Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default full face vs half vs beenie helmet

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I always wear a Full Face. Too many years in the fire service to wear anything else. Go to a few motorcycle down calls and you'll be wearing one too...
    Sorry to take issue with you here Ron, but I too have spent most of my life in the fire service (including 6 years on the NOFD Rescue Squad) and frequently wear a half helmet and if I legally could still in LA, would occasionally wear no helmet on the Spyder. I won't beat to death the old helmet no helmet safety issues, in fact I concede that helmet wearing is safer. But anyone who feels they are safe because they're wearing fiberglass on their head while riding 70 on the interstate is fooling themselves. Speaking of motorcycle accident responses, I once found a full face helmet some distance from the accident with the head still in it. I have also seen the most macabre injuries imaginable suffered by properly seat belted auto drivers, yet I still drive.
    The point being we all accept some level of risk, and by riding motorcycles we accept a higher level than the majority. If the majority can determine I need to wear a helmet, or that I need to wear a particular helmet, then can't they just cut to the chase and ban motorcycle riding altogether?
    None of this diatribe should be taken as being "anti-helmet", everyone needs to determine their own level of acceptable risk, I personally believe that the only sure way to survive the accident is to avoid the accident. I ride defensively 100% of the time and I feel that what's in my head is far more important than what's on it. That being said I don't ride scared. I accept the additional risk and enjoy the ride, as ultimately no matter how safe we pretend we are, none of us gets out of here alive.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmets are not a gurantee of anything

That said. I'll take my chances wearing one rather than raising the stakes by not.

Many of us have had the unpleasant experiences you speak of. Those experiences may or may not impact the choices we make. Speaking for myself, they did.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    That being said I don't ride scared. I accept the additional risk and enjoy the ride, as ultimately no matter how safe we pretend we are, none of us gets out of here alive.
    I agree with you on one good point: If you're willing to accept the risk:

But are your friends and loved ones willing to do the same if your riding experience turns sour? (JMHO)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I agree with you on one good point: If you're willing to accept the risk:

But are your friends and loved ones willing to do the same if your riding experience turns sour? (JMHO)
    Bob,
    Think of the principle behind what you are saying. If I should wear a helmet because of how an injury would affect family and friends, then what business do I have riding in the first place.
    If proper compassion for loved ones is derived from diverting risk, then sitting carefully on the couch equates one with Mother Teresa. But more to the point if risk diversion is the goal, then what is the logical conclusion? If roughly the same percentage of riders die in helmet law states as in non helmet law states (and they do), and eliminating risk is the goal, then why should the majority allow we irresponsible few to make the choice to ride?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    Sorry to take issue with you here Ron, but I too have spent most of my life in the fire service (including 6 years on the NOFD Rescue Squad) and frequently wear a half helmet and if I legally could still in LA, would occasionally wear no helmet on the Spyder. I won't beat to death the old helmet no helmet safety issues, in fact I concede that helmet wearing is safer. But anyone who feels they are safe because they're wearing fiberglass on their head while riding 70 on the interstate is fooling themselves. Speaking of motorcycle accident responses, I once found a full face helmet some distance from the accident with the head still in it. I have also seen the most macabre injuries imaginable suffered by properly seat belted auto drivers, yet I still drive.
    The point being we all accept some level of risk, and by riding motorcycles we accept a higher level than the majority. If the majority can determine I need to wear a helmet, or that I need to wear a particular helmet, then can't they just cut to the chase and ban motorcycle riding altogether?
    None of this diatribe should be taken as being "anti-helmet", everyone needs to determine their own level of acceptable risk, I personally believe that the only sure way to survive the accident is to avoid the accident. I ride defensively 100% of the time and I feel that what's in my head is far more important than what's on it. That being said I don't ride scared. I accept the additional risk and enjoy the ride, as ultimately no matter how safe we pretend we are, none of us gets out of here alive.
    I don't see that we disagree here, so no 'Issue' taken. Of course there are no guarantees, risk is inherent in everything, even sitting in front of your TV.

I guess the point is risk vs. gain. Putting a $1,000 full face helmet on your head and riding like an idiot is not recommended. But I think we all understand these variations.

Apples to apples risk reduction is always going to fall to the full face helmet. It's not my position, it's just the way it is. I understand that people have legitimate reasons to wear other helmets and I'm not trying to rain on their parade. I don't wear full chest protection or even an armored jacket all the time so I'm right there with some of this.

With more facts people are able to make a more informed decision. I'm not the safety police. If I am on any crusade it's an information crusade only. I think everyone should ride the way they like best.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't see that we disagree here, so no 'Issue' taken. Of course there are no guarantees, risk is inherent in everything, even sitting in front of your TV.

I guess the point is risk vs. gain. Putting a $1,000 full face helmet on your head and riding like an idiot is not recommended. But I think we all understand these variations.

