Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Nelson Rigg Cl-850 vs 950

Who's got them? How do they fit/look on the spyder and how much do they hold. Are there better options?
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    Who's got them? How do they fit/look on the spyder and how much do they hold. Are there better options?
    I have the 950's, I used them on my Ex 08GS, they fit well and hold a lot of stuff, And look good for soft bags. I would put the straps under the seat, Then close the seat on the straps.
    What i liked about them was i could take them off and put them on my 6n, when needed.
    To add the 950's exspand, I dont think the 850's do?
    Last edited by boborgera; 03-15-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just got the CL850 I went with these because it was a bit bigger and looks. These are my first bags so can't compare with anything else I do like the compartment size and looks like plenty of room for a weekender. Looks nice on the Spyder.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363392563.898593.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363392583.551734.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363392603.913502.jpg

The thing I don't get is they come with a handle and straps if needed but in order to take the saddle bag it requires complete disassembly from the bike, after taking a while to get it just right on the bike I don't want to take them off just for a night.

I will have to find a nice pouch to put clothes and such in and then place that in the bag for easy grab and carry to say a motel stay or whatever.

Hope that and pics help, also I agree straps under the seat. I plan on a passenger seat bag that will tie it all together I may try the straps on the seat then and bag over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Osros; 03-15-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Can't Help..!!

But the pic's above do show me what we are talking about. Look really nice and I'm sure the other model does as well. Ahhh to make a choice what a dilemma. ?.good luck with that...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I know! I like the looks of the 950 but the 850 seems to have a lot more storage. Going to do a 4-5 day trip soon. Decisions, decisions!
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know! I like the looks of the 950 but the 850 seems to have a lot more storage. Going to do a 4-5 day trip soon. Decisions, decisions!
    If you rough it a bit I can see 4 -5 days of supplies in these bags no problem.

Spyder Garage

Here is the setup I used. I had to make some brackets at work because my wife had to be able to use the rear foot pegs. I had the brackets anodized and it worked well for us. The bags did cover up the turn signals if looking at the rear from an angle. But I also have the turn signals in the front fenders so it didn't matter.

I don't use them any more as I bought the BRP Givi hard bags last summer.

IMG_0959 (2).jpgIMG_0949 (2).jpgIMG_0962 (2).jpgIMG_0960 (2).jpg
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Great investment 950 Nelson Rigg soft bags.

I have the 950s mounted under the seat just forward of the turn signals and tied down with the enclosed straps
    They do hold quit a good amount of clothing as well as extra zipper pouches outside and inside,the bags are well made and come with rain covers also they contour to the angle of the rear side panels so they look really good.
    For my money the 950s are a better buy and visually fit the style of the spyder.I like them so well i havent removed them even during summer riding when i carry less clothing,since my purchase i have decided to keep them on and save the money difference between the Givi bags i was going to get.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

SpyderRX,

I have the 950's myself and when I go on long trips I put my clothes in space traveling bags for luggage and they work great. Your clothes stay dry and you can fold them to fit the saddle bags and you store alot of clothes in them. Hope this gives you some ideas.....

Lil Rabbit

arntufun

I am interested in these for occasional use, can some of you owners that have had these for awhile give an honest opinion.

My question is, after prlonged use can you tell me how your paint looks now where these rest ???? I'm just worried with constant rubbing that my Spyder will develop scuffs from the bags rubbing the rear fairings.

Spyder Garage

Not trying to rob this post, but has anyone ever looked into the Givi soft side saddle bags? They seem to make good quality bags. I'm just not sure how they would fit on a spyder.

http://www.giviusa.com/soft-luggages/Saddle-bags/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I am interested in these for occasional use, can some of you owners that have had these for awhile give an honest opinion.

My question is, after prlonged use can you tell me how your paint looks now where these rest ???? I'm just worried with constant rubbing that my Spyder will develop scuffs from the bags rubbing the rear fairings.
    I've got the CL-950s, they don't scratch up the panels at all-- there's a soft foam pad that rests between the bags and the body. I guess if you're not careful installing/removing the bags with the straps you *could* scratch up the panels, but surely you're careful, right?

