Spyder Garage

Default VALVE CHECK REALLY NECESSARY?????

IM COMING UP ON 24000 MILES AND NEVER HAD A VALVE CHECK! ANY OF YOU BIG MILERS GET THIS DONE AND WERE THE VALVES OUT OF SPEC? THE LABOUR RATES ARE IN ORBIT FOR THIS AND I WONDER HOW NECESSARY IT REALLY IS?
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

A couple threads in the last week or so.

Consensus: No at the 28,000 mile mark. I have had two valve checks on two different ,s and there was no adjustment need. One at 12,000 and one at 28,000. Approx $600 extra for the service.

Word of caution though: It's your call, and that is not what the service manual recommends.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A couple threads in the last week or so.

Consensus: No at the 28,000 mile mark. I have had two valve checks on two different ,s and there was no adjustment need. One at 12,000 and one at 28,000. Approx $600 extra for the service.

Word of caution though: It's your call, and that is not what the service manual recommends.
    Thanks see we are worrying for nothing! Ill take my chances! So its 300$ each time? Any one else have it done!
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    Thanks see we are worrying for nothing! Ill take my chances! So its 300$ each time? Any one else have it done!
    Correction: it's an extra $600 each time. I have spent $1200 and needed no adjustments.

Here is a thread with both sides of the story.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tment-question
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-20-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've heard some encouraging anecdotes that seem to show that it's okay to "stretch it out" a bit longer than the factory suggestion.
    Of course; it IS your choice to make!

As for me: I'll let it slide until perhaps the end of NEXT season... I hope to be up over 24,000 miles by then.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Little help..!!

At harbor freight they sell a mechanics stethescope with a long needle probe. I used this to listen to valves on many machines. If they are loose you will notice because they will sound different from the rest. Seldom if ever will all need adjustment at the same time. Also helps hear other internal problems or your own heart beat...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Everyone must make their own decision about this.

I pulled my plugs and judged the color and lack of carbon build up reason enough to postpone the valve check/adjustment.

It may not be mechanically sound but that's what I told myself.
    ??? I've read a lot of plugs in my time, but that's the first time I have ever heard it being related to the state of one's valve adjustment. I suppose it could theoretically carbon up valves if you had enough leakage to lower compression below that needed for the fuel to fire, but even opening the intake valves several thousanths more as the clearance reduces, should not significantly affect the fuel charge enough to soot up the plugs...especially in these days of automatically adjusting electronic fuel injection.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I had my values checked at 40,000+ and all was good

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

IMHO, a personal thing that is quite dependent on one's resistance to worry, given that we know the dang valve lash will (probably) tighten with age. I was concerned about my 08 RS, starting as soon as I passed the 6K mark, and worried about it till almost 7K, at which time I tore into the project and checked them myself. Only thing I accomplished was peace of mind, and the knowledge that I'd saved myself some money. I do remember that they were near the low for clearance.

A very knowledgable (and well-known/respected) dealer service tech has told me that of all the hundreds of Spyders that they've checked, not one needed thinner shims! That one piece of info was enough to keep me from fretting about my valves until I get well past the 10+K miles I have on my unit now. So, I expect that if I'm lucky enough to Ryde into the mid twenties with the thing, then I might just see fit to delve into it again. Uh, ---------- maybe not. Meanwhile, I hear plenty of noises in there to keep me concerned about what's goin on. I try to console myself with what I've heard and read about this engines' reputation for being real tough, and being encouraged that my oil stays remarkably clean, and I don't seem to burn any.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I checked the valve adjustment on a Aprilia and it's every two years or 10,000 miles.

Mike