Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 600 Mile Service

About how long should a 600 mile service take? I'm debating driving to the dealer or hauling it on a trailer... I get bored very fast.

John

Spyder Garage

One and a half to two hours
    Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

set it up in advance... but drop in it
    first thing in the morning, then come
    back after lunch.

Spyder Garage

Default Time..!!

As mentioned set up an appointment and make a point to tell them you have to wait for it. Usually they mark the work order "customer waiting". Still depends on your dealer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

What is estimate $$$$ for 600 mile check up
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze
    Inspector Gadgets cupholder & rear deck brake light

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    What is estimate $$$$ for 600 mile check up
    It's a flat rate and it is posted on the wall of the service department and was pointed out to me by the service manager (very nice person) when I picked up my BlueSpyder... $240 IIRC.

John

Spyder Garage

Harry Pottar's theory on service #5

Never rush a tech: Make an appointment, drop the spyder off in the morning or if you can the night before. Then pick her up late at night or the next day. In past with my wing, I have dropped the bike off on a Tuesday and picked it up on the following Friday/Saturday.

I don't want my bike rushed through service to make a deadline, I want them to have the time to do the job right and to check things over. Now of course what goes on back there is another story, they maybe slammed and rush the service anyway. This is where you have to build trust up with the service guys.

Harry Pottar's theory on service #6

Become a squeaky wheel: It's a very fine line to walk from becoming that horrid customer that moans about everything to the polite customer that's picky. I make it very clear up front that I'm a picky customer and want thinks done right. Went to pick up my wing once and as always I inspect it from head to toe. There was a hole in the headed seats that was not there before. After a headed debate they agreed to replace, but told me to take the bike they will call me when the seats comes in. I said no, not signing, paying and accepting the bike back until its fixed. I know once I paid the service bill and rode away I would have a hard time getting the seat replaced. They replaced my seat in three days and I was happy camper...

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's why I don't like leaving it any longer than I have to. More opportunity for a hole in the seat or nick in the paint. Also my dealer stores them outside. I don't like that. I always make it a poin to wait or walk o breakfast up the road and come back. Once they came and picked me up.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just did my 600 mile yesterday I had made and app. it took about 2 hours (the software update took about 20 min. of that) and cost $269

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What do they really do other than change oil and check a few nuts and bolts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Storm56 View Post
    What do they really do other than change oil and check a few nuts and bolts?
    The maintenance tasks are listed in your manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    About how long should a 600 mile service take? I'm debating driving to the dealer or hauling it on a trailer... I get bored very fast.

John
    If you are not local to the dealer and call in advance and let them know that you live far away and will be waiting, they should be able to get you in and out in two hours. May be the same if you are local? Take a book or magazine, though. It is the longest two-hour wait you will ever have, especially when you know that they finished the bike after 45 minutes but won't release it until it's closer to the time that you are paying for. (Cynical huh?)

If in checking over key points they find something critical that needs to be tightened, adjusted, or replaced, the service charge is minimal, but most times it is gross overpayment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    If you are not local to the dealer and call in advance and let them know that you live far away and will be waiting, they should be able to get you in and out in two hours. May be the same if you are local? Take a book or magazine, though. It is the longest two-hour wait you will ever have, especially when you know that they finished the bike after 45 minutes but won't release it until it's closer to the time that you are paying for. (Cynical huh?)

If in checking over key points they find something critical that needs to be tightened, adjusted, or replaced, the service charge is minimal, but most times it is gross overpayment.
    The dealer is about 80 miles away... and I have a few items for them to check warranty wise. It has a slight pull to the left at all times when going straight. The tire pressure gauge was DOA. The gas gauge is working now so that one is off the list. Oh the OAT is about 15 degrees too high. I think that is it.

John

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of scenarios about having the serviced. I am very lucky in that my dealer is five miles down the road from where I live.

I have a long relationship with the dealer (since 2001) and have purchased four ,s from them as well as some motorcycles. Their service department is good, and I have never had an issue.

I always make an appointmet for regular servicing and bring the in at opening time. I leave the with them and usually pick it up later in the day, or the next day, if it is a big job. I am the impatient type, so the sit and wait never works good for me. The upside to leaving the is that I do not feel like I am rushing or putting pressure on the dealer to get the work done. I want the work to be done right the first time.

That said--the above is not the situation that most people run into. A lot of owners live a long distance from the dealer in hours or miles. That makes a big difference about the wait times etc. Big Picture for me--work with a dealer that does good service, and everything else should fall into place.

RE: Cost for 600 mile service. Ball park around $300.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There are a lot of scenarios about having the serviced. I am very lucky in that my dealer is five miles down the road from where I live.
    I always make an appointment for regular servicing and bring the in at opening time. I leave the with them and usually pick it up later in the day, or the next day, if it is a big job. I am the impatient type, so the sit and wait never works good for me. The upside to leaving the is that I do not feel like I am rushing or putting pressure on the dealer to get the work done. I want the work to be done right the first time.

That said--the above is not the situation that most people run into. A lot of owners live a long distance from the dealer in hours or miles. That makes a big difference about the wait times etc. Big Picture for me--work with a dealer that does good service, and everything else should fall into place.

RE: Cost for 600 mile service. Ball park around $300.
    You are lucky to have a dealer 5 minutes away... I used to live across the hill from you off of Rabbit Creek Road a long time ago and it used to be remote back then.

Thanks, I'm the same way and hate to sit and wait...

John

Spyder Garage

Hijack: Glad to meet another former Alaskan. I am familiar with Rabbit Creek Rd. Compared to the Anchorage Bowl, it is still on the remote side. Homes are on bigger lots and not on top of one another. Did you ever climb Flattop?

Un-Hijack:

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hijack: Glad to meet another former Alaskan. I am familiar with Rabbit Creek Rd. Compared to the Anchorage Bowl, it is still on the remote side. Homes are on bigger lots and not on top of one another. Did you ever climb Flattop?

Un-Hijack:
    Many many times on my Honda 50 super sport with an old vacuum cleaner pipe for an exhaust pipe and the biggest sprocket I could fit on the back. I had to stand on the rear pegs and hang my head over the headlight. I don't even recall how I got back down, it must have not been as exciting.

John

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

one additional suggestion...
    don't be a Fender Leech !!!

nothing worse... than a customer
    who stands around and watches
    a tech work on their vehicle. its
    annoying, distracting and a setup
    for failure and possible mistake.

proficient techs have a routine and
    sequence to do certain serivces and
    repairs on vehicles. if a Fender Leech
    interupts them... it could lead to a
    simple plug being left disconnected,
    to a lose lug nut or axle nut.

IMHO

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My dealer doesn't take appts...1st come first serve...I had to drop it off early to get in the queue. It was ready 3 days later and it was covered under my maintenance plan but I believe the receipt was around $330. Luckily my dealer is close by but I don't think they have the space and can imagine its going to get worse as they sell more Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeRider2010 View Post
    one additional suggestion...
    don't be a Fender Leech !!!

nothing worse... than a customer
    who stands around and watches
    a tech work on their vehicle. its
    annoying, distracting and a setup
    for failure and possible mistake.

proficient techs have a routine and
    sequence to do certain serivces and
    repairs on vehicles. if a Fender Leech
    interupts them... it could lead to a
    simple plug being left disconnected,
    to a lose lug nut or axle nut.

IMHO
    Yea, I hate being watched while I work unless I'm teaching someone how to do something.

John

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 600 mile service on my RT-S was done 2 weeks ago, they had to tighten the belt which costs about $75.00 extra and switch out my lower ball joints for the recall, at no additional cost. It took them 4 hours and cost me $420 dollars. They suggested that I bring it back evey 3000 miles for service.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Spyder Garage

Just got back from my 600 mile service and left them $211 after my discount. When the tech checked on my complaint about pulling to the left he said one tire had 25 psig and one had 19 psig... I must need new eyes or gauge can't tell which. There was a broken doo-dad that holds the middle panel on behind a tamper proof screw and they ordered a replacement at no charge.

John

Spyder Garage

Don't you just hate it when it is something mechanical like the air pressure in the tires? Been there, and done that one.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't you just hate it when it is something mechanical like the air pressure in the tires? Been there, and done that one.
    Yea, so much that I'm thinking about a way to fill both tires at the same time to make sure they are dead nuts the same...

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Yea, so much that I'm thinking about a way to fill both tires at the same time to make sure they are dead nuts the same...

John
    When you perfect that let me know, i want to do the same thing.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer