Thread: O2 Modifier

Spyder Garage

Default O2 Modifier

If I remove the Yoshi muffler and go back to stock, should I remove the O2 modifier? I still have the oiled green air filter so I'm guessing perhaps it does provide a tad more airflow than the stock paper filter. Just wondering if there would be any benefit from leaving the modifier on or should I take it off and go back to the factory O2 sensor. I know these things run very lean from the factory. Any advice is appreciated.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

I would. You are likely to run quite rich without doing so. Put an O2 sensor back in, and hook it up. Be aware that the computer may take a while to re-learn and adjust.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would. You are likely to run quite rich without doing so. Put an O2 sensor back in, and hook it up. Be aware that the computer may take a while to re-learn and adjust.
    So you think it would be best to remove it and go back to stock sensor? The green filter alone won't make it too lean?
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    So you think it would be best to remove it and go back to stock sensor? The green filter alone won't make it too lean?
    The green filter alone doesn't bother Nancy's at all.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If I remove the Yoshi muffler and go back to stock, should I remove the O2 modifier? I still have the oiled green air filter so I'm guessing perhaps it does provide a tad more airflow than the stock paper filter. Just wondering if there would be any benefit from leaving the modifier on or should I take it off and go back to the factory O2 sensor. I know these things run very lean from the factory. Any advice is appreciated.
    why are you removing the Yoshi?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    why are you removing the Yoshi?
    I haven't decided yet but I'm tired of the occasional popping and backfiring. The O2 modifier took care of about 90% of it but the only way I'll get 100% smoother running is to go with a fuel manager i.e... JB or PC and then that opens a whole nother can o worms that I'm not sure its worth the trouble just for a better sounding muffler. If I go back to stock everything should straighten itself out. I do have another idea that might work though. I see where there is a slip in baffle for the Yoshi. I'm sure it will lose some decibels but it might also regain some back pressure and eliminate some popping. might be worth a shot before I remove it all together.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Absolutely NOT! My wife's machine runs exponentially better with the O2 modifier and hers is bone stock. Just my .02.
    Rule of thumb; mess with the air box/filter on the spyder along with adding the pipe? what do ya get? A whole lotta "bang bang" comin' from the muffler. Pipe alone leans it out and need at least the O2 mod. Green filter forget it! Even map 3 with the JB Pro won't do it.

I just went down to visit my folks today w/ the 2 bro's duals on without the p1x tips. Man that thing is loud! Didn't notice a difference in the AFR readings on the gauge using the custom map I built without the tips. Basically wide open. Can't say whether the baffle would make a difference. If it's popping it's waaayyyy too lean!
    Last edited by vtspyder; 03-23-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

I haven't decided yet but I'm tired of the occasional popping and backfiring. The O2 modifier took care of about 90% of it but the only way I'll get 100% smoother running is to go with a fuel manager i.e... JB or PC and then that opens a whole nother can o worms that I'm not sure its worth the trouble just for a better sounding muffler. If I go back to stock everything should straighten itself out. I do have another idea that might work though. I see where there is a slip in baffle for the Yoshi. I'm sure it will lose some decibels but it might also regain some back pressure and eliminate some popping. might be worth a shot before I remove it all together.
    I've got just the hindle on mine, and I get some backfiring and popping. most say that you shouldn't see this on a hindle. i'm considering going back to stock this year if the dealer can't get the backfiring and popping out of it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    I've got just the hindle on mine, and I get some backfiring and popping. most say that you shouldn't see this on a hindle. i'm considering going back to stock this year if the dealer can't get the backfiring and popping out of it!
    A buddy of mine had an 08 with just the hindle and his just got progressively worse until it finally blew the rivets out.

Spyder Garage

I'm curious. what would happen if you installed a performance intake like kewlmetals free flowing, but left the exhaust stock. would there be repercussions?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I run my spyder with the factory pipe on it when I'm with my wife and she's riding hers. I like it quiet when we're using the intercoms. I just leave the green filter in place and switch to the factory muffler, switch to map 1 on the JB Pro and never have an issue. AFR is right where it should be. You would have to find out the "flow rate" of the Kewl Metal intake and compare it to the factory box with the green filter to know for sure. I have no idea who would have that info. I think the green filter only is fine with the O2 mod but you'd have to try it to be sure. From the research I've done there is a reason why the factory airbox uses velocity stacks. Kewlmetal intake does not. Lots of info on the purpose of them on motorcycle forums. I know...more stuff to "chew" on. Be sure and let us know what works and what doesn't. Knowledge is power and that's why these forums are so great.

Spyder Garage

Default a little more backpressure

could be a good thing. i've learned this from experimenting with my pipe. the more open i run it, i'll get a little popping on de-cel. i choked it down a little and it's great. zero popping or backfire. most of these aftermarket pipes are a little too freeflowing, hence the popping. maybe switch back to the stock air filter also to see what happens. it can only help the situation. ANYTHING but the s.tock pipe.i use a stock air filter, my homemade pipe and it runs smooth and strong always. no pops, no cracks, no backfire
    Last edited by coz; 03-23-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the hindle as well, changed my air filter and modified the air box as well and when I had the O2 in I would get lots of backfiring and a few time I was told a few pops of fire as well and my MPG went to hell. I removed the O2 and all backfire went away and got back some MPG and to tell you the truth I did not see a difference in performance when I had the O2 in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    could be a good thing. i've learned this from experimenting with my pipe. the more open i run it, i'll get a little popping on de-cel. i choked it down a little and it's great. zero popping or backfire. most of these aftermarket pipes are a little too freeflowing, hence the popping. maybe switch back to the stock air filter also to see what happens. it can only help the situation. ANYTHING but the s.tock pipe.i use a stock air filter, my homemade pipe and it runs smooth and strong always. no pops, no cracks, no backfire
    I saw your video with that pipe Coz. SWEET Ever think of manufacturing and selling those?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    I have the hindle as well, changed my air filter and modified the air box as well and when I had the O2 in I would get lots of backfiring and a few time I was told a few pops of fire as well and my MPG went to hell. I removed the O2 and all backfire went away and got back some MPG and to tell you the truth I did not see a difference in performance when I had the O2 in.
    What do you mean by "modified the air box"?

Spyder Garage

Default pipes

I saw your video with that pipe Coz. SWEET Ever think of manufacturing and selling those?
    if i could weld i probably would. they are very simple to make. contrary to popular belief, a pipe doesn't have to cost 500 bucks to be good. i've got about 75 bucks invested in mine thank you for the compliment, major. i'll be getting it powdercoated soon. it's looking a little rough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coz; 03-24-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    it was fun while it lasted.