Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Enclosed trailer size to transport 2 RT's?

As a strange turn of events and I may need to use a truck while enroute to Spyderfest so that will mean trailering the spyders due to a different need for the truck along the way at the same time - anyone have any idea what size enclosed box trailer is needed to accommodate two RT's? 12 or 14' sufficient?
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

There's a real damage risk with a 14 foot trailer - I would opt for a 16 foot trailer, at least. Remember, you need a 7+ wide trailer to get a ramp wide enough for the RT. Finally, my trailer is 7 feet high, which gives me a ramp length that precludes bottoming out on entry or exit.

Also, make sure it has electric brakes, and that they WORK with your tow rig.

Good luck.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you could find an 8x14 trailer (probably used for tansporting 3 snowmobiles), it ought to have enough room in it to mount them staggered and "nose to toes"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dragonrider is Right!

I would pay attention to what Dragonrider posted regarding the ramp. I recently pulled my RT home on a coooold day after having the hitch put on. I have a 16 foot open trailer with a fold down ramp. When I tried to back it off, the RT bottomed out. Got off of it and tried again, it still bottomed out. After 45 minutes, in the dark, in 20 degree weather, of adding wood to shim up the front and staying OFF the bike, I got it off and swore it would never happen again...The bike hits on a piece of roundbar that somewhat protects the catalytic converter or expansion chamber or whatever it is. It wasn't a big deal when the dealership loaded it. I would ride your Spyder to the trailer dealer and make SURE it loads and unloads easily before buying. I'm looking for an enclosed trailer to haul mine in when necessary. You can buy a NICE one for less than the Can-Am RT-622. That's hard to believe but true..Just food for thought!!
    Last edited by Mad Mike; 03-15-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Correection
    2011 RT LTD w/XM. And a heavily modified and happy owner.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've seen 2 RT's put in a 7x14 without too much difficulity, but you do have to bounce and drag the backend around a little. Len at Pit Bull does it all the time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    There's a real damage risk with a 14 foot trailer - I would opt for a 16 foot trailer, at least. Remember, you need a 7+ wide trailer to get a ramp wide enough for the RT. Finally, my trailer is 7 feet high, which gives me a ramp length that precludes bottoming out on entry or exit.

Also, make sure it has electric brakes, and that they WORK with your tow rig.

Good luck.
    7 foot high trailer???????????

DOUBLE decker?????
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great replies all and thanks! I think once you get to 16' they are usually dual axel with brakes (and licensed in my state). The truck already has a brake controller so that is in place should I get that kind.

I have a 10' open snowmobile trailer that will fit one with a tilt pan. I have to put a couple boards at the lip when tilting when driving it up (and drive up on an angle) to avoid hitting the pointed nose so the ramp thoughts are good to consider on a 7' high.

As a plus I could use that same trailer for wintering rather than storage at the dealer so I can almost justify this as a purchase rather than borrow or renting.

Thanks again everyone!
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

I have a Wells Cargo Cycle Wagon. It is 20'x 79" & 6' tall inside. When I load my RT & my wife's GS (RS) , I have about 2.5'-3' to spare. I wouldn't go less than 18' & it would be tight.

Best thing to do is to park both RT's end to end, with sufficient space between them, and measure the space they use. Make sure you also allow space for tie down straps.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I have a Wells Cargo Cycle Wagon. It is 20'x 79" & 6' tall inside. When I load my RT & my wife's GS (RS) , I have about 2.5'-3' to spare. I wouldn't go less than 18' & it would be tight.

Best thing to do is to park both RT's end to end, with sufficient space between them, and measure the space they use. Make sure you also allow space for tie down straps.
    Mark are you going toe to toe so to speak or overlapping the tails a bit?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post
    Mark are you going toe to toe so to speak or overlapping the tails a bit?

No overlapping
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

A 7' x 20' enclosed trailer works fine. Holds 2, 1 behind the other.

Spyder Garage

When you find something you think may be suitable, lay out the inside dimensions, including thye clear door opening (usually inside the tension cables), and try to find a suitable parking arrangement. Remember that no part of the Spyder can go over the line at any time ("trailer walls"). If you cna't get them to fit, find another trailer. If you look at a 16', go for the eight foot width. it will make things much easier.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rt trailer width

My enclosed trailer rear door ramp opening is 75 inches wide. This should work for loading my RT. My trailer is 16 feet long. I have not used this trailer for my RT yet. Are there any concerns I need before taking this trailer 800 miles to Spyderfest? spyderfitz from Minnesota

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just grease the wheel bearing up good and air up the tires!
    (Including the spare!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black