Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Any thoughts on the recently announced TomTom Rider 5 Motorcycle GPS?

TomTom discontinued the TomTom Rider 2 (but you can still obtain map updates) last year. For a while, I thought they had abandoned the motorcycle market. In February 2013, TomTom announced the TomTom Rider (without any further designation, that I can tell). The British website has more information about this newly announced GPS then the U.S. website, but I have purloined some information together. When you read the manual, there is a reference (barely) in the manual calling this the TomTom Rider 5. When you check out the European websites, it appears that a number of variations of TomTom motorcycle GPS units were offered in Europe and while the last version here in the USA was TomTom Rider 2, it appears when you count all the versions available in Europe, the number 5 seems right (in order to keep things in order, I guess).

What is the general opinion of TomTom products, etc.? Just curious. I did not opt for the factory GPS when I purchased my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5.

Spyder Garage

I like the looks of it. I just have to find out how to attach it, and how much it costs.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I had a couple of Tom Tom's and do not much care for there routing algorithms. For a while i ran a Garmin and Tom Tom side by side in the car and the routes where so different. On one fun occasion the Tom Tom tried to route us through some off road trail.

They have some neat fun stuff like celebrity voices but I've ended up preferring Garmin units. Just my humble opinion.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I like the looks of it. I just have to find out how to attach it, and how much it costs.
    I already have the TomTom Rider 2 which I have listed for sale on Craigslist and here. It looks like the TomTom Rider 5 shares the existing hardware that I used to mount my TomTom Rider 2.

$399 I believe, but hard to find anything about it so far in USA.

CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW I MOUNTED MY TOMTOM RIDER 2.

Last edited by Knarfoh; 04-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    I had a couple of Tom Tom's and do not much care for there routing algorithms. For a while i ran a Garmin and Tom Tom side by side in the car and the routes where so different. On one fun occasion the Tom Tom tried to route us through some off road trail.

They have some neat fun stuff like celebrity voices but I've ended up preferring Garmin units. Just my humble opinion.

harry
    I have had both also and understand what you are saying. There was a divided highway near my home that you could turn left or right off of to head into the Village where I live. The divided highway was so busy, they decided to eliminate the right/left turn and completely fill in the crossing. It had to be 2 years before TomTom maps caught up with the change. Since I often headed that way when I traveled, the TomTom always took me in that direction even though the crossing no longer existed. It was annoying. I submitted the change several times myself but still no correction on their mapping program.

One reason I want to buy this one is because of the lifetime maps. Those get expensive when you subscribe annually. I went to updating my maps on my Rider 2 every year or so which is not the best solution.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm not familiar with the TomTom Rider series but I started using their GPSs (what is the plural of GPS?) a few years ago with the XXL line. I had the lifetime maps but saw their Via 1505 with traffic and lifetime maps on sale on Amazon and I had to upgrade! The VIA is faster processing and has a great traffic finder as well as traffic and redlight camera warnings but the screen isn't as vivid and is more prone to glare. I've had it about a year and a half now and still like it.

Because I don't listen to the GPS on the spyder (I just use it as a reminder/guide on long trips) I've started using my old TomTomXXL with the GIVI S850: http://compare.ebay.com/like/3606181...Types&var=sbar

As a side note, nice things about the GIVI case:

Waterproof
    Removeable
    Zipper case for extra stuff including toll money/phone/ etc
    Touch screens still work so you could use your phone nav if the GPS battery dies
    has a zipper at the bottom so that you CAN charge your phone/GPS while driving (how? like this: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B0041CDPQO)

So, you could have a charging GPS mounted and ready to go with no drilling for less than $200. SWEET!

*Note I think you should ALWAYS know where you're going but I love the GPS as a back up/reminder especially when something happens and you need or want to get off the main road.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've only had one TomTom, and I have to admit I hated it so much I kept it turned off most of the time. On paper they look great, but reality is very different.

1. The maps were ok at best. I lived at the end of a dead end street, but the TomTom showed my street continuing through the woods, hanging a sharp left, and connecting to a parallel street. There wasn't even a trail there.

