Spyder Garage

Default Spyder vs 4-wheeler in the city??!!??

Found this on you tube.. since when is it legal to run 4-wheelers in the city??

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In Romania everything is allowed...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great vid!

Spyder Garage

is about all I can say here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Some quads are street legal in England too.
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At about half the weight, and about a foot narrower, the quads can count nimbleness in their corner... But the Spyder has them beat for "Coolness"; hands down!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee67 View Post
    since when is it legal to run 4-wheelers in the city??
    Depending on where you go there are a number of western states that have some allowance for 4wheelers on public roads and streets. While out in Custer, SD and West Yellowstone, Montana last June there were 4wheelers and UTV's running around all over the place.

Spyder Garage

The way these guys drive, I can see why there are so many crash compilations from that part of the world.

Spyder Garage

I'll never understand why four-wheelers can't be street legal here in America (the few locations they already are, excepted). Two wheels are legal, three wheels are legal, what's so magically scary about *four* wheels?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

They have headlights hi/lo taillights, brake lights, turn signals that makes them street legal..all a smart car has is two doors...they made it street legal...alas..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

About 4 1/2 minutes in at the traffic light, I liked the four wheeler to the left. It was the right color too! YELLOW. Unimog. I've always wanted one of those. But it gets in the single digits in gas milage!

Thanks for the video. Was that in Italy? All the vehicles had euro tags on them. I didn't see a tag on the other quad? The Spyder had one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    I'll never understand why four-wheelers can't be street legal here in America (the few locations they already are, excepted). Two wheels are legal, three wheels are legal, what's so magically scary about *four* wheels?
    Over here I think it has more to do with the EPA regs and the various "cocoon" laws. It would have to be a well-trained four-wheeler to jump through all the government hoops. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Over here I think it has more to do with the EPA regs and the various "cocoon" laws. It would have to be a well-trained four-wheeler to jump through all the government hoops. JMHO
    Oh, I get the various legal reasons why. It's the philosophical reason why that makes me shake my head. I'm no more exposed on a quad than I am on a motorcycle or my Spyder. Slap the right lights, mirrors, plates, etc. on a quad and I can't see what makes it any less of a road vehicle than the former.

That said, the last thing I'd ever want to do is take one a generic ATV with knobby tires and no differential out on the street. I'd want a purpose-built street quad before I'd ride one on the road for anything beyond local trips off the trails.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

4 wheelers [ATVs' and side byes] Are legal in some parts of NY, Tug Hill comes to mind as one.
    Helmet, Registering and insurance is required. And only on posted roads under 40 mph.
    In NJ Electric side byes are allowed with about the same requirements as NY, As a matter of fact
    Polaris sells one, Its registered as an Ultra low speed vehicle.
    I have 3 atvs and 2 side byes, And once your on black top at any speed, A quick maneuver will have you upside down, I've rolled a few and seen it happen to a few. Most have a locked axle which does not go well on hard top. Ever drive a true Army Jeep ''not'' a civilian one, We turned a few over, But they were rentals so we didn't care.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that it's more a case of the road having been designated for that usage; not the the ATV in question is actually legal for street usage. Towns may; at their option, allow usage of snowmobiles or ATVs on certain roadways IF the roads meet certain qualifying characteristics...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with EPA. DOT has a bunch of rules in there as well. I rodea quad with "street tires" ( no idea why the guy had
    them on there). It did not do too bad on pavement.
    Somebody mentioned military jeeps. I liked the M -83 ? and the original M 151 for off road capebilty. They would flip in a second on the hard stuff, if you did not pay attention.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buthe mblebee67 View Post
    Found this on you tube.. since when is it legal to run 4-wheelers in the city??
    Very obvious not here in the USA.. Maybe someday why not?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Oh, I get the various legal reasons why. It's the philosophical reason why that makes me shake my head. I'm no more exposed on a quad than I am on a motorcycle or my Spyder. Slap the right lights, mirrors, plates, etc. on a quad and I can't see what makes it any less of a road vehicle than the former.

That said, the last thing I'd ever want to do is take one a generic ATV with knobby tires and no differential out on the street. I'd want a purpose-built street quad before I'd ride one on the road for anything beyond local trips off the trails.
    Although there have been philosophical discussions about the relative safety of quads on the street, I don't think that has affected their legality. I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that as "automobiles" under the regulations, four-wheelers must have air bags, roll-over protection, and on and on ad nauseum. Until they come up with lawmakers and rule makers with an ounce of common sense, we'll never see quads on city streets...at least not in Michigan. Even if they "invent" a new category of vehicle, somebody will try to find a way to use that to skirt the automobile regulations, and they'll likely ban the category altogether in response.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!