Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Weird Dealer Experience

Yesterday, I was shopping for my first Spyder and decided to visit a large dealer I had never been to before. I shall leave them anonymous here, just in case this was an anomaly. After a short while, I told the dealer salesman I had decided to buy a 2013 RT Ltd. but need to test drive one first, and asked about the license details, etc. He answered my questions and said "you can take one out after the pavement warms up for 10 or 15 minutes".

So, I left shortly thereafter and mentally crossed this dealer off the list.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ummm... How cold was it?
    He might have been trying to say that he wanted the pavement to dry out a bit; the morning dew can spray all over a bike and make a mess that he'd rather avoid...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with that, Caution is in the best interest of the Dealer [liability]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

These are not all season tires, they don't work well at road temperatures below 40 degrees. They aren't as bad as pure summer tires and the traction and stability controls will basically save your ass but I think the dealer was erroring on the side of caution. I wouldn't be crossing him off my list so fast.

Spyder Garage

Default Thats a shame..!!

Lots to see in a large dealership, should have given him the 10/15 min's and seen what happened. Maybe give it another shot. They would not let me test ride one until I gave proof of ability to pay for one..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    These are not all season tires, they don't work well at road temperatures below 40 degrees. They aren't as bad as pure summer tires and the traction and stability controls will basically save your ass but I think the dealer was erroring on the side of caution. I wouldn't be crossing him off my list so fast.

I'm not sure where you got this info from but, some people ride in those temps all the time with no issues. Come on up from the Florida sun and I'll show you these are pretty good cold weather tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I'm not sure where you got this info from but, some people ride in those temps all the time with no issues. Come on up from the Florida sun and I'll show you these are pretty good cold weather tires.
    And that's what I was thinkin too.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride down to 15 as long as the road is dry. If there is some frost on the road I stay off until it warms up enough to dry off.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

But you own your spyders and are used to them, a new spyder rider they have to look at the liability. There is a motorcycle dealer round the corner from me (not cam-am) , that do not allow test rides at all, I walked out but they're still in business.

On my test ride of the spyder the dealer came with me on another Sypder, when I brought my goldwing a while back the dealer just gave me the keys and said go have fun for a couple of hours.

I would hate to be a dealer and have to offer test rides to every Tom dick and harry that walks in, but to do business I guess you have too.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I didn't so much care about not test driving yesterday as I was about only getting to test a $28K plus machine for 10-15 minutes.

Maybe he just got done watching the Jeff Gordon Camaro commercial.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Lots to see in a large dealership, should have given him the 10/15 min's and seen what happened. Maybe give it another shot. They would not let me test ride one until I gave proof of ability to pay for one..
    How does one prove the ability to pay? Flash an AMEX gold card or ??
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got this information by knowing about tire compounding technology from a previous life in the automotive industry. I've also spend more than my fair share of time in cold climates <brrrrrr>

The fact is that non winter rated tires have measurably less available grip at tread temperatures below 40 degrees and it falls off dramatically as the temperatures drop below freezing. Tires with an M&S rating, commonly called "All Season", have compounds who's performance fall off more gradually as they get colder then non all season tires. Winter tires are the best as they require very little temperature to provide a high coefficient of friction.

While the tires on the Spyder are not technically "summer" rated tires, simple physics dictates at lower temperatures their coefficient of friction is less. Does that mean you are going to go spinning wildly off the road when it's below 40 degrees, of course not. What it does mean is the uninitiated rider is going to experience things differently at these colder temps until the tires come up to temperature.

I'm sure those who ride at temps approaching freezing are perfectly happy with the performance of these tires since 95% of the time most riders never come close to approaching the limits of their tires. If you were to actually perform a test at various temperatures you would see quickly how your lap times increase and the temperature decreases but hey, we aren't racing so I suppose it's a moot point.

Like I said earlier, the dealer was probably operating with an abundance of caution, nothing more.

Spyder Garage

It was 40-45 and sunny yesterday about 3:00 when the dealer told me this. The roads were totally dry.

Spyder Garage

Default Believe it or not..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post
    They only allow you to charge 2000.00 so you have to fill out app and get approved. Or cash..!! And then you can't leave the parking lot...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They only allow you to charge 2000.00 so you have to fill out app and get approved. Or cash..!! And then you can't leave the parking lot...

So you had to have a credit application check or have enough cash (basically complete a sale) before a test ride was made available?
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Default Gold teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post
    I flash a smile with my gold teeth!
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Last year when I was shopping for the Spyder, I visited a couple of dealers in my area. The closest one offered test rides. I went back during the week, just after the shop opened up. I had to let them copy my drivers license, other than that no issues getting me out on the Demo Spyder. The sale guy walked me thru the Spyder's controls and operation. He suggested to go for a ride of 20 minutes or so. I came back after about 45 minutes. Had a big smile on my face. We talked some after the ride, got some numbers from him and left. The demo unit was an SE-5, I was sure I wanted the SM-5 before the test ride, however the test ride changed my mind. Three days later I came back and bought my RT-S SE-5.
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Spyder Garage

My dealer is in rural Minnesota so, that may have made a difference but, they gave me a short tutorial on how to run it, gave me the keys and said to go for a good ride. Then, when we returned they made me a very good offer for my trade, offered no interest and no payments for 6 months and sold me their new RT Limited off of the floor. I took it home that afternoon.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

go back and take a second shot at it.
    caution is worth it, on a type of bike
    you've ridden...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Yesterday, I was shopping for my first Spyder and decided to visit a large dealer I had never been to before. I shall leave them anonymous here, just in case this was an anomaly. After a short while, I told the dealer salesman I had decided to buy a 2013 RT Ltd. but need to test drive one first, and asked about the license details, etc. He answered my questions and said "you can take one out after the pavement warms up for 10 or 15 minutes".

So, I left shortly thereafter and mentally crossed this dealer off the list.
    I am not really surprised that a dealer was only offering a 10-15 minute demo-ride. That is long enough for most to get a feel for what Spyder is.

If you felt after that ride you were going to be serious, and started talking hard-numbers, it would be my guess you could ask and receive permission to take it out again for a more serious ride...

A large dealer probably has a lot of people wanting to ride the machines with less than serious intentions of buying.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I'd give them another chance too.
    I still don't buy into the tire issue. Why would a company put tires that don't provide good traction on a vehicle sold in all types of operating environments worlwide?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I'd give them another chance too.
    I still don't buy into the tire issue. Why would a company put tires that don't provide good traction on a vehicle sold in all types of operating environments worlwide?
    First off, the OP might have been confused by some... He stated he would be allowed to take a 10-15 minute ride when the temps warmed up -- NOT that he had to wait 10-15 minutes to take a ride.

To your point; I am sure BRP believes there are not going to be too many people riding in temps at 40 and below consistently... And I am almost sure a majority of owners do not. Just a hunch...

And besides... you cannot have a tire that performs optimally at all temp-ranges. A compound to do that hasn't been developed yet.

So they use a tire that performs best in the temp-range they expect their product to be operated at most frequently. 40 and below starts to fall out of that range... I would think.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I would think BRP would provide warnings on the vehicle, in the manual, and verbals from the dealer if it were unsafe to ride at temps below 40. Law suits over matters less trivial than this issue pop up every day. I drive my car in temps below zero at times without all weather tires and have yet to have handeling problems.
    Having said that give this dealer a second chance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Demo rides 15 - 20 minutes

I have been on two demo rides where BRP brings demo bikes with them. On the first ride the route was only about 20 minutes, and the second would have been 15 had one of the bikes not broke down.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold