Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about Garmin 660 that BRP offers

I am just curious about the Garmin 660 that BRP offers. Does this come with lifetime map updates? I am curious why I would spend close to $999 for their unit when I could get the 660LM for $649 and then buy the BRP mount/kit for $169. ????? Am I missing something? Also wondering if anyone knows about any new Garmin motorcycle GPS's coming out as the 660 has been out for a while.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin updates

When I bought my RT-LTD in 2011 I asked the dealer that exact same question regarding updates. I own an older Garmin and knew it cost for map updates. My dealer told me Updates were free. I have updated it too but not this year. Mine is a 660 but the current version is a 665.
    2011 RT LTD w/XM. And a heavily modified and happy owner.

Spyder Garage

According to the 2013 BRP catalog and website it says it is the Garmin Zumo 660......

Spyder Garage

Default Updates

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    According to the 2013 BRP catalog and website it says it is the Garmin Zumo 660......

Ok. Thought they changed the number. But it is still a lot to pay for their unit as an ad on. All I know is that my updates are free. I don't know if it was part of the deal when you buy the LTD or what. I felt the same way you do about the $$$$$$$$ and if it was worth it if updates weren't included.
    Last edited by Mad Mike; 03-19-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    2011 RT LTD w/XM. And a heavily modified and happy owner.

Spyder Garage

I am just curious about the Garmin 660 that BRP offers. Does this come with lifetime map updates? I am curious why I would spend close to $999 for their unit when I could get the 660LM for $649 and then buy the BRP mount/kit for $169. ????? Am I missing something? Also wondering if anyone knows about any new Garmin motorcycle GPS's coming out as the 660 has been out for a while.
    I'm with you about the $1,000 GPS offered by BRP. Now if you pushed your dealer for a 15% discount, which some offer, it would be a wash ($650 GPS/$55 map updater/$150 GPS mount with harness).

The Zumo 665 mentioned in a couple of responses is basically the 660 model with a GI (graphics inteface) for XM radio signal supplied with the GXM 40 XM head which I call "The Puck" because of its shape.

I am buying a Garmin cradle for $49 for the Spyder and swapping my 665 between my HD Ultra and the Spyder; however, I'm not using the the BRP mount. I have a chrome Hoon Hardware mount previously used on my Ultra that I'm making a bracket for to connect to the same two bolts used with the BRP mount, and I'm connecting via bluetooth to my SENA headset. I'm lucky that I'm getting off only spending about $60.

Spyder Garage

Both the Garmin 660 and 665 are current models, the 665 comes with XM weather/radio and includes the XM receiver puck. The 660 does not have any XM support.

If you but the 660/665 retail it comes with life time map updates. The BRP comes with one free update after that you can pay per update or purchase the life time update for around $80

The BRP comes with spyder mount, which as you state you can buy yourself. However some users have moved there GPS to different mount points, if you do this the normal motorcycle mout that comes with the 660 retail will work.

I got my 660 with the Limited so it was per-wired and I had the cell phone interface and CB wired in at the time of purchase, I like having everything integrated.

Prior to that I had the Zumo 550 as a secondary GPS on my Goldwing and loved it. I like the flatter look of the 660 but I miss the physical buttons of the 550.

There are cheaper Garmin GPS's but the Zumo's are designed for heavy duty motorcycle use, they're waterproof and shock proof.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Prior to that I had the Zumo 550 as a secondary GPS on my Goldwing and loved it. I like the flatter look of the 660 but I miss the physical buttons of the 550.
    I still miss my 550, affectionately referred to as "The Brick".

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my 660!for $615.00 through Sears online
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can not justify spending $1000 on a GPS that BRP is selling with a small screen when you can buy almost the same unit for about $250 with traffic and lifetime update and a larger screen, ok the one they sell is what they call biker friendly so no need to worry about riding in the rain well all the Garmin unites are water resistant to a point and for a few dollars more just get a box of Ziploc bags to cover when you ride in the rain this has worked for me over the past 15 years now of using many Garmin GPS on my bikes and so far never had a problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    I can not justify spending $1000 on a GPS that BRP is selling with a small screen when you can buy almost the same unit for about $250 with traffic and lifetime update and a larger screen, ok the one they sell is what they call biker friendly so no need to worry about riding in the rain well all the Garmin unites are water resistant to a point and for a few dollars more just get a box of Ziploc bags to cover when you ride in the rain this has worked for me over the past 15 years now of using many Garmin GPS on my bikes and so far never had a problem.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing.....I may just stick with my Garmin 550 which I also use the ziploc bag trick because of hearing horror stories of guys going dead riding in the rain. I might also have to find a good mount for my new STS to mount my iPad on it instead with a waterproof case.