Apples to apples risk reduction is always going to fall to the full face helmet. It's not my position, it's just the way it is. I understand that people have legitimate reasons to wear other helmets and I'm not trying to rain on their parade. I don't wear full chest protection or even an armored jacket all the time so I'm right there with some of this.

With more facts people are able to make a more informed decision. I'm not the safety police. If I am on any crusade it's an information crusade only. I think everyone should ride the way they like best.
    You guys are both saying the same thing in different ways. Everything we do involves risk. I have witnessed more people die in car crashes than on motorcycles. The obvious reason being there are more cars on the road than motorcycles where I live. This wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet debate is as old as the wear a seat belt or don't wear a seat belt debates from the 60's and 70's. I could go out right now and find more than a handful of seniors who well tell us it is safer not to wear a seat belt. Some will even tell us stories about how not wearing a seat belt saved their lives. The reality is in 2013 the mainstream believe seat belts save lives. Helmets are the same thing. We have been indoctrinated into believing it is common sense that if you wear protection it MAY save your life. The more protection the better chance of survival. Take less risk while on a motorcycle, the better chance of survival. No guarantees though. I can list off for you a number of vehicles in North America that even though you are wearing a seat belt, it may not keep you in the vehicle in a crash. (Just going off topic for second, anyone who reads this, if your seat belt assembly has a D clip on the door instead of on the B pillar and a retracter inside the door, get rid of it. You are safer on a motorcycle naked without a without a helmet.

Beanie helmet: Shifts easy in an impact (even when fitted properly) and as result may leave portions of you head exposed and unprotected, offers zero face protection. Potential for hearing loss. I have one. I wear it for motorcycle parades, events, processions, slow speed stuff.

1/2 or 3/4: way better than a beanie helmet, does not offer chin protection. Better protection on face, but not the best. I don't own one. You take a grasshopper in the face at 70 mph, and holy stink it stings for a while.

Modular: Has a hinge lock system. As good as a FF helmet, but you run the risk of failure of the mechanism which results in it being only as effective as a 1/2 or 3/4. I find them noisy.

FF: The ultimate in protection. I like this kind of helmet because I want to do more than up my chances of survival. I don't want to be maimed, and I don't want to suffer any more than I have to. I am ugly enough and I have a low threshold for unnecessary pain over long periods of time. They get warm to hot. Price I am willing to pay.

I love my life and the people that love me. My plan is to be on this planet as long as I can be, and I will protect myself accordingly. Every time I put my badge on I take a risk at not making it home. I have been shot at 3 times in my life and I made it home every time. That's the goal whether I am going to work or riding a motorcycle. I think I have a enough risk in my life, but others do take more and don't manage it well. I inherently care about other people, so to the person who opened this can of worms and posted this thread: Don't just wear the safest helmet, take care of yourself out on the streets too, the world is a more dangerous place on a motorcycle. Everybody be safe. Cheers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't this fun?
    Maybe we should just go back to "discussing" which oil is the best one to use...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strictlyred View Post
    I know this has been done to death on other sites, but I cannot find any info on helmets on this site.
    On my 2 wheels I wore mostly full face helmets, but on spyder I have been wearing beanie style.
    I would love to know what others wear and why.
    I am debating on going back to ff
    I use to like my cool stainless WWII helmet until an older friend stood me face front of on a wall. My nose was touching it. He explained to me that the wall represented the concrete, that would sand my nose completely off. What a wake up call. I now where a Shoei with horns.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    Only full face here.
    It keeps the rocks from busting your lip.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Modular full face Nolan N43 trilogy outlaw, for most all riding with distance.

I plan on a half helmet with removable face mask for around town and store runs. Has a bit more protection from the standard half helmet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363394636.502606.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

my 2 cents, anyone Riding through B.C. Canada, Beanies are no ILLEGAL Period, I wear a full helmet, all the time, it just makes sense to me , but also my opinion, P.S. live in Alberta.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wear a modular full-faced helmet because if I crash, I want my helmet scrubbing on the pavement, not my face.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermyke990 View Post
    I have a full face Icon Variant Etched in black, probably the coolest street helmet I've seen, I bought it this past summer when I was originally planning to get my m/c license and grab a left over '12 rs. I like the curved shield since it provides room for my glasses.
    Been a huge fan of that style of lid in terms of looks and a few companies seem to have similar stuff out mixing the MX into a bike lid and they look sick.
    few questions as I wasn't sure and didn't feel like dropping the $ when I currently love my helmets.
    1) and lift from the sun visor at triple digit speeds? I know it's vented to allow air to slip under the bottom to over the helmet but anything can catch air especially if you have a lower screen.
    2) with the less round shape of the lid and the protruding chin area do you feel it catch more doing rear checks? I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head round something that is less "slippery" so to speak.
    Really interested
    (didn't mean to hijack the thread)

