Thread: Tires

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Was about to order a car tire for my RT, thought I'd call the dealer and see if they would mount it for me. They told me that Can Am would not allow them to mount anything other than OEM tires. Anyone else been told that?

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

nope.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

No, my dealer mounted a Michelin on the rear for me. I took the fronts to NTB when I put new tires on them.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Yep and Nope. My closest dealer will not mount anything other than an OEM. The other location--run by the son, did mount one for Yazz when she was here visiting AK.

Bottom Line: where there is a will, there is a way.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My new dealer said the same thing... BUT (quoting the General and Service Manager), they would have no objection to send me (if I wanted to) to a tire place that would install the tire on the wheel.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default Auto tire

My dealer put a Kuhmo on my spyder last summer. They thought about it for a while and said sure. Good luck with yours. Tom
    MY MODS
    Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard
    Corbin seat w/driver backrest and passenger arm rests
    CD brightsides & mud flaps w/tips, HMT running and brake light
    Kuhmo Ecsta rear tire -- Ride-on in rear tire -- Tomcat mud flap
    CD black shortee antenna -- Elka level 1+R front suspension
    BajaRon's sway bar -- BRP's adjustable wind deflectors
    Kuryakyn 3789 widow speaker grills -- Blue closed web Web-boards
    Behind the mirror LED turn signals

Spyder Garage

i prefer to take a new tire to a tire shop and i remove all my weights from the rim, and tell the tire shop i want them to mount the tire with the red dot aligning with the valve stem, then inflate the tire to 16.5 lbs, replace the valve stem cover and then spin balance my tire. The shop mgr. said apparently you have done this before and know what you are talking about.

charged me 18.00 to mount and balance two front tires. they said they can't balance the rear tire, it has to go to a M/C shop.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is one of those deals that depends on just how close the dealer wants to stand to BRP... Some will ; some won't .
    But it sure never hurts to ask!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Options..!!

your other option is to go to a motorcycle shop. Many of them have no problem mounting your tires and have all the right equipment..!! Good luck with your choice...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sam's Club mounted mine. Had to take it to a motorcylce shop to get it balanced. It wouldn't fit on Sam's machine and they didn't have a bubble balancer.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default SMOKE

YOUR DEALER IS BLOWING SMOKE.....
    i just had my 2nd 'car' tire mounted at my CAN AM dealer... NO ISSUES whatsoever.....
    KUMHO AST 225/50R-15
    015.jpg

Spyder Garage

If you put a non OEM tire on your Spyder and it is in warranty, they may not honor the warranty if there is any possibility that the problem is computer/tire related. My dealer will not mount a car tire just for that reason. Apparently, BRP says "no".

Spyder Garage

When I needed to replace the rear tire on my Spyder I went to the dealer and asked about installing a non-OEM tire. They agreed to mount the tire I wanted if I brought it to them, but I had to sign a waiver stating they were not responsible for anything that might happen because of it. The funny thing is it turns out they could not balance it themselves, nor could the tire shop they took it to. I had to be careful on the ryde home and ordered Ride-On as soon as possible. I didn't have any issues, but guarantee I will have the Ride-On with me the next time I have a tire replaced.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer in Michigan had no problem as long as it was the same size as the OEM
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDon View Post
    Was about to order a car tire for my RT, thought I'd call the dealer and see if they would mount it for me. They told me that Can Am would not allow them to mount anything other than OEM tires. Anyone else been told that?
    Don,

"Our" dealer in Chesapeake is installing a car tire on my RT, Thursday this week. Spoke with David twice about it and specifically asked about installing a non-OEM tire...even had the car tire shipped to his dealership.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Default My dealer did

My dealer in Miami put a car tire on my RTS.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pit Bull won't sell a non BRP tire, but will mount them. Getting my rear done during Spyderfest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    Don,

"Our" dealer in Chesapeake is installing a car tire on my RT, Thursday this week. Spoke with David twice about it and specifically asked about installing a non-OEM tire...even had the car tire shipped to his dealership.
    I may have to get back with David, it's been a long time. CCC has been good to me and I hate to change dealerships but sometimes you've got to do what you got to do... What tire did/plan to install?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I may have to get back with David, it's been a long time. CCC has been good to me and I hate to change dealerships but sometimes you've got to do what you got to do... What tire did/plan to install?
    Thought you used AllOut for your mx. I'm going with a Nitto, NT450, 205/55-R15. I think it is a good looking tire and will wear a lot better than the OEM tire. I've got almost 11,500 miles on my rear OEM tire and probably have at least 500 miles or more tread left but didn't want to chance it on the 1000 mile ryde to Spyderfest.

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt450
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 04-16-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I was told the same thing. I think it has to with the rims. I don't think they can with stand the 32 pds pressure. But with proper inflation your spyder tires should last a long time. I run between 19 and 20 psi. Have not had any problems. Over 20000 miles