Spyder Garage

Default gerbings connector question

I think I have a Gerbings connector under my seat or it could be for a battery tender. Is there any way to tell what it is it will work with my Gerbings can I also use it for my battery tender?

Spyder Garage

A battery charger cable uses an SAE plug. Two terminals, with one exposed male and one rubber encased female. It usually has a rubber cap that covers the terminals, so it may not look like what I described at first glance. A heated gear cable uses a coaxial cable, usually equipped with a rubber male plug to keep it from being exposed. There are adapters available to go from one to another.

http://www.powerlet.com/images/image...g&maxWidth=600
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I guess I did not make my self clear I am sure it is a gerbings cord as my heated gear works. I want to take my 2 pin connector on my battery tender and put a male garbing end on and use the gerbings connector for clothes and battery tender . Any body see any problems ?

Spyder Garage

My Gerbing connectors are hooked directly to the battery posts on both Spyders & my Goldwing. I use them for my battery tenders and have built a standard 12v female connector (i.e. cigarette lighter receptacle) that connects to them as well. This gives me a 15A plug that'll power whatever I plug into it, like my air compressor. I have zip-tied it to the cable running to the passenger seat under the saddle & stuff them down that same square hole when not in use.

Very versatile & works great!

Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default Plug under seat

As Scotty says, you can get adapters from single plug to two amd vice versa. The charger adapter comes with something like a 3 amp fuse. Gerbing gear needs at least 10 and maybe 15, depending on how much electrically heated gear you are using. On their web site, they have the different draw of jackets, gloves, etc, as well as adapters.
    Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ace2002 View Post
    I guess I did not make my self clear I am sure it is a gerbings cord as my heated gear works. I want to take my 2 pin connector on my battery tender and put a male garbing end on and use the gerbings connector for clothes and battery tender . Any body see any problems ?
    No sweat! Use this Powerlet adapter or a Gerbing equal. http://www.powerlet.com/product/coax...o-sae-cable/54 You can also get a coax to cigarette adapter or coax to Powerlet adapter if that works better for you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    No sweat! Use this Powerlet adapter or a Gerbing equal. http://www.powerlet.com/product/coax...o-sae-cable/54 You can also get a coax to cigarette adapter or coax to Powerlet adapter if that works better for you.
    I didn't know there were such adapters and rewired a Batt Tender with one of the Gerbing plugs a couple years ago when I got the RT. Trouble with this is the tender can be only used on the Can Am.

Good info Scotty..thanks.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I didn't know there were such adapters and rewired a Batt Tender with one of the Gerbing plugs a couple years ago when I got the RT. Trouble with this is the tender can be only used on the Can Am.

Good info Scotty..thanks.
    No problem...

Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly