Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with cell phone emergency #'s

I'm new to the data phones. I've got a galaxy S3. It takes several taps to unlock the phone, tap on the call button, then if I've used contact last, then a tap to get to the dialer.

All the talk of the conceal carry has got me thinking about being prepared for an emergency. So, I'm in an emergency situation, I'm just gonna say, ah, "stop, wait a minute", I've got to unlock my phone, then tap, tap, then tap.

Is there a way to put the 911 contact # on the lock screen so when I swipe on it, it will start dialing? If not on that screen, then on the home screen?

I absolutely love my new phone, but the old flip phone was much faster when needing to dial. just flip it up and hit your speed dial #. Basically one step.

Any thoughts or suggestions to help me be better prepared?

Thanks,
    Leslie

Spyder Garage

You didn't say who your carrier was so I can't give you details because every carrier uses different settings. But in general if you go to the "widgets" section there is usually always a widget that allows you to call a specific number in your contacts from an icon you could put on any screen. So to call 911 on the galaxy 3 you would simply swipe the screen to unlock it and then press a single icon on the home screen. It would take less than 5 seconds.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you can install apps on your phone it is an great idea to add a I.C.E. app. It is "In Case Of Emergency". It will list medical details specific to you in case EMS or some other medical team would need the info if you were unresponsive.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with cell phone emergency #'s

If you are using a lock screen on an android phone there is usually an "emergency dial" button below the lock screen that bypasses the lock screen, taking you straight to the dealer so you can dial 911

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Red face Teddy made me do it

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    If you are using a lock screen on an android phone there is usually an "emergency dial" button below the lock screen that bypasses the lock screen, taking you straight to the dealer so you can dial 911 Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    In an Emergency, of all the ppl you could call first, why would you want your first call to be to your dealer???

Sorry, I couldn't resist, Teddy made me do it I'm thinking you meant DIALER, right?

But anyways, I just checked on my Verizon S3 & find no such button to bypass the lock screen. Adding the widget/app with ICE numbers right to your home screen seems to be the best solution with fewest taps that I can tell

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the galaxy S3. Here's a shortcut. Swipe to unlock, hit the voice command button at the bottom of the unit, then scream "Call 9-1-1"
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I have the galaxy S3. Here's a shortcut. Swipe to unlock, hit the voice command button at the bottom of the unit, then scream "Call 9-1-1"
    Mind if I ask which service provider you have? I have the S3 from Verizon & have no such voice command button at the bottom of the unit, such as you speak. I do have an on-screen button to tap on another page besides the Home Screen, is this the one you are referring to or does your model have an actual button on the botton of the unit? On the bottom of mine, it has the OPTIONS HOMESCREEN BACK buttons, that's all. Sorry, not trying to Hijack the thread, just curious to know, thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Mind if I ask which service provider you have? I have the S3 from Verizon & have no such voice command button at the bottom of the unit, such as you speak. I do have an on-screen button to tap on another page besides the Home Screen, is this the one you are referring to or does your model have an actual button on the botton of the unit? On the bottom of mine, it has the OPTIONS HOMESCREEN BACK buttons, that's all. Sorry, not trying to Hijack the thread, just curious to know, thanks
    AT&T

That button below the screen on the case. http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/...9/s3fronts.jpg hit that twice and voice command comes up (like Siri on iPhones).

I found an easier way just now. Go to your contacts, find your emergency contact's name. Hold your finger on it until the menu comes up. The last choice is "Add shortcut to home". It will automatically create an icon that you drag to your home screen.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default iPhone

my iPhone 4S with AT&T has an "Emergency Call" button on the password login screen

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Someday I will install my a panic button on right handle. . On star button is next.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I found an easier way just now. Go to your contacts, find your emergency contact's name. Hold your finger on it until the menu comes up. The last choice is "Add shortcut to home". It will automatically create an icon that you drag to your home screen.

I'm with AT&T also. I tried this and the menu that comes up doesn't have a "shortcut to home" option. Also, in what reading I have done so far, it seems that on the galaxy S3 that you don't have a "emergency dial" button unless you have a lock code. I don't, I just do the swipe to go to the home screen. I think this is why I don't have the button.

I'm thinking the best option so far is a contact widget. Thanks for this tip. I didn't know I had this but I did find it in the phone.

Thanks. Would rather have this figured out and never need it than need it and can't get to it!

Leslie

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you I think I have found my solution. I did find a widget on my phone and put on a screen then I made my emergency contact with an appropriate picture. This a screen shot of the widget. I'm gonna add a few more contacts, but now to dial this, it is just a 2 tap process and not several.

Screenshot_2013-03-27-12-40-05.jpg

Lots to learn on this phone!
    Thanks again.
    Leslie