Spyder Garage

Default Can I use RainEx on my windshield?

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I am having a blast tooling around in my new 2013 Spyder RT LTD. I just can't look at the thing without smiling!

I am wondering if anyone here knows if I can put RainX on the windshield? I love that stuff, but I think it is only rated for glass?

Thanks!

Image.jpg

JonnyVermont

~~~ I don't want a pickle... I just want to ride on my motorcicle.... ~~~
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

You cannot use it on Plexiglas
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Correct, Rain-X will eventually cloud your windshield; that's assuming it's the same stuff they use to make helmet visors - wouldn't use it on those either. Go with something like Plexus.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Ok.... that's what I thought. Guess I'll have to go fast so the water beads right off...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is what I found...

Rain-X creates a product specifically designed for Plexiglass and is sold as a marine version.

Applying the original Rain-X formula to acrylic will harm it to the point of decay. The alcoholic content of the original spray is not recommended in use with acrylics such as Plexiglass.

I might add... If you are looking through your windshield when riding you might consider not doing so. Read the "Motorcycle Safety Foundation's" recommendation for windshield height, and reasons why you shouldn't get into the habit of looking through one.

Seems more and more newer riders are looking to ride behind "Barn Door" windshields without realizing what they are doing.

Just a suggestion to follow the recommendation of experts...
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 07-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

This is what I use: http://www.protectall.com/ .In fact, I wax my bike first thing in the spring and then use this stuff after each wash. Works pretty good.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Plexius

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I might add... If you are looking through your windshield when riding you might consider not doing so. Read the "Motorcycle Safety Foundation's" recommendation for windshield height, and reasons why you shouldn't get into the habit of looking through one.

Which is????

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

This is what I use and it works well.
    http://www.ride-onshop.com/product.c...06&product=541

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

Which is????
    Don't look through the windshield...!! I'm gonna look..!! it up..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

There is nothing better than Rejex . I have used it on all my Corvettes and bugs wipe off. It is safe for Plexiglas glass and eisenglass and did my windshield with it. Nothing sticks to it I will be doing the rest of the bike with it too. Very easy to put on and lasts 6mo. Completely safe to use on airplane windshields, but it's also safe to use on glass, Plexiglas, Eisenglass (the clear vinyl windows used on boat canvas and some convertibles) and all clear coat finishes. Without these polishing micro-abrasives, RejeX will not compound/polish off oxidized paint. You won't believe how it works on rims either I never washed my vettes but 1 time a year . California duster them wipe the brake dust off the rims and down the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

Which is????
    It is recommended the top of the windshield comes to the bridge of your nose; thus you look over it, not through it.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You shouldn't be looking through your windshield. Your eyesight level should be just above it.

Spyder Garage

Use Plexus for windshields, faceshields, etc. Safe for plastics and acrylics and used widely in aviation for canopies. I like Rain-X but only use on glass.

Spyder Garage

Default YES

First clean the windshield with a 50/50 mix of windshield bug remover and blue windshield cleaner +32 deg. Then use MEGUIAR'S PLASTX and let it sit for about 15 min. Then use RAINX, put about 5 drops on a clean rag lit it on the rag for about 20 sec. and apply. I have doing this for a long time and can be used on your helmet face shield. I have doing this for over 40 years and never had any problems. That's IMHO.

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Use

Clear stream available most every where

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Don't look through the windshield...!! I'm gonna look..!! it up..!!

Well? Did you?

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited