Thread: Seat lock Rt

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat lock Rt

When I depress and turn the ignition key clockwise it is not operting the seat lock mechanism. i had the seat open and turned the key but the cable does not move at all.
    Does anyone have an idea what the pronblem could be?
    Is the cable operated electrically or mechanically.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I may be mistaken, and please forgive me if I am, but I believe you depress and turn the key counterclockwise.

At least on mine you do.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Sounds like your cable popped off. I would see your dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I may be mistaken, and please forgive me if I am, but I believe you depress and turn the key counterclockwise.

At least on mine you do.

Chris
    You must have a strange clock...or the 2013s are very different. You turn clockwise on everything else to open the seat and counterclockwise to open the trunk.

The mechanism is mechanical...cable operated. If you feel resistance, try pushing down hard on the seat on the front right, while turning the key. In that case look for something caught between the seat and the inner panels, a thick aftermarket seat or seat cover, or you may need to lube and adjust the latch and post. If there is no resistance, see your dealer for repairs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You must have a strange clock...or the 2013s are very different. You turn clockwise on everything else to open the seat and counterclockwise to open the trunk.

The mechanism is mechanical...cable operated. If you feel resistance, try pushing down hard on the seat on the front right, while turning the key. In that case look for something caught between the seat and the inner panels, a thick aftermarket seat or seat cover, or you may need to lube and adjust the latch and post. If there is no resistance, see your dealer for repairs.
    What he said

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been trying this for 6 months, and still can't open either the frunk, or the seat with the key...

.... I have digital clocks!

Spyder Garage

2012 RT limited push key in & turn clockwise seat opens. I have three hands on the clocks in the house digital in the vehicles.

Spyder Garage

This may sound way too obvious but push first then turn.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

DUH!!!! Another brain fart. Here I was visualizing opening my frunk. Just wasn't paying attention to the original question. Time to retire?

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    DUH!!!! Another brain fart. Here I was visualizing opening my frunk. Just wasn't paying attention to the original question. Time to retire?

Chris
    Well he is in the UK and you could have got it right even with the "Brain Fart"...you know they have their steering wheel on the other side and they drive on the other side of the road.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I've been trying this for 6 months, and still can't open either the frunk, or the seat with the key...

.... I have digital clocks!

So for 6 months you haven't put gas in your Spyder?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I may be a stupid Brit speak funnily and drive on the wrong side of the road but I know which way to turn the key to open the seat even if I did not i could read the manual! The issue is this does not seem to operate the cable thus disenganging the seat post. I have the seat open so I can see there is no movement so my original question any clue on the cause.

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you see no movement, I would go back to Lamont's reply above... The cable probably came off at the key. You can look to see if the cable is attached at the latch ...

Spyder Garage

Default Seat lock?

I have a 2011 RT SE5 and have had the same problem. Unable to open seat. Have had to my dealer twice for fixing and just got it fixed. They put giant amounts of grease on latch. I will apply WD40 any time I an out in the garage. Have your dealer look into problem. Hope you get it fixed.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    I have a 2011 RT SE5 and have had the same problem. Unable to open seat. Have had to my dealer twice for fixing and just got it fixed. They put giant amounts of grease on latch. I will apply WD40 any time I an out in the garage. Have your dealer look into problem. Hope you get it fixed.
    If there is resistance when you turn, the problem is likely the latch. If there is no resistance, it is probably the cable.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat won't unlatch

We swapped our OEM seat which opened fine for a Corbin which unlocks when it wants to. Thank goodness for the fuel door. During Bike Week 2013 while at the BRP tent we raised the seat an used the helmet holders. Yep you guessed it! Thanks to a nice man in a ISCI polo shirt he came to or rescue with a fist to the right side of the seat in the front where the lock post is.

We have since then been back to Corbin Ormond Beach store to get it re-opened and again the fix was a slam to the right side of the seat.

One would think that a company like Corbin would come up with a more satisfactory cure then a slam to the side of the seat for as much as you pay for the Corbin name. This maybe the first and last Corbin I ever buy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    We swapped our OEM seat which opened fine for a Corbin which unlocks when it wants to. Thank goodness for the fuel door. During Bike Week 2013 while at the BRP tent we raised the seat an used the helmet holders. Yep you guessed it! Thanks to a nice man in a ISCI polo shirt he came to or rescue with a fist to the right side of the seat in the front where the lock post is.

We have since then been back to Corbin Ormond Beach store to get it re-opened and again the fix was a slam to the right side of the seat.

One would think that a company like Corbin would come up with a more satisfactory cure then a slam to the side of the seat for as much as you pay for the Corbin name. This maybe the first and last Corbin I ever buy.
    Take it back to Corbin, Bob. I had that with my 2010 Corbin seat. In fact I believe Lamont originally had this problem, and even suggested not to even have it engage.

I pointed this out to Mike (not Corbin), the manager, when he installed my new seat on my 2013. He made sure it worked without the "little pop" that you have to give to open it.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post

Adjust your saet latch post to be a little longer, make sure it is centered on the latch, and lube the latch and post. It will make a world of difference.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I installed my Corbin myself and have had no problems with the latch. I just need to figure out a way to keep it up when I do open it. I don't want to have to carry a short 2x4 around to hold the seat up.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

There should be a metal bar that you pull down to hold the seat up. At least mine has one.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem. Removed the side panels and pressed on the cable release, the latch moved smoothly and had no resistance. However the key when pressed down and turned {clockwise} it will not move. I am thinking that the cable may be frozen up. If the cable had disconnected, the key should turn easily with, no movement of the cable. I may be wrong but I just checked the price of a new cable, 09- Seat, ref#5 Cable-siege Cable seat fore a cost of $34.23 + tax and shipping, form Berts Mega Mall a sponsor here. Oh, and this is for my 08 RS.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    I have the same problem. Removed the side panels and pressed on the cable release, the latch moved smoothly and had no resistance. However the key when pressed down and turned {clockwise} it will not move. I am thinking that the cable may be frozen up. If the cable had disconnected, the key should turn easily with, no movement of the cable. I may be wrong but I just checked the price of a new cable, 09- Seat, ref#5 Cable-siege Cable seat fore a cost of $34.23 + tax and shipping, form Berts Mega Mall a sponsor here. Oh, and this is for my 08 RS.
    Does the key fail to move even when the seat is open and it is tried? If so, the cable may be frozen, as you suspect. If it will move then, but not with the seat closed, it is a matter of adjustment and lube at the latch and seat latch post.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    I installed my Corbin myself and have had no problems with the latch. I just need to figure out a way to keep it up when I do open it. I don't want to have to carry a short 2x4 around to hold the seat up.
    No gas spring to hold it in the up position (or does the corbin seat not accept the gas spring)?
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips