Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Which handles better, Spyder or bike?

So I was watching a discussion at another site on the Elio reverse trike car thingy. Somehow the discussion moved towards the Spyder, with one guy stating he wouldn't be caught dead on a Spyder. The only reason he would consider one is when he got too old to hold up 2 wheels. No way he would give up the better handling of a bike. That led me to chip in, as I personally know a guy that rides his Spyder with a group of Harley riders. If the guy is really pushing it, no one can keep up with him in the twisties. Well, the commenter called BS on this, even though he has never even ridden a Spyder. Another guy replied that he could see that, given the much larger contact patch of the Spyder tires. So all this leads to my simple question, which can take a turn faster?
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Talking

Does it really matter. I've found that those who are not open to reality wouldn't accept it if it was proven to them up front and personal. Let the guy rant. Cause folks like that will never listen to a word you say, anyway.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Depends on what HD you are talking about. I ride with some guys on FLHX and I can bust them through the turns. There is also a guy that rides a StreetRod (VRSCR) and he can get out ahead of me when he really pushes it. That is me on my RT, stock at the time.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

your comparing apples and oranges. I ride both my gf's rt-s and my two wheel v-star while they both have different handling they both react differently.
    if you are comfortable with the spyder you can push it hard the same as two wheels.
    i know i had an incident where we were together on the spyder and a person stopped dead ifo us with no warning i was able to swerve around the car going on to the dirt shoulder and yanking the spyder back onto the road with out any issues, other then wanting to beat that person and taking a few years of life from me, i do know that if i had been faced with the same incident on two wheels it probally would not have ended well.

again apples and oranges, but the spyder with wider tires and more contact with road give alot traction even in rain.

chezeburger

hoped this helps and didn't confuse you.
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

Spyder Garage

2400 bps back in the BB days, when downloading a 1 MB file took all day.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Does it really matter. I've found that those who are not open to reality wouldn't accept it if it was proven to them up front and personal. Let the guy rant. Cause folks like that will never listen to a word you say, anyway.

Completely !!!
    When I switched from Harley's to a Goldwing I heard all sorts of rants. And in every case it was from people with far less riding experience than me. Now that I've switched from two wheels to a Spyder, the uninformed, ignorant, ranting opinions of these people is even worse.

Just as Jerbear said, I learned a long time ago that trying to explain, or even have a reasonably intelligent discussion on the issues, was a futile exercise on my part. The only real choice you have, is to just let them rant and of course compliment them for their vast experience, knowledge, and expertise. ( sarcastically as you can with a smile on your face of course)
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze w/ Tan Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

With the apple oranges thing. Since we got our RS, One of the main questions asked is how does it handle.? Is it better than a two wheeler.? Now I equate ryding a roadster to driving a formula 1 race car while on horseback. While riding a two wheeler to riding a motorized horse. The hard core biker will not give in to any explanation or even listen to what your saying. And I for one would never let them try my roadster for fear they would do themselves harm... That said I'll crawl on outta here..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoJive View Post
    So I was watching a discussion at another site on the Elio reverse trike car thingy. Somehow the discussion moved towards the Spyder, with one guy stating he wouldn't be caught dead on a Spyder. The only reason he would consider one is when he got too old to hold up 2 wheels. No way he would give up the better handling of a bike. That led me to chip in, as I personally know a guy that rides his Spyder with a group of Harley riders. If the guy is really pushing it, no one can keep up with him in the twisties. Well, the commenter called BS on this, even though he has never even ridden a Spyder. Another guy replied that he could see that, given the much larger contact patch of the Spyder tires. So all this leads to my simple question, which can take a turn faster?
    downhill bad camber wet or gravel spyder all the way very good rider on a sportbike spyder can't keep up
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Which handles better, Spyder or bike?

Would agree with 1100 provided its a sportbike as he mentioned. I'd add all the two wheelers I ride with are cruiser/bagger types that arent super proficient either. We are generally about equal on our rides, twisties and straights alike. I enjoy the rides. Some of these guys talk a mean game, but in reality, they are weekend warriors who like to dress up like pirates on Sat. Afternoon. Thus far, Spyder riders seem like a more humble bunch of spirited/all weather riders to me, but thats just my opinion.

Lastly, Ive never had a problem keeping up, in fact... Ive been asked where the fire is. You have to love that Rotax torque
    Last edited by Tierhog; 04-17-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I've been participating in forums, bulletin boards and chat rooms since 1987 and am shocked by your assertion that someone's opinion while ranting could not be changed by reasoned and well formed logical arguments .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........
    Roger, it's 6:30 A.M., here in Sanford, and again, thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Wow, didn't expect this many replies!

