Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Well I finally gave up!

I have been reading this forum for over a year now ,and really really wanted to get into the spyder lifestyle. AFter 2 spyders and about $40000 I finally have to admit BRP has whipped me, and I sold my last spyder. I am so happy for all the good people on this website and their help to anyone with questions or problems, but I guess some of these come from the factory and just do not work. My first was a 2010 RT that was a true lemon. I only managed 2400miles in its first year and most of that was driving it up on a trailer to take to the dealer. Over 100 days in the shop and never got fixed. I hauled it to spyderfest but just had to watch everyone else have fun while mine stayed in its eternal limp mode. I finally decided it was no good and traded for a 2012 RSS. Of course my dealer ripped me good, because they didn't want a trade in that they could not keep running long enough to sell. The RSS worked better but still had error codes to the point that I just didn't trust it to go very far. My wife refused to get more than 5 miles from home. I am happy for you guys whose machine works but take it easy on the poor unlucky victims like me who spend large sums of money for just frustration. In my 60 years I have owned over 50 different motorcycles, cars, boats, personal watercraft, and trucks and these 2 machines were more trouble than all the other vehicles combined. I know how to ride a motorcycle and in owning 26 of them I was able to operate them without problems of any significance until I got the spyders. I understand all machines can break, but the spyders are the only machines I have encountered that do not seem fixable. Plus BRP seems to care nothing about their customers and even seem sorta belligerent when dealing with you. I was never anything but helpful and cordial with their customer service but they do not seem interested in helping anyone with a severe issue. To all prospective buyers I wish you luck and hope you happen to get a working machine, but if you are unlucky as I was get ready for the most expensive headache you have ever had.

Spyder Garage

So whatch buyin next................
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

it's been said before, but i'll say it again, the machine is as good as your dealer is. if you happened to be one of the unfortunate individuals in getting a spyder (let alone two) that weren't up to par, I've got to believe the dealer had a lot to do with your unhappiness! sorry it happened to ya! good luck with the next machines.

Spyder Garage

Just wondering if its the dealer just north east of OKC????? Just sayn I wouldn't let them work on my bicycle.Just my opinion.
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

X2... The dealership will make or break the whole deal. I can understand your frustration, and wish you the best of luck with whatever you get next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default really REALLY

really REALLY SORRY you've had all these issues..... so sad

i can't say i've had ANY ISSUES that weren't rectified IMMEDIATELY by my dealer; POWERSPORTS of GREENVILLE (SC)....

which ever way you decide to go, please understand that we here at SPYDERLOVERS are still wishing you well..... best of luck my friend....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    016.jpg

Spyder Garage

2010 Spyder RT-S LE #391. No problems. Spyder even plays when hurt (e.g. bad ASC service from Pete's Cycle in Baltimore); adjusted valves at 12K and didn't replace valve cover gasket. Got Spyder home and leaking oil. Had them put an Elka on the rear, and asked them to re-calibrate ASC. They couldn't get it right on BUDS and had three guys on the bike to compress. They didn't know to let all the air off the bag. Got Spyder back with 38 ... !!38!! pounds of pressure in the rear tire (ASC is supposed to be done at 28 psi). I now ride her 42 miles north up to Motosports Inc. of Hanover, PA.

Motosports Inc. is Class A shop, AND supporting this is that Ryan, the service manager, has 126 certification hours on BRP/Rotax. This was a note to self: Ask any service tech how many certification hours he/she has on Can Am/BRP/Rotax, and specifically, Spyders. If they tell you something like, "40," I'd start checking more references. Another indicator -- What else do they sell? For example, All Motosports Inc sells are Can Am/BRP, Polaris and a small Honda watercraft line. No other motorcycle line. I've never had a mid-road breakdown, knock on wood. After Motosports Inc. service, the Spyder is performing better than the day I first took ownership. One of the things they found was that the bottom retaining pin of the Elka was folded like a 'V'. Gee ... after the Pete's service, I'm not surprised.

I agree with the comments about your bike (whatever it is) being a slave to the quality of the dealer/service tech. If your dealer is a "w**rehouse and sells everything under the metric moon ... oh and by the way ... some Spyders, then don't count on much. They can make more money on the main fare of Yamahas, Suzuki, Honda and whatever else. They don't even want your service business. This is why Pete's raised their hourly rate on Spyders from $80/hr to $120/hr. Motosports provides exquisite service and takes the time to know you, AS WELL as the idiosyncrasies of your Spyder ... at $80.00 per hour. I'm not saying everyone should go to Hanover, PA for service; I am saying that Motosports Inc. is an exemplar of the type of dealer and service we all seek.

I regret Rus's experience because BRP/Rotax and Spyders are absolutely reliable when sold and serviced correctly, and as long as owner mods are installed correctly and don't interfere with Can Bus (big source of error codes nad limps).

Paul
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 04-18-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I, also am really sorry for your troubles. Not that it matters now, but did you consider a different dealer for the problems ? I have also had a few glitches with mine , however they were fixed A.S.A.P., NOT 100 DAYS, I would have COME UNGLUED. Other than that I am very happy with my ride 2008 GS SM5. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

Truly unfortunate. Wish you would have consulted this site a bit more, could have possibly steered you in the right direction. Not knowing all the problems hard to say. Haven't seen the roadster that could not be fixed outside of totaled...remember which ever way you go there are good folks here that can help...good luck in your next venture..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Always sad to see someone leave the group, but wish you well with whatever else you decide to ride in the future.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One lesson to learn from this is never buy a 2nd bike from a dealer than can't keep the 1st one running.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoford View Post
    One lesson to learn from this is never buy a 2nd bike from a dealer than can't keep the 1st one running.
    Exactly what I was thinking... Still, a very sad story...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

WE NEED TO RATE DEALERS
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You know sometimes the cheapest price isn’t always the best. It cost money to train the techs and buy the proper tools to maintain these Spyders. No shade tree mechanic can work on these bikes like some of the others. I have learned this by making the same mistakes.
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I can understand your frustration completely because I reached that point myself a couple of years ago at which point I sold everything I had with a BRP label on it. The dealers don't just ruin Spyders by the way. They are equally adept with watercraft and ATV. A watercraft or ATV usually is an intermittent use item though. A Spyder is an over the road vehicle and BRP has not figured out just how to deal with that yet. After trying other forms of fun transportation I am back on a Spyder. I bought a used one without a warranty just so I could avoid the dealers. And yes I do take it to a dealer on occasion-you pretty much have to at some point. But they are the weakest link in an otherwise well designed machine. IMHO there just isn't anything as much fun to drive as a Spyder. But there is nothing sadder than a broken toy.

Spyder Garage

with several of the above posters.

A bad dealer can make the experience go south quickly. The odds of getting two lemons in a row are possible, but IMO--extremely remote. The fact that the dealer selling the RT gave you the shaft on the trade in for the RSS, speaks volumes to me.

As posted by two other people--there seems to be a pattern of problems with dealer(s) X in OK.

Sorry you made the decision you did. I cannot fault you, because a that will not run properly, is no joy to own.

Don't know if you had options to try other dealers--but that would have been my recommendation.

Wishing you the best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to your bad situations. Seems like you are nice person. Please stay with our forum if you don't mine. We love to have nice people here. .
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default All I can say is WOW!

It kind of saddens me to read this post. I was really looking forward to getting my first Spyder. I have been riding bikes for about 20 yrs. now and still plan to keep the bikes but am very impressed with the technology on the Spyders. The ABS, traction control, stability control and everything else seems like the way to go.I also like the idea of three wheels and not having to worry about trying to pick-up an 800 lb. motorcycle by myself since that is how I do most of my riding(most harley riders that I know don't ride the miles that I like to ride). Now, not so sure. I know that there are god and bad examples of everything out there, so I am willing to give them a chance. Most people seem to think that thye are only as good as the local dealership and if that is the case then I am in trouble. Our local dealer doesn't seem to be interested in doing anything with them. If you don't walk in ready to buy, he doesn't have time for you. I have heard a Mississippi dealer that is pretty good but they are 3 hrs. away. I have also heard about a dealer in Greenville, Texas, which is further away but I don't mind traveling (that is what the bikes are for isn't it). I am not ready to give up on Spyders yet, so I will keep looking for an RT. I will also keep watching the forum for any help I can get.

Spyder Garage

Default really again

I totally agree with you BRP has a lot of Issues with such a crappy product they sell and the price don't warrant all these Issues listed on the site its all because as I said before no service after the sale is their motto just the sale is important to them take the money and run to the bank now a few people are happy like the one,s that get a free bike every once in a while but most of us that got problem s with the bike seems never to get it fixed and you hit the nail right on the head they don't CARE but the ones that well a few that don't have a problem with theirs just don't understand the frustrations of it all and write ya back like ya a dummy for complaining but open your eyes and look how many people write and have problems I like rideing my bike but when you have Body parts falling off and other crap you cant even go for a long ride and wonder if you can get back like spyderfest how many will break down ? I,am looking to trade mine in soon Maybe to get a better one so glad your out of the spyder ownership maybe if a lot more did that they would smarten up but don't see that happening good luck with your new Bike what ever you get thanks Rich

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BBBANDIT View Post
    It kind of saddens me to read this post. I was really looking forward to getting my first Spyder. I have been riding bikes for about 20 yrs. now and still plan to keep the bikes but am very impressed with the technology on the Spyders. The ABS, traction control, stability control and everything else seems like the way to go.I also like the idea of three wheels and not having to worry about trying to pick-up an 800 lb. motorcycle by myself since that is how I do most of my riding(most harley riders that I know don't ride the miles that I like to ride). Now, not so sure. I know that there are god and bad examples of everything out there, so I am willing to give them a chance. Most people seem to think that thye are only as good as the local dealership and if that is the case then I am in trouble. Our local dealer doesn't seem to be interested in doing anything with them. If you don't walk in ready to buy, he doesn't have time for you. I have heard a Mississippi dealer that is pretty good but they are 3 hrs. away. I have also heard about a dealer in Greenville, Texas, which is further away but I don't mind traveling (that is what the bikes are for isn't it). I am not ready to give up on Spyders yet, so I will keep looking for an RT. I will also keep watching the forum for any help I can get.

First let me introduce Rich, aka Spyderpoop. In case you haven’t noticed, he's our 'Cheif Happiness Officer'. Can you tell?

BBB, finding the closest and best dealer to set your spyder up, as well as, turn to should (infuses on should) you have a problem that requires dealer involvement, are both very important things to consider. Beyond that, only you know whether you really want one or not and it sounds like you do. I'd say it's time to find that dealer. You have no idea what you're missing and it's very likely you'll be asking yourself why you waited so long to commit.

And no, no one gave me my spyder or paid me to write this.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BBBANDIT...Loius Powersports in Greenville, TX are great...they are properly trained to build and service the and the customer service is top notch.

We first test drove at another dealer and that experience was awful, handled terrible, walked all over the road, overheated on the test drive, etc. etc. etc....made me wonder if we really wanted a ...we waited a full year before we purchased and when we did, we went to Greenville. It was like comparing Godiva chocolate to Cow poop! So glad we waited and followed some advice from here on spyderlovers.

Good luck.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Shreveport Dealer

Check out the dealer in Shreveport - sells RV's - but has a large Spyder sales/service as well. Maybe someone else in the Shreveport area can offer plus/minus about the dealer. Also a fast ride across the border to Conroe, TX will place you at a top notch dealer/service. (my brother purchased his 2012 Limited Ed RT there and is VERY pleased with sales/service - and other Houston area Spyder owners drive the distance to have their bikes serviced here as well)

Just some thoughts

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    I totally agree with you BRP has a lot of Issues with such a crappy product they sell and the price don't warrant all these Issues listed on the site its all because as I said before no service after the sale is their motto just the sale is important to them take the money and run to the bank now a few people are happy like the one,s that get a free bike every once in a while but most of us that got problem s with the bike seems never to get it fixed and you hit the nail right on the head they don't CARE but the ones that well a few that don't have a problem with theirs just don't understand the frustrations of it all and write ya back like ya a dummy for complaining but open your eyes and look how many people write and have problems I like rideing my bike but when you have Body parts falling off and other crap you cant even go for a long ride and wonder if you can get back like spyderfest how many will break down ? I,am looking to trade mine in soon Maybe to get a better one so glad your out of the spyder ownership maybe if a lot more did that they would smarten up but don't see that happening good luck with your new Bike what ever you get thanks Rich
    I did not get either of my Spyders for free, and I have had some issues, but you know what, they were actually taken care of under the warranty. When I had issues with my front sprocket I had to call BRP customer service and they were very friendly and helpful. Perhaps it is because when I called I did not have a bad attitude and was not brow beating the machine, dealership, or the parent company. I am not sure exactly what your experience has been, but I have had my Spyder since the early days of all the DPS issues. It took a while, but BRP finally got that situation sorted out, like they will most others they know about. As others have stated, if you do not have a good reliable dealership to go to then you are likely going to be in for more problems just like with any other vehicle. I have to drive well over 1.5 hours one way to reach any dealer for service and also have a couple I will not go to.

BBBandit, don't let a few negative reports like this totally control your decision. If there is any way possible, you should try to make it to SpyderFest where you would see a mess of Spyders happily running around without any major issues.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Like the others said, the dealer isn't part of the solution, they are really the only solution, and a bad dealer can ruin a good bike. You must be a much nicer person than I am, because after day 5 of not having my bike I would have been down their throats! I am a lawyer, I tend to be rather outspoken, and I write a mean complaint letter, usually complete with threats of litigation and government intervention, where necessary. Not very often mind you, and never have had to do that with my Spyder dealer. I had three bmw's and on the third one, lemon. I bought it used from my cousin or I would have received a refund, but as it was, threat of a class action for a known defect was very persuasive argument for out of warranty repairs. I fixed it, sold it, and swore off the brand for practicality sake. I could have gone to the next closest dealer, 150 miles in each direction. No thanks! But sometimes that is what you have to do! Good luck on your next bike. Try a Victory!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Can-Am Spyder RT 2011 Limited with Ultimate Seat, Lamonster Highway Pegs and Bracket, Garmin 650, Trailer Hitch and Diamondplated Trailer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    Dude...punctuation!
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC