Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Can Am 25" Vented Wnd Screen - Nice!

Well, many are going lower and wider; I went lower and narrower. I just purchased and installed the new Can Am 25" vented wind screen for 2013 and prior Spyder RT series. I have a 2010 RT-S. Before I begin, the stock windscreen is almost as tall as it is wide, 27 inches.

The vented 25" windscreen is a "Sport Touring" windscreen. It is actually just under 3 inches narrower than the stock RT wind screen, and about 2 inches shorter.

Result: I was concerned at first, however, what I've learned is that the smaller form-factor windscreen (even without using the built in vent) illiminates almost 100% of any buffeting, at speeds I've tested up to 72 mph. What's more, this past Thursday, I rode home in about 30 mph winds as a storm was blowing in from the west (I was dry, cool and blown, but not wet). I could feel wind against the faring and lower parts of the Spyder, but NONE on the upper parts, i.e. the wind screen, which in stock configuration acts like a sail. Lesser wind dam should mean a bit better mpg, too.

At speed with calm/no winds, there is a nice, gentle, constant flow of air around the Spyder and even breeze by my helmet, but none of the "fluffa-flub-fluffa fluffa" buffeting feeling as with the stock windscreen, even at lowest setting. The other thing I've discovered is the actual function of the upper wind deflectors (the fixed ones that sit direcly behind the windscreen on right and left). The stock screen covered them up. With the new 25" sport touring screen, the upper deflectors are now supplementing the design and directing air up and away from me, even with the smaller screen. The black/chrome vent looks great on the 2010 (Timeless Black), along with other chrome accents I've picked up, like Show Chrome's fender accents that seat above the fender tip lights. The new windscreen, being smaller, gives the Spyder a very neat raked look in front. This is going to be phenomenal when this summer gets hot.

Here's a link: http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...ndshield_25%22

I'm quite pleased.

~ Surfer

Spyder Garage

I noticed what a difference it made lowering the stock 2012 RT windshield down on a 200 mile trip Friday with winds so bad if you didn't have your helmet strapped on it would have just took it off of your head.

I guess I'm going to have to get the vented windshield...

John

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Can Am 25" Vented Wnd Screen - Nice!

How tall are you ? Are you riding on the stock seat ?

I wonder if tfaller/shorter riders can have a different experience.

Do you ride solo ?

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Default Re: How Tall ...

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    How tall are you ? Are you riding on the stock seat ?

I wonder if tfaller/shorter riders can have a different experience.

Do you ride solo ?

...Ben...
    Ben, I'm 5'8". I'm riding a Corbin RT seat with an Airhawk seat pad. I'm solo most of the time, but last week, I took the wife of a friend, while he had his daughter as passenger. My stock windscreen was at its lowest setting, so it really wouldn't have made a difference to her. I should also add that I wear a Scorpio EXO-100 half helmet with a flip-down visor. Up to about 50 I keep the visor up. Beyond that, I flip the visor down.

Paul

Spyder Garage

Hey Paul thanks for the info on the new shield. I was waiting for a review to see what people would say about it and since we are the same height I expect the same reaction. I also like the way the screen looks on the rt. I will have to order one in, still not out riding here because winter came back this weekend so more mods on the list. Im not really a chrome fan but I guess I can get a painter to paint it to match my powder coating im getting done.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Paul, I also made the switch to the 2013 vented shield; my experience mirrors yours!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the new vented windshield on my 2013 RT and love it. The vent lets in a lot of air to help cool me off. I also added the adjustable hand wings and really glad I did as I can position them to let air in or to keep the air out.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Spyder Garage

How difficult was it to install ?

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default DITTO

I am 6'-5" with a 2010 RT-S. Purchased the same 2013 vented windshield for my Spyder. Easy to install, same bolt pattern. Works great even at my height. Raise it on highway and wind is above my head with the vent closed. Vent open provides a nice flow to face area.

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Install

Mine was easy to install, the dealer had my bike for the winter, I lifted up the phone, told him to order and install, picked it up this past Monday, nice looking windscreen also got the chrome lower adjustable wind deflectors, the are really nice!

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

Looks like yet another mod to order.

Spyder Garage

13318[1].jpg

Mine doesn't look nearly as nice, but only cost about $40 and 1/2 hour of work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    How difficult was it to install ?
    Very! From behind the windshield, you can see the screws that hold those plastic trim pieces on; one on each side...
    remove them, and slide the trim pieces down and off the shield. Now you can get at the two fasteners on each side that hold the shield in place. Pop them out, and slap the new shield in place!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Great..!!

sounds like this mod has worked out amazingly for you..congrats and enjoy..that's what mods are all about..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black