Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tail of the dragon?

Was probably going to do this at the end of this coming week. My question is, is it possible to just take this at a low speed and enjoy curves or will there be people speeding up behind you that you have to worry about being rear ended? I really want to do this but don't want to feel I have to press it more than I'm comfortable doing! Thanks for your input!
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Rode the Dragon

My wife and I and another couple rode the tail of the dragon in November of last year. We had no problem with people riding too close behind or making us feel uncomfortable. Everyone was very friendly. We had a great time. Check out the Moonshine Run while your in that area, we liked it better than the dragon.

Spyder Garage

Speed limit on the Dragon is posted @ 30mph. And they do enforce it. Keep your eyes on the road especially, where the cameras are set up. Too many people look at the camera and end up on the "Tree of Shame".

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder601 View Post
    Was probably going to do this at the end of this coming week. My question is, is it possible to just take this at a low speed and enjoy curves or will there be people speeding up behind you that you have to worry about being rear ended? I really want to do this but don't want to feel I have to press it more than I'm comfortable doing! Thanks for your input!
    You should have no problem, but do check out the "Cherahola Skyway" very cool----Budro

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Tail of the dragon?

Hold your line and let the fast bikes pass you; safest way. Pull off at the many overlooks if traffic is stacking up behind you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Speed limit on the Dragon is posted @ 30mph. And they do enforce it. Keep your eyes on the road especially, where the cameras are set up. Too many people look at the camera and end up on the "Tree of Shame".
    You don't want to be hanging here.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I really want to ride the tail of the dragon. I'm concerned about motion sickness though :C I really need to find something that works for me.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Dragon tales

If your day at the dragon goes like our day went. You expect to get pushed by intimidation, which failed. Passed on a straight a way no matter how short. Find some lunkheads drafting into your lane coming at you head on. Some very heads up riders. Some "I wonder how he keeps his drivers license drivers" types

ride at your comfort level and be safe. Like a previous post said, if traffic stacks up behind you pull off and let them go. I almost always got behind some intimidated motor coach driver driving five MPH under the limit. Who wa/ on the brakes going up hill or down hill. They are the ones that scare me the worst.

if you get lucky you will have minimal, steady moving traffic. . One trip on our GW we stopped at a rest stop to let the slow mover a head of use get ten miles a head of us and we caught up with him an hour later.

That same trip some rice rocket pilots pulled off when we did for the express purpose of wanting to met the two old farts burning the curves on GWs. We were amused at that compliment .

I have yet to make the trip on the Spyder but it is on the list of things to do!!!!

Spyder Garage

Bob Ledford mentioned something that never ceases to drive me nuts when traveling twisty roads like the Dragon, The Rattler, Ga Highway 60 and others.

Seems we always run up on a cager who is a left foot braker and stays on the brakes no matter what. In addition to the smell of burning linings wafting back there is also the safety issue of not knowing when the driver is applying the brakes for real.

This type of driver may be a bigger hazard than the one who brakes coming out of the turn instead of when entering and moves over the line into your piece of the road.

At least with the first type you can pull over for a while to let them get far, far ahead.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No offense to those that "love" the "Dragon", but I didn't find it to be all that it was cracked-up to be -- and likely never to be something I would do again.

There are plenty of other roads across the entire area that are far more enjoyable, or challenging (depending on your taste) than the Dragon.

Just my two-cents... But I know... everyone wants to "ride the Dragon" once...

Have fun, and ride safe no matter what you end-up doing!

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Great ride

It is super fun..take your time and be alert..we rode it with friends from south florida and Canada..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out the website http://tailofthedragon.com/index.html lots of info on area and other roads Cherahola is one lane at one point from a land slide, 441 Smokey Mountain National Park closed from multiple slides. I had fun on the Dragon took it slow the first couple of times. Pullover or move to the right to let fast traffic by.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-30-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

That is what I had hoped to hear! Thank you all for your responses! I can't wait to get up that way. I hear the roads are great all over the area!
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The views are great as well as the roads.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have slain the Dragon, some 19 times since 1998.
    both on two wheelers and the Spyder. it is fun, and
    you do learn how the Spyder handles the twisties
    and the switchbacks. and yes... I have the stickers,
    t-shirts, fridge magnets, shot glasses and the pics.

last year, we rode the Cherahola Skyway in the fall,
    for the first time ever. it was VERY relaxing and
    gorgeous in the fall. its getting about time to do it
    again.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Everybody needs to ride the dragon once , just to say they did it, i was scared to death when i came up to it due to all the propaganda, when i got done with it i was like,, is this it???? I think it ii way over rated, there are roads equal or more challenging than the dragon within 100 miles from there, beautiful views and exelent restaurants in the middle of no where.
    Like the others said, ride at your own phase, enjoy it, DON'T SPEED!!, There are cops in every turn, all i can say is, it is not as bad as they make it sound, the show offs are the ones getting in trouble.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I live pretty close by the Dragon (200 miles) and my MC Club goes there every year. The best time to ride it is during the week when the traffic count is way down. Atlanta is just to the South and a lot of Sport bikes come up for the day on the weekends. Other than sport riders crossing over into your lane the second biggest hazard are the tourists in under sprung sedans, followed by the corvette clubs. Overall getting to the "Dragon" is a much better ride than the Dragon itself. 311 turns in 11 miles at 30 mph or less, is more work than fun. I prefer long sweepers at around 45-55 mph like the Blue Ridge Parkway. In any case these roads are better Monday to Thursday than on the weekends.

Spyder Garage

Can someone please list the other rides in the area? I'll be there in June and don't want to miss anything!
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhfromme View Post
    Can someone please list the other rides in the area? I'll be there in June and don't want to miss anything!
    NC Highway 209 (the Rattler) from Lake Junaluska to Hot Springs NC is a nicer ride.

GA Highway 60 from Morganton NC to Dahlonega GA is also a great ride. You can go south on that road and then come back north on Highway 129 which is the southern end of the Dragon.

You need to do the Dragon at least once but both these roads are better rides for comfort, safety and scenery (plus a few challenges).

Spyder Garage

Ceasar's Head in SC is a far better ride than the dragon. Much more intimidating and tighter twisties. 11 miles up and 11 miles down. You actually come down into NC on the other side.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hellbender, US 28, goes from Franklin all the way to the start of the Dragon. Great road, 54 miles long with tight areas, sweepers and little traffic.
    Wayah road is great, starting at Loafers Glory
    WarWoman road in NC, near Franklin is also a good ride. 64 up from Franklin to Highland is good for sightseeing too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Taking notes about all of these great roads for when my chance comes to go looking for them! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

http://tailofthedragon.com/index.html This will tell you!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

If you are concerned about the Tail... rYding it over there is plenty of practice!!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    If you are concerned about the Tail... rYding it over there is plenty of practice!!
    Not so much concerned as much as just wanted to know what to expect I'm weird like that lol

2017 F3-T , Pearl White