Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Question Garmin Zumo 660 USB Question

Just picked up my new 2012 RT-Limited today, and I absolutely love it! I brought the installed Garmin Zumo 660 GPS inside to update the software and map with my PC, but can't figure out how to do it.

I have several Garmin Nuvi GPS units and updating them is easy ... I just plug the mini-USB plug into the GPS and the regular USB plug into the computer. The PC immediately recognizes the GPS and I can update the software and/or maps at www.mygarmin.com.

However, I am having a problem doing this with the Zumo 660. When I plug the mini-USB plug into the connector under the battery cover, the unit will not turn on. And, if the GPS is turned on when I plug in the mini-USB plug, it immediately shuts off.

I then tried snapping the automobile mounting cradle onto the back of the GPS and plugging the mini-USB plug into the port on the cradle. However, the GPS then says "The USB cable is connected to the wrong port", and the computer won't recognize it. I've tried three different USB cables, including the short one that came with the Zumo 660, and get the same results with each one.

Has anyone else run into this problem with the Zumo 660 GPS that comes installed on RT-Limited Spyders? If someone has, please tell me how you resolved it.

Thanks.

Don
    2018 RT Ltd , Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Don:

I think you have to register the serial number of your Garmin first. I would go here to start.

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/regis...egoryType=AUTO

[QUOTE=Winni-Laker;600639

However, I am having a problem doing this with the Zumo 660. When I plug the mini-USB plug into the connector under the battery cover, the unit will not turn on. And, if the GPS is turned on when I plug in the mini-USB plug, it immediately shuts off.

I then tried snapping the automobile mounting cradle onto the back of the GPS and plugging the mini-USB plug into the port on the cradle. However, the GPS then says "The USB cable is connected to the wrong port", and the computer won't recognize it. I've tried three different USB cables, including the short one that came with the Zumo 660, and get the same results with each one.

Has anyone else run into this problem with the Zumo 660 GPS that comes installed on RT-Limited Spyders? If someone has, please tell me how you resolved it.

Thanks.

Don[/QUOTE]
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Don:

I think you have to register the serial number of your Garmin first. I would go here to start.

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/regis...egoryType=AUTO
    Thanks, Double Trouble. I tried to register the GPS at the Garmin website, but to register it I have to connect it with the USB cable. The registration screen indicates that it is searching for my GPS but it doesn't find it. The problem seems to be that my PC is not seeing the GPS for some reason.

Don

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin sumo 660

Don, I had to use the supplied cable. I plugged the cable in to the PC then into the GPS. The GPS then gave me the pop up to install the battery. It worked from there. Good luck
    2013 RT Limited Pearl White
    XM Radio, Sena SM10 Bluetooth adapter, Sena SMH10 Bluetooth headset, BajaRon's sway bar, Spyderpop's beltguard and bumpskid, Baker Built cup holder, Ultimate mid-rider seat, Tricled RT mirror turn signals.

Spyder Garage

I'd contact Garmin and ask them.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Your unit should go on when you lug in the usb port.
    I think something is defective with your unit.
    Try calling Garmin customer service. They are generally very helpful.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your suggestions, folks. I'll call Garmin Customer Service tomorrow.

Don

Spyder Garage

In another thread I recall that when Garmin was called, they referred the customer to BRP because of the proprietary relationship between the two. It became a tennis match.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Zumo 660 USB Question

A few things may go wrong.

First, many usb devices are sensitive to the signal quality. To troubleshoot, make sure that you plug the usb cable directly into a usb port on your PC, using the Garmin cable: not on your monitor, usb hub or via any kind of long USB cable. (Once you get things going, you can try again)

Second, most USB devices need some kind of device driver installed to be fully functionnal. I would recommend you download and install the Garmin software from the web. It should install the bits & pieces your computer needs to talk to the GPS.

If you had already installed the software, I would recommend you give it an other shot and re-install. Try to reboot after the installation.

Let us know how you are progressing.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin USB Question

Quote Originally Posted by Winni-Laker View Post
    Just picked up my new 2012 RT-Limited today, and I absolutely love it! I brought the installed Garmin Zumo 660 GPS inside to update the software and map with my PC, but can't figure out how to do it.

I have several Garmin Nuvi GPS units and updating them is easy ... I just plug the mini-USB plug into the GPS and the regular USB plug into the computer. The PC immediately recognizes the GPS and I can update the software and/or maps at www.mygarmin.com.

Thanks.

Don
    I had the same issue. My Nuvi would be recognized but not my Zumo. It was the strangest thing, but I got around it by using the wife's Windows 8 laptop. Mine is a MacBook Pro.

Spyder Garage

I had a similar problem with the GARMIN 660. I did call garmin and got the problem solved over the phone. I now have all of the most recent maps, POI's, etc. You will need to install Garmin Express on your computer before you call.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic