them might make it worse. There are three sets of wear bars on the tires. This is explained in the manual, use the manual as a reference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    Make sure that the rotation on the tires is correct after they rotated them. They are directional and have arrows on them. Other than that if they are worn badly rotating them might make it worse. There are three sets of wear bars on the tires. This is explained in the manual, use the manual as a reference.
    I agree. You can't just swap sides with directional tires. Really, if the alignment is right you should not need to rotate your tires. And rotating tires will not fix an alignment issue.

If they did remount the tires as they should have, they would also need to balance them again.

Let us know what the fix turns out to be.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

BajaRon
    Radial tires are always rotated front to back on the same side. Never crisscrossed like the old standard tires were. Dismounting them to remount for a left to right switch always leads to issues. These tires are directional and there is a valve location mark which tends to disappear with time. Balance will change dramatically...good luck..!!

Check vaccum hoses anyway..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderlady11 View Post

Sharon
    Sharon... Regarding your front tires.

I posted a thread recently on this same problem. I had the fronts dismounted from the wheels and remounted on the opposite sides (since they are directional) and had heavy front end wobble at 41-45 mph.

We tried to correct this but the opinion of most folks (mostly Scotty, the motorbike professor) is that once the radial tires wear into a pattern they will most always cause a problem if you change sides.

Today we mounted new front tires and the Spyder is solid as it used to be. The fronts had 12,500 miles on them so there was some life left, but I decided not to put them back the way they were.

My advice to anyone is DO NOT ROTATE THE FRONT TIRES! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Lady, where are you taking your Spyder in for Service? What Spyder model are you talking about? How many miles do you have on it?

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Sharon... Regarding your front tires.

I posted a thread recently on this same problem. I had the fronts dismounted from the wheels and remounted on the opposite sides (since they are directional) and had heavy front end wobble at 41-45 mph.

We tried to correct this but the opinion of most folks (mostly Scotty, the motorbike professor) is that once the radial tires wear into a pattern they will most always cause a problem if you change sides.

Today we mounted new front tires and the Spyder is solid as it used to be. The fronts had 12,500 miles on them so there was some life left, but I decided not to put them back the way they were.

My advice to anyone is DO NOT ROTATE THE FRONT TIRES! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Double Trouble is exactly right! Had my tires rotated at 6000 miles. Been wobbling ever since, even with a couple of rebalances! gave up and just had a pair of NEW tires mounted at 8800 miles. RT is as good as new now; so ignore the BRP advice to rotate tires, and just keep the pressures checked. As long as they do not bounce or wobble, leave them alone! GUZZI
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once you are bitten by we do thing unnecessarily.

Best Rule is like our
    members say and I agree is

If ain't broke don't fix it. We should adapt the railroad xing sign: Stop, Look, and Listen. Stop what we're about to do, Look and search post and Listen to our member suggestions.

Last edited by jerpinoy; 04-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Looks like they have your issue with the tires covered pretty good. Switching the tires seems to lead to problems. If you have a proper alignment, they should last well, in place, for the life of the tires. 23,000 miles out of my last set of fronts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default From the 2012 Spyder Manual.....

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post

Spyder Garage

Default If ain't broke don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Once you are bitten by we do thing unnecessarily.

Best Rule is like our
    members say and I agree is

If ain't broke don't fix it. We should adapt the railroad xing sign: Stop, Look, and Listen. Stop what we're about to do, Look and search post and Listen to our member suggestions.

While I agree with this concept (If ain't broke don't fix it.) and it applies (and appeals) to me, many of Spyderlovers here may want to think twice before they install any mods on their (very expensive) because there could (hypothetically) be a cause and effect issue between some of those mods and the problems they are having.
    Just sayin'
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

MT Kevin

I would have the lower, rear a-arm bushings checked, units that I have seen do this sometimes, the bushings have excessive play in them. The rough idling could very-well be the map sensor hoses.(small ones on throttlebody.) They tend to crack. Hope this helps.