arntufun

FF only for me !!!!! A helmet is important, but you must also know the other essentials as well. A good pair of flip flops, shorts and a wife beater shirt should be intricate components to everyones riding gear.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I'm an old racer. I have seen the pavement slide by a couple of inches from my nose, and I have been knocked unconscious even though wearing a helmet. I have examined the scratches and scrapes on "used" helmets before I discarded them. My advice is to wear the best quality, best fitting, fullest coverage, quietest helmet you can afford to wear. Same goes for leathers, firesuits, or other protective gear in the racing business. You may have to get used to the added heat and inconvenience, but it's a lot easier than getting used to eating through a straw, looking at scars in a mirror every day, or wearing a hearing aid. Your choice, make it wisely. JMHO

Spyder Garage

I always wear a full face helmet on my motorcycles, snowmobiles and ATV. I was a a military pilot for 27 years and have crashed twice. The ONLY thing that saved my life, and that of my crew, were our helmets. I have also crashed a motorcycle where my first point of contact was my chin (very common in motorcycle accidents) and the helmet was ground down at that point an inch! If you use anything less that a full face Snell/DOT you're taking an increased chance of fatal injury.

When I started riding back in the early sixties, the common saying was there are two types of riders. Those that have dumped their bikes and those that are getting ready to dump them. I think that is still true today and plan for that event.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I always wear a full face helmet on my motorcycles, snowmobiles and ATV. I was a a military pilot for 27 years and have crashed twice. The ONLY thing that saved my life, and that of my crew, were our helmets. I have also crashed a motorcycle where my first point of contact was my chin (very common in motorcycle accidents) and the helmet was ground down at that point an inch! If you use anything less that a full face Snell/DOT you're taking an increased chance of fatal injury.

When I started riding back in the early sixties, the common saying was there are two types of riders. Those that have dumped their bikes and those that are getting ready to dump them. I think that is still true today and plan for that event.
    I have heard it phrased this way:
    There are two types of motorcycle/spyder riders; those that have had a "get off", and those who are going to have a "get off"

I posted earlier about my full face helmet. But I admit sometimes I don't wear all the gear I should. This year it should be easier, as I have been able to afford a riding jacket and riding gloves. I will say this in my defense though. I never wear shorts, always jeans and boots. I have also found that buying gear made for riding has made me a lot more comfortable. The old leather jacket I had was hot, and had no vents. I look forward to riding with my new jacket, as it has a removable liner and zippered vents.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Some may find this worth the read.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm6123.pdf

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post

Thanks, I'll send it to the Maine Legislature!
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    FF only for me !!!!! A helmet is important, but you must also know the other essentials as well. A good pair of flip flops, shorts and a wife beater shirt should be intricate components to everyones riding gear.
    Randy
    Are your Flip-flops Snell-certified, or just DOT??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post

I read to say they want manditory helment laws. I disagree. I do not ride with out one as I posted, but I am very tired of goverment telling me what I have to do.
    Go back a couple years, CPSC wanted seat belts on motorcycles. Then it was steering with the back wheel. Whe AMA asked them to demo, they had to admit nobody could ride their model, but it was still a good idea. Kids ATV banned becaused the the kids might eat the lead in the battery.
    Off my rant on big brother
    Oldmanzues

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Randy
    Are your Flip-flops Snell-certified, or just DOT??

I'll have to ask Holly and get back to you..........

Spyders in the ADKS 7-28-11 254 (2).jpg

Spyder Garage

helmets of choice, with removable jaws

Had the ST 1 on when I took an unexpected flight of more than 15 feet, It worked great, the Jaw from the
    helmet hit the windshield rather than my pretty mug. I landed on my back so can't attest to anymore than
    what occurred. The back of my head hit very hard, yet all I heard was a slight cush. So my brain is still ok, I think
    Last edited by TicketBait; 03-16-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: more info

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have three half helmets (one is pictured in my signature) and two 3/4 helmets. Today I wore one of the 1/2 helmets while out riding. I do wear ear plugs, which has been another topic discussed.

I was a volunteer FF/EMTI for many years and have seen my share of wrecks from bicycles to big rigs and plane crashes to pedestrian vs vehicle etc. I've seen people survive who should have died and people die who should have survived. I've washed lots of internals off the road. There are those that still appear in my sleep. I remember going from the shellacked hard leather helmet to the fiberglass short tail helmet. I didn't want to give up my old "black hat".

I am considering a FF or modular. But it's just, considering for now. By the way, most motor cops I see wear the typical police helmet (below) which is very similar to a 3/4. In fact those officers who conduct the Advanced Driver Course in a city near me all wear the typical helmet.
    Last edited by bruiser; 03-16-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Poor Holly........

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I'll have to ask Holly and get back to you..........

Spyders in the ADKS 7-28-11 254 (2).jpg