Spyder Garage

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.....I may just stick with my Garmin 550 which I also use the ziploc bag trick because of hearing horror stories of guys going dead riding in the rain. I might also have to find a good mount for my new STS to mount my iPad on it instead with a waterproof case.
    Whether it's a 550, 660, or 665, the cradle will always be suspect. Garmin has had a real problem with their cradles but are reluctant to own up to it. Moisture gets to the contacts and the music (and directions) stops, so it doesn't matter that the unit itself is waterproof. ...Don

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default GpS for less with bluetooth and LMT.

I dident have a grand to lay out for a GPS so i baught a Garmin Nuvi 1490 with LMT and a 5" screen mounted to a BRP handle bar mount for the RSS.
    It does all i want even talks and has bluetooth for less than $300.00 i also found a sun shade on e bay so no problem in day time navigation.I also play my music through my i phone that connects to the gps and my ear bud works great.
    Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought a 665 online for my Vulcan it came with the handlebar mount for the bike and a mount for the car. It had lifetime updates included and also fits the cradle on the RT.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth Compatiibility

I have a 660. I had a 765t at one time and the bluetooth version was not compatible with the headset I was using. (Scala G4) Yes, I could listen to music and hear commands but only by connecting via the 3.5mm connector. I talked to Cardo Scala about it and they told me the 765 was qualified on the G4. I know others have had this same issue with other Garmin units. I do not know about Sena but I understand the BRP dongle is not compatible with the Scala units since it is a Sena product. So I guess what I'm saying, there is some mix and match issues here if you want to use the bluetooth capabilities of the GPS.

BTW, I have never had an issue with the cradle on my 660(4 years) and believe me it has been wet.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    Whether it's a 550, 660, or 665, the cradle will always be suspect. Garmin has had a real problem with their cradles but are reluctant to own up to it. Moisture gets to the contacts and the music (and directions) stops, so it doesn't matter that the unit itself is waterproof. ...Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I have a 660. I had a 765t at one time and the bluetooth version was not compatible with the headset I was using. (Scala G4) Yes, I could listen to music and hear commands but only by connecting via the 3.5mm connector. I talked to Cardo Scala about it and they told me the 765 was qualified on the G4. I know others have had this same issue with other Garmin units. I do not know about Sena but I understand the BRP dongle is not compatible with the Scala units since it is a Sena product. So I guess what I'm saying, there is some mix and match issues here if you want to use the bluetooth capabilities of the GPS.

BTW, I have never had an issue with the cradle on my 660(4 years) and believe me it has been wet.
    I personally have been very disappointed with my Garmin 660. I had the "factory set up" with my 2010 RT-S Premier Edition. After about a year, I had the "sound problems" expressed in the first quote above. Garmin suggested doing a "soft boot" which meant opening the battery door, pulling the battery and then replacing, etc.
    This worked sometimes and other times not. I too am suspect that it is the contacts in the cradle, but can't say for certain. I have no idea whether it's due to the weather or not.

I now have a 2013 RT-S and am using the Garmin 660 that I had on my old spyder. I'm still having the same issues, and the cradle is a different one. It's the cradle that you would have for a car with the suction cup. I don't have the factory set up like I did on my first spyder.

I'm just very disappointed that for the money spent, it has exhibited this flaw. Admittedly I haven't talked to Garmin about a fix. However, in another thread I saw that taking that course of action may only get you finger pointing from Garmin to BRP and BRP back to Garmin.

I may just scrap my 660 and get something else as suggested above.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I personally have been very disappointed with my Garmin 660. I had the "factory set up" with my 2010 RT-S Premier Edition. After about a year, I had the "sound problems" expressed in the first quote above. Garmin suggested doing a "soft boot" which meant opening the battery door, pulling the battery and then replacing, etc.
    This worked sometimes and other times not. I too am suspect that it is the contacts in the cradle, but can't say for certain. I have no idea whether it's due to the weather or not.

