Thread: Vacuum lines

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vacuum lines

I've just started having trouble with my 2011 RT. Rough idle, won't automatically downshift (especially into first), and will die when I come to a stop.

In my reading, a possible cause could be the vacuum lines. My husband said he would check them for me, but I can't find where I need to tell him to check. Left side? Right side? Attached to...? I'm basically clueless and he expects me to tell him where to look before he starts taking the tupperware off.

Thanks.
    Leslie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you check proper oil level?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Check this thread, looks to be left side.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-after-Storage

Spyder Garage

There are several vacuum lines on the Spyder. I recommend taking the body panels off both sides. Removing the airbox wouldn't hurt either, in order to do a thorough inspection.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 04-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. We did check the oil. Don't get me started. We just got the spyder back 2 weeks ago from it's 6,000 mile service. Things have been down hill from there. Last night we cut our ride short as it kept acting up. We checked the oil and it is way over full. I guess they just put oil in and didn't check the level? We checked 3 or 4 times, after our ride so I know it was running temp and we let it run then turned it off then checked. The oil level was at the top of the "X" marks on the dipstick, not down at the notch with the "F".

The dealer was closed today, we are gonna call tomorrow. Did I damage anything by riding it with too much oil?

Thanks, we are fixing to start taking panels off and see what we can find.

Leslie

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

This is the 3rd 2011 RT that I know about the vacuum lines. Hope yall can find and replace them.

Spyder Garage

About the only thing the extra oil usually does is force oil to the airbox...especially on the early GS. Since the Spyder was recently serviced, another good possibility was that a vacuum line was merely knocked off (or left disconnected) near the airbox.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    About the only thing the extra oil usually does is force oil to the airbox...especially on the early GS. Since the Spyder was recently serviced, another good possibility was that a vacuum line was merely knocked off (or left disconnected) near the airbox.
    Thanks. I am feeling better about this. I've had very little trouble with this bike and sure would hate to think I've damaged it by riding it. We are going to try to get it back in to the dealers and show them the over full oil and go from there.

Leslie

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Make it four. My 2011 did the same thing and one line was split and one was cracked. The shop could not get them as they were back ordered at BRP until who knows. I had to call all over and finally found a shop that had 2 on the shelf, got them sent to me and delivered them to the shop. They got replaced and we were good to go. Now it is starting to squeal like a pig when backing up and starting out so back to the shop we will go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    This is the 3rd 2011 RT that I know about the vacuum lines. Hope yall can find and replace them.