Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Installing Pit Bull Shock Relocator

I installed the Pit Bull Shock Relocator kit this morning and I thought I'd share the experience in case anyone else is installing them. First thing I have to say is the machining is excellent on the parts. Just as some background on me I design and build automation equipment and own a CNC machine shop and fab shop so I know a tiny bit about making things.

This is one of the adapters with the supplied fasteners.

shock-01.jpg

Installation

1. Jack up the bike so the front wheels are off the ground.
    2. Remove the bolts that hold the shock on and remove the shock.
    3. Install the adapter and insert the M10 Hex Head Cap Screw but leave it loose.
    4. Left side only, partially insert the M10 SHCS into the inner hole where the original shock mount is to locate where to cut the air horn and using cutting pliers cut two notches one on either side of the screw.
    5. Using pliers bend down the tab on the air horn and install the screw and nut but do not tighten the nut all the way.
    6. Install the shock and insert the screws then tighten all the nuts.

shock-02.jpgshock-03.jpg

Edit: it helps to lower the bike till the front wheels just touch the ground to get the shock bolts out, then jack it back up and remove the shock.

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 04-20-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

When I looked at the adapters I notice the slot intersected the new shock mounting holes by a small amount.

shock-04.jpg

You can see in the photo where the yellow paper in the slot interferes with the new shock mount hole. This is why you can't tighten the Hex Head screw all the way up till you get the shock mounted as you won't be able to install the bolt. I would have moved the new shock hole down about 0.125" so the bolt didn't rub on the frame. There may be a reason for this and I don't know.

In any case there you go boys and girls...

Edit: I spoke to Len about the design and he said that was part of the design so the relocator would fit every bike from 2008 -2012.

Happy Riding
    JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 05-02-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks as if you're goiong to have to fill us all in on what you think of the change in the ride now!
    Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have to go and scope out if I can get out to the black top today without looking like I went mudding...

JT

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can't wait for this report.

Spyder Garage

Looks like the county has repaired the road yesterday sometime so I just cranked up the backhoe and need to fill some divots in my driveway from the recent rains and I'm off for a ride.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for that..!!

great info and installation instruction. Looking forward to the road report..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default NEW SHOCK MOUNT BRACKET

It appears to me (correct me if I am wrong) when you move the shock up to a higher standing position, you either lengthen the shock or it lowers the front of the if you mount the top of the shock in side the frame rail. With this New Style mount, the shock remains the same length and the front end stays at the same elevation. Since ground clearance is an issue, I am wondering if there is a way to raise the ground clearance by using little different style of upper shock block?

In reference to above yellow paper showing through the shock mount bolt hole. Could this bolt hole be relocated away from the frame and the block beefed up a little to maintain strength? I am sure there is a need for strength in this block when a wheel goes into a pot hole and drops down and extending the shock to it's maximum length.

I am sure there has been great thought and experiments in proto types to come up with what they have.

any thoughts??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    great info and installation instruction. Looking forward to the road report..!!
    I went to my friends house and we took turns riding each spyder (his is a stock 2010 RT) and the biggest thing I noticed after adding the LenShock Kit was the stability when in the turbulent zone near a truck going at highway speeds. The bike pretty much tracks well on the highway and in the curves I was able to kick in the nanny once and I was not uncomfortable with my turn so that says a lot about the setup.

When we got back to my friends house he got the information from me to order both the LenShock Kit and the BajaRon Sway Bar Kit.

I'm pretty sure my fuel mileage won't be very good when I tank up after that ride this morning!

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 04-20-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    It appears to me (correct me if I am wrong) when you move the shock up to a higher standing position, you either lengthen the shock or it lowers the front of the if you mount the top of the shock in side the frame rail. With this New Style mount, the shock remains the same length and the front end stays at the same elevation. Since ground clearance is an issue, I am wondering if there is a way to raise the ground clearance by using little different style of upper shock block?

In reference to above yellow paper showing through the shock mount bolt hole. Could this bolt hole be relocated away from the frame and the block beefed up a little to maintain strength? I am sure there is a need for strength in this block when a wheel goes into a pot hole and drops down and extending the shock to it's maximum length.

I am sure there has been great thought and experiments in proto types to come up with what they have.

any thoughts??
    Installing the LenShock Kit didn't seem to change the height by any measurable amount.

I'm sure the new shock mount hole could be moved and I don't think anything would need to be beefed up as the kit adds strength to the existing frame with its design.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks John!
    When I get "LenBracketed-up", we'll have to go see if we can wake up the local LEOs a little bit!

Spyder Garage

Hopefully the local LEO's will be an understanding lot...

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure we can't do anything that a couple of boxes of Krispy Kremes couldn't forgive...

Spyder Garage

Default Installing Pit Bull Shock Relocator

Ahem, are you making fun of us.

We are watching you Bob and John.

We will have your photo's posted at the post office and the donut shops.

Signed the LEO's
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Shock relocator

Can the kit be ordered now and would it help at all on a RSS with the Ron bar i have on it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Ahem, are you making fun of us.

We are watching you Bob and John.

We will have your photo's posted at the post office and the donut shops.

Signed the LEO's
    So long as your watching our tail lights it is ok... posting our photos in the donut shops won't help I don't eat them any more and I'm sure Bob doesn't eat them either.

I can't wait to see your pneumatic popl up bubble gum light unfold from your frunk at the push of a button.

See you at SpyderFest

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    So long as your watching our tail lights it is ok... posting our photos in the donut shops won't help I don't eat them any more and I'm sure Bob doesn't eat them either.

I can't wait to see your pneumatic popl up bubble gum light unfold from your frunk at the push of a button.

See you at SpyderFest

JT
    Posting your photos at the donut shop so the LEO's can see it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Back from a 160 mile trip and the spyder handled the winds very good. The most noticable difference is how it is not blown around by the turbulence from 18 wheelers... just steady speed when passing them and no hurry to pass them up and flush out a LEO or two.

JT

Spyder Garage

For those one when to spyderfest is any feed back about the Pitt Bull shock relocating kit?
    any comment for those one they have it install on there
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

Default Clearance problem ?

Has anyone else that installed the new shock relocator brackets noticed a clearance problem where the Elka Spring goes through the A-Arm panel?

On mine it looks like the change in shock angle has put the spring close enough to the panel to rub, depending on how the shock is rotated. See pics below, the arrow shows where it is rubbing and on mine that paper will not clear in the center.
    I'll be interested to hear if others have this problem. I am about to fix mine with a little Dremel work on the lip of the panel...

DSCN1538.jpg DSCN1534.jpg

Spyder Garage

What is the total spring length on the Elkas? Jon with Elka put mine on and recommended 9ish" for overall spring length. He set mine at 8 3/4". Mine clear the shroud but not by much. Also if you have the +R stage 1 Jon recommended 25 clicks from wide open unless the roads are rough then 22-23.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    Can the kit be ordered now and would it help at all on a RSS with the Ron bar i have on it?
    I installed mine before SpyderFest and would do it again.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    What is the total spring length on the Elkas? Jon with Elka put mine on and recommended 9ish" for overall spring length. He set mine at 8 3/4". Mine clear the shroud but not by much. ....JT
    The Elka adjustments dont have any effect on this clearance problem... it is solely related to the angle & position of the shock near the edge of the panel. Not really a big problem but it could wear on the A-arm panel after a while so I did some trimming and cleared it up on my RT. Only hitch was I had to remove both shocks to get room to do the trimming...

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

So what do the shock relocators cost? Not installed. Just the relocators.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    So what do the shock relocators cost? Not installed. Just the relocators.
    They were $189 IIRC at the SpyderFest... a quick call to Pitt Bull would give you a definitive answer.

JT