2. The ETAs were horribly wrong (a trip I used to make a lot would start out telling me 4.5 hours to my destination which was less than 2 hours away)

3. The POIs were useless.

4. I took it on a trip to Puerto Rico and it constantly tried to guide me to to locations in Miami.

That thing cost around $550 and died very soon out of warranty. And I was glad. I replaced it with a $99 Garmin and was much happier.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

FWIW - I have tried many different brands of GPS over the years. The ones that seemed to have lifetime anything (traffic or maps) as a general part of their entire GPS line seemed to also have the most quirks (slow processors, navigation through the menus, routing, limited POI's, etc.) and were usually lower prices. You get what you pay for.

The ones I liked least were the Navigon units (since sucked up by Garmin), with Tom Tom being a second least favorite. Navigon POI's were so bad you could not even find a Walmart in the POI list. Garmin seems to have the best for my liking. Aviation and boating goes to Lowrance
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

I think I have owned at least 10 Garmins (hand them down to my boys when I upgrade) and I have been happy with all of them. Have had a couple of problems but Garmin fixed them under warranty. It would be hard to convert me.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm way too cheap to ever buy one of those expensive GPS units. When I can still buy a map for a couple bucks I hesitate to buy a GPS for hundreds. My TomTom XXL 550M was $99. My TomTom Via 1505 TM was $120.

• Routing has been good, I do keep it updated. (There are two different updates, TomTom's map updates and the MapShare updates. MapShare is fairly new, it's the more "real time" updates from user submitted corrections as opposed to the TomTom updates which are sent out at specific intervals.)
    • Time to destination is great! This is one of my favorite features and it's been extremely accurate for me.
    • Traffic has been okay, this model has the cheaper radio traffic (not satellite) so, it's not AS accurate.
    • POIs are rarely used by me. When I use them they work but I typically just use the address I want. If I don't know the address I use my phone to find the address, it's typically more up-to-date than the TOMTOM database.
    • The "avoid" feature is great. A couple times I've hit heavy traffic on a highway and the TomTom either didn't receive the reports (radio reports aren't exactly real time). Or it determined that even with traffic this was the fastest route. But, I hate being stuck in traffic so I use the "avoid" feature and enter a road to avoid and it reroutes you around it.

I do have some limited experience with Garmins and I wasn't impressed here or in the UK. The first day in Ireland the GPS seemed to be taking us everywhere but out location and once I fixed all of the settings we were okay but it still had trouble locating final destinations. I do have a map of Ireland, now. And, a friend's Garmin failed to do much of anything while we were in South Carolina last January.

I do really like the FREE waze app on my smartphone and for the most part it's pretty darn accurate. It's a social GPS service so users provide input including realtime hazards on the road like stopped vehicles, construction, pot holes, animals, debris, severe weather, road closures, speed traps, traffic cameras, and real time updates submitted by and fixed by users.

*Note - just before I bought the TOMTOM Via 1505 TM I tried the TOMTOM XXL 540TM because I wanted the traffic. I bought 2, one for myself and one as a gift. Both were defective. One green screened the other had a blown pixel. Replacements came right away one green screened one had a non-responsive touch screen. I gave up on the XXL 540 at that point and ordered the slightly more expensive, new Via 1505 TM. After a little over a year and at least once weekly uses I'm very happy with it. The time to connect to a satellite is a little longer than I'd like, about 30 seconds to a minute and you MUST be outside.

So, it seems like any GPS has it's issues and you need to find what works best for you. Because I don't rely on a GPS the TomTom and waze services suit my needs without breaking the bank. (I also like the huge screens.)
    Last edited by Phyxius; 04-13-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

If you have any trouble with your TomTom I can fix it for you. I fixed my iway myself.

Spyder Garage

Cool How do you really feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    If you have any trouble with your TomTom I can fix it for you. I fixed my iway myself.

That was awesome! lol!!!! The funny thing is you were talking in your normal voice with no anger or frustration to be detected so I am thinking, "why has he had so many?" or "maybe he is a distributor for this company?". Then the tell me how you really feel moment happend, SMASH!!! Goes to show, a person can yell "I WILL KILL YOU!!!" or say it very softly but the only thing that matters from a statement or person at anytime is the intent.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I made the jump.. order my TomTom Rider 2013 or TomTom Rider 5

I was trying to sell my old TomTom Rider 2 in anticipation of the TomTom Rider 2013. Also called the TomTom Rider 4 or 5 depending on who's blog you are reading. By accident, I found out about Amazon's Trade-in program.