I now have a 2013 RT-S and am using the Garmin 660 that I had on my old spyder. I'm still having the same issues, and the cradle is a different one. It's the cradle that you would have for a car with the suction cup. I don't have the factory set up like I did on my first spyder.

I'm just very disappointed that for the money spent, it has exhibited this flaw. Admittedly I haven't talked to Garmin about a fix. However, in another thread I saw that taking that course of action may only get you finger pointing from Garmin to BRP and BRP back to Garmin.

I may just scrap my 660 and get something else as suggested above.

Chris
    Have you done all the updates, not the maps but the firmware updates. There was a sound bug that was addressed a while back, worth hooking up to your computer to see if it needs any.

harry
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;

Mods:

Spyder Garage

I did, Harry, and it still is inconsistent. Thanks so much for suggesting. Sometimes it may work for about a day, and then boom, it loses not only the sound of the "lady", but the sound that occurs when I go to switch screens, or even when it initially turns on. I've placed a piece of my business card as a shim to try and keep the battery secure to the connections. This has helped, but not completely.

Chris

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

If you but the 660/665 retail it comes with life time map updates. The BRP comes with one free update after that you can pay per update or purchase the life time update for around $80

Harry I have 660 on my 2012 LIMITED>>how can retail have free map updates BUT brp only have 1
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze
    Inspector Gadgets cupholder & rear deck brake light

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

Harry I have 660 on my 2012 LIMITED>>how can retail have free map updates BUT brp only have 1
    The retail only just had the added benefit of the life time maps about midsummer last year.

Prior to that you had to pay after the first one, assume when BRP struck the deal with Garmin lifetime maps where not on the table.

The only reason that manufactures now offer life time maps is to compete with mobile devices, before mobile device GPS popularity, map update where a great source of income.

Personally my older Zumo 550 handled cell phone integration far better in regarding voice/heard quality. Never had a successfully made a call via the 660 that someone could hear me. Using the BRP intercom/mobile wired set up.

Before anyone jumps in, I was pulled to the side of the road, took 2 hour power nap, had a emergency light flashing, a group nuns surrounding me and was hands free before using my phone on the spyder....

harry
    My Rides;

Favorite Ride;

Mods:

Spyder Garage

Default garmin

I have the 660 (bought it seperatly and the mount and harness) did it myself and have had no problems at all. I listen to audio books all the time so I transfer it to my truck when not on the bike. OK the only problem i have had is sometimes it doesn't see the 6 gig micro card I have in it and I have to turn it off and back on to get it to recognize it. Other than that I like it. Like the fact that you can have your gloves on when pushing buttons also,
    2012 RT SE Viper Red
    BRP Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Stainless Grills, IPS, Utopia backrest, Original Grip Buddies, Shorty antenna, Spyderpops radiator block off, cat shield and Bump Skid, Street Magic Magicflex channelz, Chrome Mirror covers, LED turn indicators on Mirrors, LED rear cargo light, Top rear Break Light Seal Style Floor Boards, Day Runner Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Let me clarify. I didn't mean that the cradles were crap as a whole, but don't be surprised if when you start to have problems, the problems disappear when you change cradles. I'm on my second cradle in two years and the current one is beginning to act up with inconsistent connectivity. ...Don

P.S. Garmin will tell you they have not had problems with their cradles. Don't believe it.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried some (plastic & electronics safe) contact cleaner?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Absolutely! Contact cleaning is the remedy for many electronic gadgets.
    I've been doing this for a long time with just a Q-tip and a little dab of rubbing alcool.
    I do this on my cameras, wireless phones, cell phones in fact on anything electrical I have.
    Some people use W-D-40 to do the same thing. I've had serious issues with that stuff around
    guns so I would not use it around delicate electrical connections.

BTW, I never had any problems with my GPS either. And I've been caught in the rain quite a few times.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Has anyone tried some (plastic & electronics safe) contact cleaner?
    Scotty, I've tried that and I even took a suggestion from Lamont a couple of years ago and tried a pencil eraser. Additionally, I bought a new battery thinking that might be the cause. I did all the updates by Garmin.

Mind you it works. It's just that after awhile I start hearing static, and then the voice and sound disappears. When that happens, it will not turn off when I shut down the power supply, i.e., pulling the plug from the outlet.

I'll figure it out sooner or later......The "shimming" has helped a lot.

Chris