I realize you cannot talk to some people. I've been on different forums since the early '90s when all I had was my local ACE's BBS. I was just more curious myself. Like everyone else here, people always ask how it handles the curves. I was talking to a guy yesterday that was on a Star something or other (1900cc!!), and while looking over my Spyder, his first comment was "I heard they were very tricky in the turns".
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that everybody is nicely awake and alert... It sure looks as if the weather for the trip to Missouri is looking better...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoJive View Post
    ...That led me to chip in, as I personally know a guy that rides his Spyder with a group of Harley riders. If the guy is really pushing it, no one can keep up with him in the twisties. Well, the commenter called BS on this, even though he has never even ridden a Spyder. Another guy replied that he could see that, given the much larger contact patch of the Spyder tires. So all this leads to my simple question, which can take a turn faster?
    Let's face it. A big motive of involvement in any forum is a concept called 'confirmation bias', meaning that we are looking for confirmation that our choice was best. It's a group of like-minded people who choose to argue over the better farkle, not the better bike. Let someone who is not a part of that group offer up logical input, inconsistent with the other's way of thinking and there will be pushback, or a call of BS.

Harley riders (and I am one), for the most part have had a big swig of the Kool Aid, and will choose poorer performance for the buck, then argue to their death why we are wrong for our choices, not why they are right for theirs.

Let's be happy with our choice, hope that others are happy with theirs, and that we all ride safely.

Spyder Garage

Unless you own and ride both vehicles in question your opinion is just that and nothing more. I ignore all opinions from the fence sitters... like my momma said "never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

JT

Spyder Garage

In response to the handling question, I just say SMOOTH!...then proceed to tell them about a 55mph reccomended speed corner on a hwy interchange that I have taken at 90 with stock 09 RS shocks (never tried it at full speed with my Elkas). Lol. That right there makes them go on to the next question.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    .......... I enjoy the rides. Some of these guys talk a mean game, but in reality, they are weekend warriors who like to dress up like pirates on Sat. Afternoon.............
    Hahaha......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    "never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

JT
    That is a good one! And true!
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

When someone asks how my Spyder handles, I just say "I like it!" When someone asks how my BMW handles, I say the same thing. My old Triumph...ditto. Heck, I'm even happy with my F-150. It isn't a race, a contest, an advertisement, or a justification. Every ride has its own place in the sun, and a Spyder, a two-wheeler, a sidecar, or even an MGA can't be directly compared except in one place at one time. Better to spend our time riding than debating the relative merits of our rides.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now that everybody is nicely awake and alert... It sure looks as if the weather for the trip to Missouri is looking better...
    But have you seen what "accuweather" is forecasting for Wednesday and Thursday temperature wise?

Chris

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I think some are confusing handling with safety, 3 wheels are hands down safer.
    But any vehicle, if you tend to drive it to it's limit, One day you might/will make it in the morning papers.

Spyder Garage

Default Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Hahaha......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Arrrrrg! Did someone say Pirates? I dress like a Pirate everyday.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would depend upon what model of Harley and the skill of the rider. I ride both motorcycles and my Spyder. I found that when my GS SE5 was stock, I would be quicker in the twisties on a bike, due to the Spyder wallowing. After adding aftermarket shocks and swaybar, I am quicker on the Spyder. Others may vary, of course. I would say, if you insist on choosing off the local bikers in the twisties, talk to Elka and Bajaron.

Spyder Garage

I do not have a spider yet,but as I close in on 69 I am beginning to think of 3 wheels. Right now I ride a Honda DN-01. When I first got it I got all kinds of comments about it not being a real bike, besides being ugly etc,etc. After discussing issues with other riders. I finally decided on a simple response.

"I love the bike and that is all that matters"

kept the discussions short.

When I eventually get an RT I will say the same thing
    David Kenney

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

every one has an opinion on everything. The real trick is to make them think yours is the better one without turning it into a shouting match. Once it turns into a shouting match it becomes impossible to tell which one is the missing village idiot!

At the end of the day who really gives a big hoot?
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 04-17-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Missing words brain speed better then fingers

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    It would depend upon what model of Harley and the skill of the rider. I ride both motorcycles and my Spyder. I found that when my GS SE5 was stock, I would be quicker in the twisties on a bike, due to the Spyder wallowing. After adding aftermarket shocks and swaybar, I am quicker on the Spyder. Others may vary, of course. I would say, if you insist on choosing off the local bikers in the twisties, talk to Elka and Bajaron.

Put a broomstick in the hands of a pro and they'll beat you at a game of pool almost every time.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.