You receive payment in the form of an Amazon Gift card.

I had the original box; CD; hardware; owner's manual; etc. Obviously, the TomTom Rider 2 worked. Amazon offered me $356. You then send them the item. They even allow you to print out an UPS shipping label, so all you have to do is pack it properly and make sure you include everything. They pay for EVERYTHING!

I live in Ohio and I shipped to a location across from Cincinnati. It took overnight to arrive at Amazon's location in Hebron, Kentucky. Within 2 days, they inspected and issued a gift card which I can access when I make Amazon purchases.

This is a GREAT deal. The new TomTom Rider 2013 will cost $389 on Amazon. This is WITHOUT any headset or car docking system. But it does come with LIFETIME maps.

One update with new maps and what I received for my old TomTom Rider 2 and I will have paid for my new TomTom Rider 2013. Plus, in the future, all map updates will be free. I have to believe with the TomTom Rider 2013 is released, the price for the old TomTom Rider 2 will tumble.

You find the owner's manual for the new TomTom Rider 2013 by clicking HERE

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ordered on 4/12... Notified I should receive on June 3rd

USA manual can be viewed HERE

Recommend headsets can be viewed HERE

P.S. I ALTERED THE ACTUAL ORDER NUMBER USING PHOTOSHOP
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 04-18-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

And my wife thinks that is just me...

Warning... explicit lyrics!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Nice find on the trade in on Amazon!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I was lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I basically had EVERYTHING i.e. box, manuals, software, etc that was shipped to me when I purchased. Also, I kept my GPS in primo condition.

Trade-in goes down considerably if missing original items, excessive wear and tear, lack of original box, etc.

For once it paid to be a hoarder and keep everything.

They will tell you what their price will be so easy for anyone to find out for themselves in advance to sending to Amazon.

If they want your item, they provide a label you can print-out and ship (at their expense). If they decline your item (after inspection), they return to you at their expense.

My advice, is examine your TomTom Rider 2; fairly evaluate its condition based upon Amazon's criteria; check out the price they are willing to buy your old GPS; and ship to them for the credit.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have you ever taken a good look at the TOMTOM logo? It looks like someone throwing up their hands just before a crash...

Just received the newest TomTom Rider as a birthday present. Will be taking it out for a ride this afternoon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Truchaos View Post
    Have you ever taken a good look at the TOMTOM logo? It looks like someone throwing up their hands just before a crash...

Just received the newest TomTom Rider as a birthday present. Will be taking it out for a ride this afternoon.
    Let us know what you think of the TOMTOM or did you throw your hands up in frustration?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Amazon ended up being the only retailer to actually receive the TomTom Rider 5 although other sites offered it for sale. Eventually, TomTom admitted that Amazon was the exclusive provider at this point (but they were looking for other qualified retailers).

When Amazon first posted this item (several months+ ago) it was $389.95. Eventually, I purchased from Amazon at that price.

Even though Amazon eventually sold out of all the units they had, the price on the website kept fluctuating. I have no idea why the price kept bouncing around even though they had no actual units to sell.

On the day UPS was to deliver my Rider 5, Amazon had the price down to $359.40 or $30.55 less then I originally paid for it on their website. I contacted Amazon about the price and they adjusted my purchase price to $359.40 and credited my credit card with $30.55. I received the adjustment on my credit card within 2 days. What was funny is that Amazon never actually had any of the Riders in stock at that the time and I doubt they actually even sold any at that price. Now that the Rider is in stock, Amazon's price is back up to list or $399.95.

So, after owning my old TomTom Rider 2 for nearly 4 years, with the trade-in I got ($356) and the price adjustment AFTER I purchased the Rider 5, I ended up getting a TomTom Rider 5 for $3.40 ($389.95 - $356.00 - $30.55). Not a bad deal plus now I have free lifetime maps; a larger screen; a screen with better daytime visibility; warranty; etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Let us know what you think of the TOMTOM or did you throw your hands up in frustration?
    If you were happy with the Rider 2 - you will be happier with the Rider 5.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 07-27-2013 at 02:25 PM.