That said, I don't keep the bags on there all the time, I just put them on for trips. If you wanted bags on there permanently, I'd suggest getting the hard bags, or substituting a passenger seat bag (or even a topbox, which may be next mod).

BTW, plenty more details on the 950s in this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...uxe-Saddlebags
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post

Randy, I will sell you mine if you're interested. They are in like new condition. I was going to try and use them on the sled but changed my mind, am going with a bag made for the doo.

As stated by Dave they should not scratch your Spyder as they do have foam between the bag and the bike. But if the Spyder is covered in grit it would most likely scratch the finish, just as washing the Spyder before rinsing off excessive dirt will scratch the finish.

PM me if interested.

Mark
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the 950's and they worked well for me on my old GS. I over pack and added a rollbag accross the back seat for 5 day trips. If they get wet or are exposed to the sun they will fade. The stock straps did not fit under the seat very well if the bag is mounted to the rear enough for a passenger. I called N-R and they provided an extention free of charge.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Randy, I will sell you mine if you're interested. They are in like new condition. I was going to try and use them on the sled but changed my mind, am going with a bag made for the doo.

As stated by Dave they should not scratch your Spyder as they do have foam between the bag and the bike. But if the Spyder is covered in grit it would most likely scratch the finish, just as washing the Spyder before rinsing off excessive dirt will scratch the finish.

PM me if interested.

Mark

Thanks Mark, PM sent !!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the 850's? (the larger bags). They work great. They have ample room for a 5 day trip. I placed the straps under the seat with no problems. The bottom of the bags DID get wet while riding through a heavy downpour for an extended period of time. I would give them a thumbs up

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjoe View Post
    I have the 850's? (the larger bags). They work great. They have ample room for a 5 day trip. I placed the straps under the seat with no problems. The bottom of the bags DID get wet while riding through a heavy downpour for an extended period of time. I would give them a thumbs up
    Are they large enough to fit a helmet? Also how many grocery bags do you think would fit in each bag?
    Last edited by donec; 03-28-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Are they large enough to fit a helmet? Also how many grocery bags do you think would fit in each bag?
    I am able to put on a full helmet can close it with slight bulge. As far a groceries hard to say I only shop for 2 to 3 days worth at a time all mine fit in the frunk. Should be more than enough room for small grocery runs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Osros View Post
    I am able to put on a full helmet can close it with slight bulge. As far a groceries hard to say I only shop for 2 to 3 days worth at a time all mine fit in the frunk. Should be more than enough room for small grocery runs.

Just to be clear you are talking about being able to put your helmet in one Nelson Rigg CL850 saddlebags. Correct?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

I wound up ordering these:
    http://m.motorcycle-superstore.com/1...addlebags.aspx

went with these over the nelson Riggs because I wanted more store than the 950's but not the square look of the 850's. they seem like good bags. Will see how the work out on my trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Just to be clear you are talking about being able to put your helmet in one Nelson Rigg CL850 saddlebags. Correct?
    Yes the CL850

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wound up ordering these:
    http://m.motorcycle-superstore.com/1...addlebags.aspx

went with these over the nelson Riggs because I wanted more store than the 950's but not the square look of the 850's. they seem like good bags. Will see how the work out on my trip.

Like them look pretty good, I like the top loading. And they look expandable with zipper if I'm not mistaken. Let us know!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Osros View Post
    Like them look pretty good, I like the top loading. And they look expandable with zipper if I'm not mistaken. Let us know!

I have the 950's They have an outer expandable pocket, Don't know about the 850's?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I have the 950's They have an outer expandable pocket, Don't know about the 850's?
    The 850 does not expand but also already think it's big enough for most use. And I preferred the square look.

Spyder Garage

They are expandable. I like the way the look and mount. Going to try them out for a trip at the end o the week